Compufire with 09 distributor opinions?

Old July 8th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dragenwagen

Default Compufire with 09 distributor opinions?

My thoughts on those...

My '66 had a petronix with a 009. when I bought it. worked fine for a
week. then it just died. could not get the thing to fire right. it died
in the middle of traffic. went home yanked it out and put in points and
condenser... it fired right up and has run strong for the last 4 years. ok
so I have to replace and adjust the points every now and then. and I can
replace the points on the side of the road and I'm off in a jiffy.

personally i will stick to points and condenser.

and like the others say... 009's are a crap shoot.

dw

Old July 9th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan[_1_]

Michael Cecil wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 08:22:18 -0500, "dragenwagen"
> > wrote:
>

>>My thoughts on those...
>>
>>My '66 had a petronix with a 009. when I bought it. worked fine for a
>>week. then it just died. could not get the thing to fire right. it died
>>in the middle of traffic. went home yanked it out and put in points and
>>condenser... it fired right up and has run strong for the last 4 years. ok
>>so I have to replace and adjust the points every now and then. and I can
>>replace the points on the side of the road and I'm off in a jiffy.
>>
>>personally i will stick to points and condenser.
>>
>>and like the others say... 009's are a crap shoot.
>>
>>dw

> Well, thanks for all the input guys. I was just asking about the
> Compufire not the 009 really, since I've had the 009 for 20 years and it's
> never given me any problems.
>
> So one for and one against the compufire type system and two against 009s.
> Hmmmm...

Compufire and Pertronix both work fine when used and installed properly.
You should never leave the ignition power on for more than a minute or
two, if the engine is not running. Having a points replacement unit in
the distributor doesn't change that.

Compufire and Accu-fire are essentially the same product, just packaged
under a different name.

Pertronix is a slightly different design, but works the same.

I prefer Pertronix, I have used and installed several of them over the
years in street and race engines with zero problems. 9000rpms and solid
timing, no jumping around or any erratic behavior. And this with a
standard cheap 009 that was properly prepped and modified for the
application.

I have also used a couple of Compufires, until one decided to fail on me
at 3am, 40 miles from home. (carry points and condensator in the
glovebox just in case). The way it failed, is that the rotating disc
that holds the little trigger magnets cracked, and blew to bits. This
could nt have happened with a Pertronix, because of the different
design. Pertronix also has better quality wires and grommet for the
wires that keeps water and dirt out.

Jan

--
--------------------------------
Beer is made by fermentation caused by bacteria feeding on yeast cells
Old July 9th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Michael Cecil" > wrote in message
I'll look into the Pertronix I guess
> but maybe just sticking with normal points is a more reliable solution.
> --

i've got a pertronix that i bought when they were first introduced...been
working fine all these years....

Old July 9th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan[_1_]

Michael Cecil wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 23:08:19 -0400, Jan > wrote:
>
> Thanks for the advice Jan.
>

>>timing, no jumping around or any erratic behavior. And this with a
>>standard cheap 009 that was properly prepped and modified for the
>>application.

> Properly prepped and modified? Any online references to this procedure?

Sorry, none that I know of.

>>I have also used a couple of Compufires, until one decided to fail on me
>>at 3am, 40 miles from home. (carry points and condensator in the
>>glovebox just in case). The way it failed, is that the rotating disc
>>that holds the little trigger magnets cracked, and blew to bits. This
>>could nt have happened with a Pertronix, because of the different
>>design. Pertronix also has better quality wires and grommet for the
>>wires that keeps water and dirt out.

> Hmmm, I wonder why Aircooled.net sells the Compufire. John usually sells
> the better items, I thought. Anyhow, I'll look into the Pertronix I guess
> but maybe just sticking with normal points is a more reliable solution.

I got all my pertronix units from aircooled.net.
John did tell me that the only real quality issues he knows between
them, was that the Pertronix units were defective OUT OF THE BOX more
often than Compufires. In those rare cases they replaced the unit with a
good one without a hassle. I never got bad ones though, or my friends
who got them from him.
Maybe they stopped carrying them because of this risk, however small,
and decided to stick with just one brand for simplicity.

Jan

--