[rec.autos.tech] 1999 Toyota Camry - hard to start

Old January 7th 15, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Electric Comet

Default [rec.autos.tech] 1999 Toyota Camry - hard to start

In the a.m. on first start it used to start by just turning the key
now it won't start and requires pumping the gas once, maybe twice but
usually once is enough.

Someone suggested turning the key to on and leaving it for 30 secs or
so. Then turn off and then turn to start. Sometimes that works and
other times it doesn't.

If you know Camrys do you have an idea what to check?

Car has a little over 100,000 miles and is a 4-cyl.

Old January 7th 15, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Electric Comet > wrote:
>In the a.m. on first start it used to start by just turning the key
>now it won't start and requires pumping the gas once, maybe twice but
>usually once is enough.
>
>Someone suggested turning the key to on and leaving it for 30 secs or
>so. Then turn off and then turn to start. Sometimes that works and
>other times it doesn't.
>
>If you know Camrys do you have an idea what to check?

I'd put a gauge on the fuel rail and look at the pressure when it's idling.
I'd also look to see how quickly it comes up to pressure and whether it
retains pressure after you shut the engine off.

>Car has a little over 100,000 miles and is a 4-cyl.

When was the fuel filter last changed?
--scott

Old January 8th 15, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Electric Comet > wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>> Electric Comet > wrote:
>> >In the a.m. on first start it used to start by just turning the key
>> >now it won't start and requires pumping the gas once, maybe twice but
>> >usually once is enough.
>> >
>> >Someone suggested turning the key to on and leaving it for 30 secs or
>> >so. Then turn off and then turn to start. Sometimes that works and
>> >other times it doesn't.
>> >
>> >If you know Camrys do you have an idea what to check?

>> I'd put a gauge on the fuel rail and look at the pressure when it's
>> idling. I'd also look to see how quickly it comes up to pressure and
>> whether it retains pressure after you shut the engine off.

>You're saying it's the fuel pressure? So maybe things are leaky.
>Checking pressure after shutoff shows that it's leaky?
>I will go this route and see what I find.

No, I am saying the first thing I would look for would be a fuel pressure
issue. That is most likely. The gauge will tell you for sure.

If it's not fuel, it's spark, air or timing, after all.

>> >Car has a little over 100,000 miles and is a 4-cyl.

>> When was the fuel filter last changed?

>I think it's recent.

Good. How about the pump?
--scott
Old January 16th 15, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Electric Comet

Gathering data slowly.

Turning the ignition to on and leaving for a few minutes and the car
starts right away.

Haven't had the time to do anything else.

Old January 17th 15, 08:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

sounds like a fuel pressure problem

I sorta have a similar problem, but mine is timing related. Ever since I had the timing belt replaced the engine cranks for 3-5 seconds before firing.. First start of the day it starts right up.

Old January 18th 15, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Electric Comet

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 12:15:56 -0800 (PST)
m6onz5a > wrote:

> sounds like a fuel pressure problem
>
> I sorta have a similar problem, but mine is timing related. Ever
> since I had the timing belt replaced the engine cranks for 3-5
> seconds before firing.. First start of the day it starts right up.

I'm going to visually inspect then take it in.