Crashing issues with online racing?

Old September 3rd 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
John Doe

Default Crashing issues with online racing?

Will GTR Evolution support popular online racing? Helpfully pickup
games are easy to find. How about Richard Burns Rally? If not, it's
no big deal I guess, but I'm very much aware of how much more fun
online gaming is.

Is crashing problematic? How do online racing servers cope with
that? Is it that some players intentionally crash into you? Or is it
that some players are just clumsy? Personally, I wouldn't try to
make elaborate rules or calculations, I would try to simplify the
thing. However bad, the easiest solution would probably be to let
cars run through each other. Another might be to make them like
bumper cars so that you can force someone off the road but it
doesn't disable/cripple them. Or maybe prevent cars from passing
through each other but otherwise there would be no damage or recoil.

--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/
Old September 4th 08, 08:50 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David Fisher's Left Testicle

"John Doe" > wrote in message

> Will GTR Evolution support popular online racing? Helpfully pickup
> games are easy to find. How about Richard Burns Rally? If not, it's
> no big deal I guess, but I'm very much aware of how much more fun
> online gaming is.
>
> Is crashing problematic?

Yes! The problem is a basic lack of racecraft on behalf of 90% of on-line
racers. They do thing like:

1. Try to win the race on the first corner.

2. Punt slower cars because they follow them into corners on the same line

3. Join the track at 90 degrees in reverse gear after an off.

4. Weave to stop people passing.

5. Block while still getting up to speed after an off.

6. Think the blue flag is a signal for a slower car to pull over onto the
grass for them.

7. Get enraged if someone passes them fairly and have to put them off at the
next corner.

8. Show a basic lack of respect for their fellow racers.

My mate raced the Megane on race2play the other night, and some ****wit, who
was so slow it was stupid, kept crashing, limping to the pits, then coming
out and touring around and was unable or unwilling to leave room for lapping
cars. He clearly didn't know the tack, but didn't give a **** that he was
spoiling things for others. He crashed a number of people out and didn't
even say sorry.

There really is no hiding place from these ****s. They even have them in
iRacing.

Old September 4th 08, 10:09 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson

dfg.myass@aol (David Fisher's Left Testicle) wrote:

> They even have them in iRacing.

I think it's more subtle in iRacing. The aggressive drivers know that the
average iRacer is a Decent Human Being, and take advantage. Other
people's good behaviour allows them to take more risks without getting
hurt.

Still, wherever there are humans there is human nature. You'll never
change that. At least in iRacing there's a chance persistent offenders
will get slapped or booted or promoted out of your way.

Andrew McP

Old September 4th 08, 10:19 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David Fisher's Left Testicle

"Andrew MacPherson" > wrote in message
ddress_disguised...
> dfg.myass@aol (David Fisher's Left Testicle) wrote:
>
>> They even have them in iRacing.

> I think it's more subtle in iRacing. The aggressive drivers know that the
> average iRacer is a Decent Human Being, and take advantage. Other
> people's good behaviour allows them to take more risks without getting
> hurt.
>
> Still, wherever there are humans there is human nature. You'll never
> change that. At least in iRacing there's a chance persistent offenders
> will get slapped or booted or promoted out of your way.

I agree with your comments about iRacing.

You're right about human nature too. No one in their right mind would
reverse into the path of on coming race cars, but in sim racing you can get
away with it, so people do it. They'll do all manner of unrealistic things
and then moan that a particular track is unrealistic because one of the
advertising hoardings is in the wrong place!

****s, the lot of them!!