Day 2 of iRacing

Old August 27th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Remco Moedt

Default Day 2 of iRacing

And do I like it? No.

First, the car you've to start with. Hearing the stories of other
people I thought, it can't be THAT bad, can it? Well, it's worse.
I've no fun what so ever driving that thing. My boat is more nimble
than that!

Second, the Incident system. I understand the concept, and it's seems
nice in theory, but in practice it's no fun. I'm not racing, I'm
trying to improve my rating. It's just like work, but I get paid for
doing that!

Third, the black flag. You get a Slow Down! warning after "cutting the
track". Ok, not quite realistic, but it's a method to punish drivers I
guess. But at some places, when you've someone close behind you, it's
not that easy to slow down. The downhill part after the Cork Screw at
Laguna Seca, for example. If you slow down there, the guy behind WILL
hit you! So you gt black flagged. Very frustrating.

Sometimes the Incident points system isn't logical. For example, when
you're on an outlap during qualifying, It makes sense to drive on the
grass to let someone on an hotlap go by. But with this system you
don't, thus you're risking an accident, and you're ruining the other
guys lap.

I do miss the blue flags. Quite a few times I only saw a car AFTER it
passed me. And I DO look quite often in my mirror!

Maybe I should try to get out of the Solstice first before I decide to
quit, but frankly, at the moment I've not the motivation to do so.

Cheers!

Remco

Old August 27th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson

no@email (Remco Moedt) wrote:

> Maybe I should try to get out of the Solstice first before I
> decide to quit, but frankly, at the moment I've not the motivation
> to do so.

I swear iRacing is the most frustrating experience *ever* created by
software designers. And iRacing has definitely been designed rather than
created... the signs of genetic modification are everywhere in the
restrictive structure of the racing.

The iRacing world if definitely split into those, like Pat, who see the
Solstice as a rewarding challenge, and those like myself who see it as a
poor advert for iRacing. And I do think that it's no help whatsoever for
people like me to say 'the Skip Barber is wonderful' when iRacing is
intent on putting people off right from the start. "Eat your sim-roughage,
it's good for you!" they cry.

All I can suggest is that you forget the Solstice for now and just test
the Legends car at the same tracks. I find it a completely different
animal; much more fun and a much better indicator of what's to come.

As for the rest of your points... well, they mirror my own experience.
All I can say is that this side of things, the 'training' gets less
painful as you become more and more assimilated into the iRacing way of
thinking. I do think it has its merits even though -- as you say -- it
makes racing feel like work rather than pleasure.

Most of all, remember you paid for this darned thing... you might as well
get your money's worth out of it! :-)

Andrew McP
Old August 28th 08, 07:39 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David Fisher's Left Testicle

"Remco Moedt" <no@email> wrote in message

> And do I like it? No.
>
> First, the car you've to start with. Hearing the stories of other
> people I thought, it can't be THAT bad, can it? Well, it's worse.
> I've no fun what so ever driving that thing. My boat is more nimble
> than that!
>
> Second, the Incident system. I understand the concept, and it's seems
> nice in theory, but in practice it's no fun. I'm not racing, I'm
> trying to improve my rating. It's just like work, but I get paid for
> doing that!
>
> Third, the black flag. You get a Slow Down! warning after "cutting the
> track". Ok, not quite realistic, but it's a method to punish drivers I
> guess. But at some places, when you've someone close behind you, it's
> not that easy to slow down. The downhill part after the Cork Screw at
> Laguna Seca, for example. If you slow down there, the guy behind WILL
> hit you! So you gt black flagged. Very frustrating.
>
> Sometimes the Incident points system isn't logical. For example, when
> you're on an outlap during qualifying, It makes sense to drive on the
> grass to let someone on an hotlap go by.

You would never do that in real life.

Old August 28th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David Fisher's Left Testicle

In my opinion, iRacing is going to have to allow people with a low ratting
to race any car and any track against others with a similar ratting. I'm
only interested in racing the Radical. But I'm not interested in working
through all the other stuff to get there.

So I'm out.

Old August 28th 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Maat

"David Fisher's Left Testicle" <dfg.myass@aol> wrote in
:

> So I'm out.

At least iRaciung is good at weeding out the rif-raf.
Old August 29th 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

I actually think you are on to something here.

It makes more sense to me for the SR and iRating to work together to
determine WHO you race with, not WHAT you race in. In other words, they
should be used to determine your DIVISION, not your class.

I understand what they are trying to do. I really do. I just don't know,
in the long run, if it is sustainable.

What happens when 90% or more of the racers are in Class A/B and a new
driver signs into the service? Who is he going to race when there is no one
left in the Rookie class TO race?

iRacing is a bit slower in recognizing, acknowledging and correcting (i.e.
the phantom 4x issue) than I would like, but they are generally pretty quick
about fixing issues with the service/scoring/racing system. Hopefully they
see this coming and have a plan worked out.

-Larry

"David Fisher's Left Testicle" <dfg.myass@aol> wrote in message
> In my opinion, iRacing is going to have to allow people with a low ratting
> to race any car and any track against others with a similar ratting. I'm
> only interested in racing the Radical. But I'm not interested in working
> through all the other stuff to get there.

Day 28 in the Big iRacing house <-- warning, long and about iRacing Andrew MacPherson Simulators 29 October 1st 08 08:54 AM
IRacing Pricing Lancelot Simulators 118 March 29th 08 03:46 AM
iRacing Who? [email protected] Simulators 62 August 10th 07 10:01 PM
iRacing what? _Mitch Simulators 4 August 1st 07 04:27 AM