Swapping V6 with V8 on 96 Audi A4 Quattro

Old March 14th 06, 06:37 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Swapping V6 with V8 on 96 Audi A4 Quattro

Hi all,
I need some help from those on this board who completed this project
successfully. I want to buy a used 4.2L V8 and replace the stock V6 on
this A4. I don't even know where to start so I need your help on this
one. How do I get started on this? Cost is always a concern. Thank
you.

Old March 14th 06, 11:48 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

In message . com>
"darock" > wrote:

> I need some help from those on this board who completed this project
> successfully. I want to buy a used 4.2L V8 and replace the stock V6 on
> this A4. I don't even know where to start so I need your help on this
> one. How do I get started on this? Cost is always a concern.

I believe that one of the tuning firms in Germany managed to install the
V8 into a B5 version of the A4. However, it did involve extending the
engine bay, requiring fabrication of many parts including front wings
(fenders?), bonnet (hood?) etc. I'm sure that the conversion was far
from cheap.

The problem here is that the V8 is longer than any engine which was
fitted to the B5 at the factory. You can't just move the engine back in
the engine bay because the drive to the front axle comes straight out of
the side of the gearbox. Moving the engine back would require the
gearbox to move back which, in turn, would put the front axle further
back.

The only thing I would say is that the project was undertaken with the
4172cc V8. The newer, 4163cc V8, as fitted to allroad and B6/B7 S4 and
the C6 A6 is slightly shorter than the older power unit, so if you can
get hold of one of these, it might make the task just a little easier.

I suspect that this is an project which would be beyond 99.99% of
private individuals.

Old March 14th 06, 01:54 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

In article . com>,
darock > wrote:
>Hi all,
>I need some help from those on this board who completed this project
>successfully. I want to buy a used 4.2L V8 and replace the stock V6 on
>this A4. I don't even know where to start so I need your help on this
>one. How do I get started on this? Cost is always a concern. Thank
>you.

Are you certain you can even fit an older V8 into the car? For the
more recent V8 S4, Audi redesigned the engine (valve drive chains in
the rear) in order to get it into the engine compartment. In any event,
I think you are looking at a rather complicated and expensive
proposition. Even if you could do the surgery, have you thought about
the impact on other systems (transmission, suspension, brakes)? I think
that by the time you address all of the issues, you would be better
off (it would be cheaper) buying a used V8 S4.

- Charlie
04 S4 MT6
06 A4 2.0T Tip Avant
Old March 14th 06, 01:58 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Doug,
You might want to hang out on the motorgeek forums - the swaps folks are
doing there are amazing. As Peter said, the swap is alot more than just
shoehorning in a different engine - lots of custom stuff needs to be
fabricated, etc. You could probably find an engine by posting to Audifans
or on Audiworld, that would be the easy part. As cost is a concern,
possibly you should be searching for a supercharger for your V6 (PES?)
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

ups.com...

Old March 14th 06, 10:58 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Thanks Everyone,
Upon further review of all of your postings, I think I'll get on
Craigslist and see if I can buy a used S4 and save all the headache
(and scraped knuckles) in trying to do the swap. I knew that this
would be a major project and definitely will not be cheap. Why
reinvent the wheels, sort to speak, and jsut get a used S4 since Audi
already spent millions of dollars on the design.

Old March 15th 06, 01:28 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

I think da-rock's come to his senses!

Chris

oups.com...

Old March 15th 06, 05:00 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"darock" wrote
> Thanks Everyone,
> Upon further review of all of your postings, I think I'll get on
> Craigslist and see if I can buy a used S4 and save all the headache
> (and scraped knuckles) in trying to do the swap. I knew that this
> would be a major project and definitely will not be cheap.

Neither will be buying a 2004 S4. The earlier S4s did not have V8 engines.
Alas, at least you'll have better reliability compared to a '96 A4 with a
swapped V8 engine.

Cheers,

Pete