General Question about Title & Registration

Old September 10th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Funkie

Default General Question about Title & Registration

I am in the US, Georgia, and I purchased an old car recently. Should I change the title to my name immediately? Will I be required to register it too? The car won't be road ready for another year or so.

--
DANIEL MEDINA
Old September 10th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Funkie wrote:

> I am in the US, Georgia, and I purchased an old car recently. Should I
> change the title to my name immediately? Will I be required to register
> it too? The car won't be road ready for another year or so.
>
> --
> DANIEL MEDINA

Personally, I would get title right away, just to expose
any possible problems.

For example, you put a year and $5,000 into it and then
go down to title it. The clerk says, "Oh, sorry, there is
a lien on this vehicle." Or, it's stolen...
<insert fav nightmare here>

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old September 10th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
j[_2_]

Speedy Jim wrote:

> Personally, I would get title right away, just to expose
> any possible problems.

Yup. Went through that with the Kelmark. The PO had to get a special kind of
title insurance before the state would pass it. I still don't understand
what that's all about, but I finally have it.

Old September 10th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Funkie

Good idea, thanks.

--
DANIEL MEDINA

Old September 11th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

Funkie wrote:
> I am in the US, Georgia, and I purchased an old car recently. Should I change the title to my name immediately? Will I be required to register it too? The car won't be road ready for another year or so.
>
> --
> DANIEL MEDINA

Vehicles in Georgia older than 1986 are not required to have titles. If
you bought the car from out of state, and it came with the out of state
title, you can apply for a new Georgia title, but it is not necessary,
and you'll have to pay the title fee. If you forego the title now, the
decision is permanent, the vehicle can nver get a title thereafter. No
big deal, IMO. If it's older than '63, you can't get a title anyway.
Legally, you have 30 days to transfer the vehicle into your name.
Ad Valorem tax is so insanely cheap that it would be a good idea to go
ahead and register it in your name. You said old vehicle, not
specifically VW though. My 68's Ad Valorem was about $3.
The tag fee (actual registration) is $20/yr., and you get a neat
hobby/antique tag with a picture of a Model-T on it (woo hoo... not!).
Georgia recently passed a bill that lets you run a YOM tag up to the
'70 model year. Be different, get one if possible. While it's not
necessary, I got one that was orginally issued in the county I live in.
Look here to find your county code. The first two or three digits on
the YOM tag denote the issuing county.
http://www.15q.net/gaco.html

Lots more info at GA MVD. Don't take my word for anything, ask the
source.
http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/

Old September 11th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dragenwagen

Yes, I would get the title changed over before putting any work or $$ into it. You may want to get some type of comprehensive insurance on it. I had my 69 for 5 years before I titled it in my name. I never regestered it, but i did have comprehensive on it... good thing i did... Hurricane Katrina did a number on it. I only got back about half of what I had sunk into it over the years. Thats what is going to cover the cost of getting my '66 back into shape... for some reason the insurance company never added the comprehensive onto my '66. so I got nothing to cover the damages on it. ALWAYS check your insurance paperwork... I found out the hard way.

dw