Seattle lowers traction in intersection, calls it "improvement"

Old September 11th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
bernard farquart

Default Seattle lowers traction in intersection, calls it "improvement"

Talk about poorly thought out! Some neighbors were upset that
traffic was going too fast, thought about speed bumps, then got
the city to approve a big painting in the intersection. Hope no one
needs to use their brakes, or turn in this intersection. Good thing
Seattle is not know for rain, which would really lessen the friction
of your tires against the pavement while in this "improvement"

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ngford11m.html

Or, if you prefer,

http://tinyurl.com/hqojh

Jeeze!

Bernard

Old September 11th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

"bernard farquart" > wrote in message
. ..
> Talk about poorly thought out! Some neighbors were upset that
> traffic was going too fast, thought about speed bumps, then got
> the city to approve a big painting in the intersection. Hope no one
> needs to use their brakes, or turn in this intersection. Good thing
> Seattle is not know for rain, which would really lessen the friction
> of your tires against the pavement while in this "improvement"
>
> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ngford11m.html
>
> Or, if you prefer,
>
> http://tinyurl.com/hqojh
>

> Jeeze!

"Our goal is to cut down traffic and bring the community together and create
a sense of neighborhood," said Eric Higbee, who lives on the corner and
helped lead the project."

[ So Higbee is going to be at the top of the defendants' list the first time
a motorcycle tries to make a turn in that intersection while the paint has
water on it. MAJOR lawsuit is brewing here. ]

The intersection artwork, a pilot project for the city, has been in the
works for about five months, he said, adding that the neighborhood received
a $1,400 city grant to pay for the paint and permits.

[ So add the city to the defendants' list, also ]

Initially, he said, the city thought the design would be too big, but
officials eventually allowed the neighborhood to paint it.

[ Good, then the city can't weasel out of the resulting lawsuit, as they
officially and monetarily supported it ]

The ladybug idea was the brainchild of Lloyd Jansen, who had been talking
with another neighbor about the possibility of having speed bumps put in the
intersection. The bumps idea evolved into ladybug spots, and he then turned
the idea over to neighborhood children, who created the design.

[ Hmmmm, so far we have Higbee, the city and Jansen. How many more people
want their asses sued off? ]

"Dad thought of a ladybug and I thought it sounded really cool," said his
11-year-old daughter, Laura, who helped in the design work.

[ Ok, 'Laura's' dad just stepped forward. Good for him! I hope he has
deep pockets ]

Higbee said the residents also wanted to paint flower petals on the
sidewalks, but that was vetoed by city officials, who said it would be too
confusing for drivers.

[ Oh yeah, like a fricking ladybug where an intersection should be makes so
much more sense to a driver ]

It's only going to take one fatal accident (probably a motorcyclist will
bite the dust first, as paint is very slippery in wet conditions) to have
the city scrap the idea. They'd better be stocking up on 55 gallon drums of
paint thinner. -Dave

Old September 11th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Mike T. said in
rec.autos.driving:

<snip>

> "Dad thought of a ladybug and I thought it sounded really cool," said his
> 11-year-old daughter, Laura, who helped in the design work.
>
> [ Ok, 'Laura's' dad just stepped forward. Good for him! I hope he has
> deep pockets ]

Don't forget all the people who took the time to actually paint this
artwork in the intersection.
Old September 11th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
brink

"necromancer" > wrote in message
th.net...
> Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Mike T. said in
> rec.autos.driving:
>
> <snip>
>
>> "Dad thought of a ladybug and I thought it sounded really cool," said his
>> 11-year-old daughter, Laura, who helped in the design work.
>>
>> [ Ok, 'Laura's' dad just stepped forward. Good for him! I hope he has
>> deep pockets ]

> Don't forget all the people who took the time to actually paint this
> artwork in the intersection.

I have to admit I'm with you guys on this one. Assuming this paint is as
slick as all paint gets in rain -- and I've yet to encounter non-slick
paint -- this would be a nightmare to traverse on a bicycle.

Rumor has it Seattle gets a fair bit of rain on occasion. You reckon this
could cause any problems?

I would sincerely like to hear from the other side on this issue -- Seattle
is a very progressive city with lots of bikers. Surely this was taken into
consideration, wasn't it?

brink

Old September 11th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

bernard farquart wrote:
> Talk about poorly thought out! Some neighbors were upset that
> traffic was going too fast, thought about speed bumps, then got
> the city to approve a big painting in the intersection. Hope no one
> needs to use their brakes, or turn in this intersection. Good thing
> Seattle is not know for rain, which would really lessen the friction
> of your tires against the pavement while in this "improvement"
>
> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ngford11m.html
>
> Or, if you prefer,
>
> http://tinyurl.com/hqojh
>

> Jeeze!

http://www.protectakote.co.uk/anti_slip_paint.htm
-----

- gpsman

Old September 11th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
bernard farquart

"gpsman" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> bernard farquart wrote:
>> Talk about poorly thought out! Some neighbors were upset that
>> traffic was going too fast, thought about speed bumps, then got
>> the city to approve a big painting in the intersection. Hope no one
>> needs to use their brakes, or turn in this intersection. Good thing
>> Seattle is not know for rain, which would really lessen the friction
>> of your tires against the pavement while in this "improvement"
>>
>> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ngford11m.html
>>
>> Or, if you prefer,
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/hqojh
>>

>> Jeeze!

> http://www.protectakote.co.uk/anti_slip_paint.htm
> -----
>
> - gpsman

Did you see something I missed? This is in no way
connected to the article I posted links to. This is a non
skid coating, they used a paint.

Just go ahead and change your name to
"mary mary" and get it over with, already.

Bernard

Old September 12th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave[_4_]

> I have to admit I'm with you guys on this one. Assuming this paint is as
> slick as all paint gets in rain -- and I've yet to encounter non-slick
> paint -- this would be a nightmare to traverse on a bicycle.
>
> Rumor has it Seattle gets a fair bit of rain on occasion. You reckon this
> could cause any problems?
>
> I would sincerely like to hear from the other side on this issue --
> Seattle is a very progressive city with lots of bikers. Surely this was
> taken into consideration, wasn't it?
>
> brink

**** bicycles. Wait until a 500 pound motorcycle bounces off your head
because the motorcycle had no traction on rain-slicked paint. -Dave

Old September 12th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Hi. This is the meow-send program at usenet. I'm afraid I wasn't able
to deliver any clue to the following address: "bernard farquart"

>"gpsman" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>> bernard farquart wrote:
>>> Talk about poorly thought out! Some neighbors were upset that
>>> traffic was going too fast, thought about speed bumps, then got
>>> the city to approve a big painting in the intersection. Hope no one
>>> needs to use their brakes, or turn in this intersection. Good thing
>>> Seattle is not know for rain, which would really lessen the friction
>>> of your tires against the pavement while in this "improvement"
>>>
>>> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ngford11m.html
>>>
>>> Or, if you prefer,
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/hqojh
>>>

>>> Jeeze!

>> http://www.protectakote.co.uk/anti_slip_paint.htm
>> -----
>>
>> - gpsman
>>

>Did you see something I missed? This is in no way
>connected to the article I posted links to. This is a non
>skid coating, they used a paint.
>
>Just go ahead and change your name to
>"mary mary" and get it over with, already.

I'm lost. The provided link, which includes "anti_slip_paint.htm" as
a part, is about anti-slip paint. Is everyone certain that those who
painted the ladybug (as retarded as an idea as that is) didn't use
this product?

---

"Do we operate under a system of equal justice under law? Or is there one system for the average citizen and another for the high and mighty?" ~ Senator Ted Kennedy, 1973

--

El Pollo Loco (Laura Bush Murdered Her Boyfriend) demonstrates it's complete gullibility, stupidity, and state of delusion when it falls for an April Fool's joke, hook, line, and sinker:

Ragnar wrote:
> Gods, you're dumb. Its a rather obvious April Fool's joke. And you're
> the Fool.

This is no joke.
Old September 12th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

brink wrote:

> "necromancer" > wrote in message
> th.net...
> > Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Mike T. said in
> > rec.autos.driving:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >> "Dad thought of a ladybug and I thought it sounded really cool," said his
> >> 11-year-old daughter, Laura, who helped in the design work.
> >>
> >> [ Ok, 'Laura's' dad just stepped forward. Good for him! I hope he has
> >> deep pockets ]

> > Don't forget all the people who took the time to actually paint this
> > artwork in the intersection.

> I have to admit I'm with you guys on this one. Assuming this paint is as
> slick as all paint gets in rain -- and I've yet to encounter non-slick
> paint -- this would be a nightmare to traverse on a bicycle.
>
> Rumor has it Seattle gets a fair bit of rain on occasion. You reckon this
> could cause any problems?

Well, somebody is going to have to test this. Take a vehicle, preferably
a heavy truck with duals, get a run at the intersection and lock up the
brakes on the paint. Take a look at the length and quality of skid marks
left behind.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Q: Why do mountain climbers rope themselves together?
Old September 12th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

"bernard farquart" > wrote in
:

> Talk about poorly thought out! Some neighbors were upset that
> traffic was going too fast, thought about speed bumps, then got
> the city to approve a big painting in the intersection. Hope no one
> needs to use their brakes, or turn in this intersection. Good thing
> Seattle is not know for rain, which would really lessen the friction
> of your tires against the pavement while in this "improvement"
>
> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...8_wallingford1
> 1m.html
>
> Or, if you prefer,
>
> http://tinyurl.com/hqojh
>

> Jeeze!
>

> Bernard

What a CHEAPO newspaper,couldn't even show a picture of the painting.

What also was not clear is whether the "painting" is just flat paint(slick
in rain),or raised bumps like some of the reflective road decals used for
turn arrows,stop lines,and other intersection markings.
They did say the "painting" evolved from speed bumps to "ladybug
spots",then to the "painting" design.

I don't see how an ordinary painting would slow people down without some
bumpiness to it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik