1989 Dodge Daytona

Old June 7th 04, 01:00 PM
Nana_M

Default 1989 Dodge Daytona

I need a diagram of a driver's door for a 1989 Dodge Daytona. The door no
longer closes properly. Does anyone know how to adjust the "pin and
hinge" to align the door so it will shut tightly? Also has anyone worked
on the paint on this model? I have a lot of white peeling and fading on
my car (red). Thanks for your input.

Old June 7th 04, 03:25 PM
chatterx

the white peeling is your clearcoat coming off, it will need repainted, as
for the door question i will have to look in my book
lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 7th 04, 03:25 PM
chatterx

the white peeling is your clearcoat coming off, it will need repainted, as
for the door question i will have to look in my book
lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 8th 04, 07:05 PM
Circuit Breaker

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 08:00:21 -0400, Nana_M wrote:

> I need a diagram of a driver's door for a 1989 Dodge Daytona. The door no
> longer closes properly. Does anyone know how to adjust the "pin and
> hinge" to align the door so it will shut tightly? Also has anyone worked
> on the paint on this model? I have a lot of white peeling and fading on
> my car (red). Thanks for your input.

I'm sorry I can't help with the door pin diagram -- I've looked in the FSM
"Engine Chassis and Body" for the 1990 FWD vehicles, and I didn't see it.
It might be in one of the other books, I'll check when I have some more
time if I remember.

As for the paint, ChatterX is right. It's your clearcoat fading. You
have a couple of options, and none of them are very good.

1) Sand it down to remove just the clearcoat, then start simonizing the
car like they did before clearcoat came along... Difficult to do,
extremely time-consuming, and if you rub through to the primer, you
automatically have a repaint requirement. Besides, if you chose this
route, you'd might as well repaint anyway, as half your work would already
be done.

2) Repaint the whole thing. Avoid Maaco like the plague: Often times,
they only mask the glass surfaces, painting over body trim, door handles,
etc. Not a good job, if you ask me. OTOH, if you pay them more than
they're worth, they'll probably be more likely to do a quality job. It's
best to either DIY or take it to a local specialty shop that does only
paint/body work. Dealer might do it, but they'll charge you the life of
your firstborn son.

3) Get a dab of clear nail polish applied to an inconspicuous area where
the fading is. A good spot might be right above the ground effects.
Apply a light coat, let dry, check later. If the white is gone, perhaps
try a can of clear spraypaint from the auto parts store. Apply thin
coats to a clean, dry car, and let dry. Won't be a factory shine finish,
but it'll sure as Hell look a lot better than that ugly white flaking. I
had a spot on my car that this worked for. It's not the greatest, but
nobody passing you on the highway will be able to tell.

HIH

CJ

Old June 8th 04, 07:05 PM
Circuit Breaker