Corolla 2006 bumpy ride (continued)

Old May 19th 11, 05:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

Default Corolla 2006 bumpy ride (continued)

"Hachiroku ãƒãƒãƒ*ク" > wrote in message

> Hey! I have a Scion!

I hope it can be treated ;>)

Old May 20th 11, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Thu, 19 May 2011 11:29:52 -0500, hls wrote:

> "Hachiroku ãƒãƒãƒ*ク" > wrote in message
>
>> Hey! I have a Scion!

> I hope it can be treated ;>)

I've treated it to Celica seats and a yearly Simonize...

Old May 20th 11, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On May 18, 2:32*am, Dan > wrote:
> Well, I experienced a bit with the tire pressure - I set it to 28 PSI
> (instead of the recommended 32).
> The ride comfort improved noticeably.
> So, this leads me to the conclusion that even a slight increase in
> tire pressure, like after driving for a while,
> gives a bumpier ride on this car.
>
> It seems that something is wrong with the the shocks valving or maybe
> they are over pressurized,
> so that they don't let the suspension absorb small to medium road
> imperfections.
>
> Any thoughts or similar experience?

Seems like most of the suggestions have been made, but the OP failed
to give all info, like how long has he had it, history, tire label
specs, and are those oem sized, and speed rating.

Greg
Old May 20th 11, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Hachiroku ãƒãƒãƒ*ク" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 19 May 2011 11:29:52 -0500, hls wrote:
>

>> "Hachiroku ãƒãƒãƒ*ク" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Hey! I have a Scion!

>> I hope it can be treated ;>)

> I've treated it to Celica seats and a yearly Simonize...

Then you will probably survive this infection..
Best regards

Old May 20th 11, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On May 19, 9:33*pm, g > wrote:
> On May 18, 2:32*am, Dan > wrote:
>
> > Well, I experienced a bit with the tire pressure - I set it to 28 PSI
> > (instead of the recommended 32).
> > The ride comfort improved noticeably.
> > So, this leads me to the conclusion that even a slight increase in
> > tire pressure, like after driving for a while,
> > gives a bumpier ride on this car.

> > It seems that something is wrong with the the shocks valving or maybe
> > they are over pressurized,
> > so that they don't let the suspension absorb small to medium road
> > imperfections.

> > Any thoughts or similar experience?

> Seems like most of the suggestions have been made, but the OP failed
> to give all info, like how long has he had it, history, tire label
> specs, and are those oem sized, and speed rating.
>
> Greg

When I gave the shock test to my 280z, it would just bounce up and
down. Keep doing that and they would stiffen up, and that the way it
was after installing Koni adjustable shocks. I adjusted them about
half setting, yet I never read anything about being self adjusting.

Had installed heavy duty anti sway bars. The big change was going from
195HR70 tp 195VR70. Very go cart like after doing that. VR speed
rating. They were michelin XWX which michilin made for the Ferrari.
Tires were very good but not linear breakaway.

Greg
Old May 20th 11, 03:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Thu, 19 May 2011 20:42:45 -0500, hls wrote:

> "Hachiroku ãƒãƒãƒ*ク" > wrote in message

>>> I hope it can be treated ;>)

>> I've treated it to Celica seats and a yearly Simonize...
>>

> Then you will probably survive this infection..
> Best regards

Addiction is more like it! Even better than amphetamines!
Old May 20th 11, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dan[_6_]

On May 20, 4:33*am, g > wrote:
> On May 18, 2:32*am, Dan > wrote:
>
> > Well, I experienced a bit with the tire pressure - I set it to 28 PSI
> > (instead of the recommended 32).
> > The ride comfort improved noticeably.
> > So, this leads me to the conclusion that even a slight increase in
> > tire pressure, like after driving for a while,
> > gives a bumpier ride on this car.

> > It seems that something is wrong with the the shocks valving or maybe
> > they are over pressurized,
> > so that they don't let the suspension absorb small to medium road
> > imperfections.

> > Any thoughts or similar experience?

> Seems like most of the suggestions have been made, but the OP failed
> to give all info, like how long has he had it, history, tire label
> specs, and are those oem sized, and speed rating.
>
> Greg

I had the car for 1 year, and I think it was quite bumpy since I got
it, although it's a bit hard to tell if it got any worse over time.
Tires are OEM sized, Michelin Energy Saver, less than 1 year old,
speed rate S.

Somoene here mentioned shocks may lose presurization over time, which
will lead to bumpiness. I think the pressure is in there to reduce oil
foaming. Why should they get stiffer with less pressure?
Old May 20th 11, 06:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 05/20/2011 08:25 AM, Dan wrote:
> On May 20, 4:33�am, > wrote:
>> On May 18, 2:32�am, > wrote:
>>
>>> Well, I experienced a bit with the tire pressure - I set it to 28 PSI
>>> (instead of the recommended 32).
>>> The ride comfort improved noticeably.
>>> So, this leads me to the conclusion that even a slight increase in
>>> tire pressure, like after driving for a while,
>>> gives a bumpier ride on this car.

>>> It seems that something is wrong with the the shocks valving or maybe
>>> they are over pressurized,
>>> so that they don't let the suspension absorb small to medium road
>>> imperfections.

>>> Any thoughts or similar experience?

>> Seems like most of the suggestions have been made, but the OP failed
>> to give all info, like how long has he had it, history, tire label
>> specs, and are those oem sized, and speed rating.
>>
>> Greg

> I had the car for 1 year, and I think it was quite bumpy since I got
> it, although it's a bit hard to tell if it got any worse over time.
> Tires are OEM sized, Michelin Energy Saver, less than 1 year old,
> speed rate S.
>
> Somoene here mentioned shocks may lose presurization over time, which
> will lead to bumpiness. I think the pressure is in there to reduce oil
> foaming. Why should they get stiffer with less pressure?

cavitation. if you force the piston through the oil fast, at low
pressure, a cavity will open up behind it. when that cavity collapses,
you'll get a bump.

foaming is dissolved gas forming bubbles due to cavitation that's not
redissolving quickly. it's an issue in ride smoothness because gas
bubbles pass through valves much faster than oil - you get a bump as the
piston moves fast as the bubble go through, then a bump as it hits fluid
again.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old May 20th 11, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve Walker[_3_]

On 5/20/2011 11:25, Dan wrote:
> On May 20, 4:33 am, > wrote:
>> On May 18, 2:32 am, > wrote:
>>
>>> Well, I experienced a bit with the tire pressure - I set it to 28 PSI
>>> (instead of the recommended 32).
>>> The ride comfort improved noticeably.
>>> So, this leads me to the conclusion that even a slight increase in
>>> tire pressure, like after driving for a while,
>>> gives a bumpier ride on this car.

>>> It seems that something is wrong with the the shocks valving or maybe
>>> they are over pressurized,
>>> so that they don't let the suspension absorb small to medium road
>>> imperfections.

>>> Any thoughts or similar experience?

>> Seems like most of the suggestions have been made, but the OP failed
>> to give all info, like how long has he had it, history, tire label
>> specs, and are those oem sized, and speed rating.
>>
>> Greg

> I had the car for 1 year, and I think it was quite bumpy since I got
> it, although it's a bit hard to tell if it got any worse over time.
> Tires are OEM sized, Michelin Energy Saver, less than 1 year old,
> speed rate S.
>
> Somoene here mentioned shocks may lose presurization over time, which
> will lead to bumpiness. I think the pressure is in there to reduce oil
> foaming. Why should they get stiffer with less pressure?

My personal opinion is that energy saving tires, like increasing the
tire pressure,would tend to give a firmer ride, because the sidewalls
flexing consume the most energy, next to friction from soft rubber
compounds.

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)
Old May 21st 11, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 05/20/2011 01:48 PM, Steve Walker wrote:
> On 5/20/2011 11:25, Dan wrote:

>>> Seems like most of the suggestions have been made, but the OP failed
>>> to give all info, like how long has he had it, history, tire label
>>> specs, and are those oem sized, and speed rating.
>>>
>>> Greg

>> I had the car for 1 year, and I think it was quite bumpy since I got
>> it, although it's a bit hard to tell if it got any worse over time.
>> Tires are OEM sized, Michelin Energy Saver, less than 1 year old,
>> speed rate S.
>>
>> Somoene here mentioned shocks may lose presurization over time, which
>> will lead to bumpiness. I think the pressure is in there to reduce oil
>> foaming. Why should they get stiffer with less pressure?

> My personal opinion is that energy saving tires, like increasing the
> tire pressure,would tend to give a firmer ride, because the sidewalls
> flexing consume the most energy, next to friction from soft rubber
> compounds.

so you might think, but it doesn't work that way. flexing helps reduce
overall energy absorption because it's not being dissipated in bumping
3000+ lbs of car up and down. also, energy saving tires have rubber
with low hysteresis, not low flexibility.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum