88 toyota pickup 22re - pointers

Old June 30th 11, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

Default 88 toyota pickup 22re - pointers

just got one of the above pickups. it has a very slow lumpy idle when
warm. i haven't had a chance to get a manual or do any diagnostics, so
if anyone can share any quickie pointers to keep me going while that
stuff arrives in the mail, they'll be much appreciated.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old June 30th 11, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill[_33_]

"jim beam" > wrote in message
> just got one of the above pickups. it has a very slow lumpy idle
> when warm. i haven't had a chance to get a manual or do any
> diagnostics, so if anyone can share any quickie pointers to keep me
> going while that stuff arrives in the mail, they'll be much
> appreciated.

Many times when I get a used vehicle which was not properly
maintained, just doing the recommended factory service stuff will work
wonders. Plugs, spark plug wires, dist cap / rotor, replace all
filters, etc. (or whatever applies to that specific vehicle.)

Sometimes people will install non factory spec plugs, wires, etc. and
that will cause problems.

Old June 30th 11, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 06/30/2011 12:25 PM, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 19:04:15 -0700, jim beam wrote:
>
>> just got one of the above pickups. it has a very slow lumpy idle when
>> warm. i haven't had a chance to get a manual or do any diagnostics, so
>> if anyone can share any quickie pointers to keep me going while that
>> stuff arrives in the mail, they'll be much appreciated.

> Is it carb'd or EFI? '88 should be EFI, and the first thing I'd try is
> pulling the EFI fuse and resetting the ECU to default values...

where is it located? no owners manual...

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old June 30th 11, 08:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

Old June 30th 11, 11:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:53:01 -0700, jim beam wrote:

> On 06/30/2011 12:25 PM, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 19:04:15 -0700, jim beam wrote:
>>
>>> just got one of the above pickups. it has a very slow lumpy idle when
>>> warm. i haven't had a chance to get a manual or do any diagnostics, so
>>> if anyone can share any quickie pointers to keep me going while that
>>> stuff arrives in the mail, they'll be much appreciated.

>> Is it carb'd or EFI? '88 should be EFI, and the first thing I'd try is
>> pulling the EFI fuse and resetting the ECU to default values...

> where is it located? no owners manual...

Under the hood, in the fuse box located (should be) right behind the
battery, and should be labeled "EFI"

Old June 30th 11, 11:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:53:01 -0700, jim beam wrote:

> On 06/30/2011 12:25 PM, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 19:04:15 -0700, jim beam wrote:
>>
>>> just got one of the above pickups. it has a very slow lumpy idle when
>>> warm. i haven't had a chance to get a manual or do any diagnostics, so
>>> if anyone can share any quickie pointers to keep me going while that
>>> stuff arrives in the mail, they'll be much appreciated.

>> Is it carb'd or EFI? '88 should be EFI, and the first thing I'd try is
>> pulling the EFI fuse and resetting the ECU to default values...

> where is it located? no owners manual...

Or, just disconnect the ground terminal for ~1 minute...

Old June 30th 11, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 19:04:15 -0700, jim beam wrote:

> just got one of the above pickups. it has a very slow lumpy idle when
> warm. i haven't had a chance to get a manual or do any diagnostics, so
> if anyone can share any quickie pointers to keep me going while that
> stuff arrives in the mail, they'll be much appreciated.

Couple of other things. On this engine, there are 'plastic' chain guides,
and they wear down, and are hydraulically controlled. On starting, you may
hear a rasping noise from the front of the motor that should go away
within a few seconds. Any more than that and you have to tear the front of
the motor off, replace the guides and the hydraulic adjusters. Might as
well do the chain at the same time, since it stretches. How many miles?

If the rasping noise lasts longer than a few seconds, the chain is wearing
through the block...

Old June 30th 11, 11:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 19:04:15 -0700, jim beam wrote:

> just got one of the above pickups. it has a very slow lumpy idle when
> warm. i haven't had a chance to get a manual or do any diagnostics, so
> if anyone can share any quickie pointers to keep me going while that
> stuff arrives in the mail, they'll be much appreciated.

One good thing about these...they used this engine for a long time, up to
1996 or 97. I had an '85 Celica with a 22re that would not pass inspection
because oil was blowing past the rings and into the intake. I bought one
out of a wrecked truck (1991) for $300 with 107,000 on it and popped it in.

89 toyota 22re [email protected] Technology 2 December 31st 08 03:01 PM
22r 22re [email protected] General 0 May 1st 08 12:09 PM
toyota 22re problems [email protected] 4x4 1 July 4th 07 05:01 PM
88 Toyota 22RE - metallic 'ringing' sound at rpm/load loadhawg Technology 0 March 4th 07 07:43 PM
toyota 22re block removal iicetee General 0 July 26th 05 12:53 AM