Problem with Blower Control on 2002 Sebring.

Old July 30th 05, 07:02 PM
Scott_SS

Default Problem with Blower Control on 2002 Sebring.

I am having a bit of trouble with my 2002 Sebring, which is just fresh out
of warranty, of course. :-)

The blower control seems to be the symptom, but apparently not the cause of
my issue. When the blower is set to full-on (position 4), all climate
controls work normally albeit at maximum output. When the blower is set to
positions 0, 1, 2 or 3, there is no air being blown out of the vents at all.

I suspected that perhaps the rotary switch was not making good contact in
all cases, so I disassembled it and bent the contacts up just a hair so that
they had more tension against the switched contact points. As I really
thought would be the case, this did not change anything. While I had the
rotary switch apart, I made sure to note which the common terminal was so
that I could map out the outputs for each position.

The connector has 8 positions, 5 of which are populated with contact points
arranged like below (shown looking into the connector on the switch itself,
so the connector coming from the wiring harness is the reverse of this).
There are two contacts for the common position (position 1), so I've noted a
1 twice to reflect that.

4 5
3
1 2
1

I found the following using an ohm meter to see what contacts where shorted
to the common contact for a given switch position.

Position 0 (no contacts shorted to common)
Position 1 (contact 4 is shorted to common)
Position 2 (contacts 2 and 4 shorted to common)
Position 3 (contacts 3 and 4 shorted to common)
Position 4 (contacts 4 and 5 shorted to common).

In order to fully eliminate the switch itself, I made a wire jig so that I
could short the contacts of the mating connector on the wiring harness in
this same manner. Consistent with using the switch itself, the only
arrangement that enabled the blower was shorting position 1 to positions 4
and 5 for "full-on."

It would seem to me that there are two main possibilities. The first would
be that something is wrong in the wiring harness, but positions 1,2,3
stopped working under normal use, with no bumps, jars, etc. that might cause
a connector contact to break loose. The second would be that whatever
electronic control watches the position of the blower rotary switch is not
operating properly. Is this function handled by the main engine computer?

If anyone has any hints as to what might be wrong with my blower control
function, I would really appreciate the help.

Thank you!

Scott

Old July 30th 05, 07:31 PM
Remove This

The 3rd possibility (most likely) is an open resistor, which is used in all
positions, except max.

--
I work for the ILEC ...." stuff happens! "

Old July 30th 05, 07:58 PM
Scott_SS

Any idea where the resistor block is located in a 2002 Sebring?

Thanks!

Scott

Old July 31st 05, 05:36 AM
« Paul »

Scott_SS wrote:

> I am having a bit of trouble with my 2002 Sebring, which is just fresh out
> of warranty, of course. :-)
>
> The blower control seems to be the symptom, but apparently not the cause of
> my issue. When the blower is set to full-on (position 4), all climate
> controls work normally albeit at maximum output. When the blower is set to
> positions 0, 1, 2 or 3, there is no air being blown out of the vents at all.

Burned out resistor. I don't know where it is on your car.
It will be in the airstream though. The max setting bypasses the
resistor via relay.
Old August 1st 05, 12:06 AM
Professor

Every one I've ever seen is inside on the passenger side up under the
dash on the heater/AC plenum.

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

Old August 2nd 05, 11:36 PM
SDG

Scott, my money is on the ballast (resistor.) Believe it's mounted inside
the air duct cowling (requires air flow over). Probably the only thing that
can cause what you describe.
http://www.makeitmopar.com/ sells it for $20 for the coupe & $32 for the
sedan/convertible.

Old August 23rd 05, 03:27 PM
DeathSkunk5

yep, its there. ive had to replace one myself, its about a $20 part.

ps.com...

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
OBD II Error message Billy Ray Jeep 13 July 2nd 05 04:01 AM
Forza Car List Rob Berryhill Simulators 19 May 7th 05 11:37 PM
a/c blower problem Joachim Peiper Ford Mustang 3 February 24th 05 08:32 PM
78 Audi 5000 Cruise Control Warning Light Problem TurboBanana Audi 2 May 25th 04 03:40 PM