NYC Taxicabs

Old May 4th 11, 01:29 AM posted to alt.news-media,alt.politics,rec.autos.tech
PolicySpy[_3_]

Default NYC Taxicabs

The Nissan NV200 has been chosen as the next NYC taxicab.

It's a mini-van with a sliding door, on a car frame, and it weighs
about 3,000 pounds. I see it listed with a 1.6 108 HP engine and I'll
guess the torque at 90 ft/lbs. I see it listed with a 1.5 turbo diesel
at 85 HP and 148 ft/lbs of torque. I found the weight at three
different values but I'll go with the 2791 pounds.

Well, a 2800 pound vehicle with a four-cylinder engine is not going to
be a good taxicab unless it is turbocharged. The reason is that
current turbocharging produces large amounts of torque at low RPM and
that makes city driving easy. And when the driving is easy the real
world MPG results will closely match the specifications.

So I'll make some vehicle weight to engine torque comparisons:

NV200, 1.6 gasoline engine, no turbo, 2791 / 90 = 31 pounds per unit
of torque
NV200, 1.6 gasoline engine, if it were a turbo, 2791 / 113 = 24.7
pounds per unit of torque
NV200, 1.5 diesel engine, with turbo, 2791 / 148 = 18.9 pounds per
unit of torque

Passat Wagon, 2.0 gasoline engine, with turbo, 3450 / 207 = 16.7
pounds per unit of torque
Passat Wagon, 2.0 diesel engine, with turbo, 3450 / 236 = 14.6 pounds
per unit of torque

Old May 4th 11, 02:16 AM posted to alt.news-media,alt.politics,rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX

Faulty reasoning.
Old May 4th 11, 02:48 AM posted to alt.news-media,alt.politics,rec.autos.tech
PolicySpy[_3_]

On May 3, 8:29*pm, PolicySpy > wrote:
> The Nissan NV200 has been chosen as the next NYC taxicab.
>
> It's a mini-van with a sliding door, on a car frame, and it weighs
> about 3,000 pounds. I see it listed with a 1.6 108 HP engine and I'll
> guess the torque at 90 ft/lbs. I see it listed with a 1.5 turbo diesel
> at 85 HP and 148 ft/lbs of torque. I found the weight at three
> different values but I'll go with the 2791 pounds.
>
> Well, a 2800 pound vehicle with a four-cylinder engine is not going to
> be a good taxicab unless it is turbocharged. The reason is that
> current turbocharging produces large amounts of torque at low RPM and
> that makes city driving easy. And when the driving is easy the real
> world MPG results will closely match the specifications.
>
> So I'll make some vehicle weight to engine torque comparisons:
>
> NV200, 1.6 gasoline engine, no turbo, 2791 / 90 = 31 pounds per unit
> of torque
> NV200, 1.6 gasoline engine, if it were a turbo, 2791 / 113 = 24.7
> pounds per unit of torque
> NV200, 1.5 diesel engine, with turbo, 2791 / 148 = 18.9 pounds per
> unit of torque
>
> Passat Wagon, 2.0 gasoline engine, with turbo, 3450 / 207 = 16.7
> pounds per unit of torque
> Passat Wagon, 2.0 diesel engine, with turbo, 3450 / 236 = 14.6 pounds
> per unit of torque

For the four-cylinder taxicab:

Current turbocharging produces large amounts of torque at lower RPM's
and that makes city driving effortless.
Old May 4th 11, 03:49 AM posted to alt.news-media,alt.politics,rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 05/03/2011 05:29 PM, PolicySpy wrote:
> The Nissan NV200 has been chosen as the next NYC taxicab.
>
> It's a mini-van with a sliding door, on a car frame, and it weighs
> about 3,000 pounds. I see it listed with a 1.6 108 HP engine and I'll
> guess the torque at 90 ft/lbs. I see it listed with a 1.5 turbo diesel
> at 85 HP and 148 ft/lbs of torque. I found the weight at three
> different values but I'll go with the 2791 pounds.
>
> Well, a 2800 pound vehicle with a four-cylinder engine is not going to
> be a good taxicab unless it is turbocharged. The reason is that
> current turbocharging produces large amounts of torque at low RPM and
> that makes city driving easy. And when the driving is easy the real
> world MPG results will closely match the specifications.
>
> So I'll make some vehicle weight to engine torque comparisons:
>
> NV200, 1.6 gasoline engine, no turbo, 2791 / 90 = 31 pounds per unit
> of torque
> NV200, 1.6 gasoline engine, if it were a turbo, 2791 / 113 = 24.7
> pounds per unit of torque
> NV200, 1.5 diesel engine, with turbo, 2791 / 148 = 18.9 pounds per
> unit of torque
>
> Passat Wagon, 2.0 gasoline engine, with turbo, 3450 / 207 = 16.7
> pounds per unit of torque
> Passat Wagon, 2.0 diesel engine, with turbo, 3450 / 236 = 14.6 pounds
> per unit of torque

have you ever been to london? or even san francisco?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_FX4

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old May 4th 11, 06:23 AM posted to alt.news-media,alt.politics,rec.autos.tech
PolicySpy[_3_]

Here's the subject origin:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/media/totweb...rrow_home.html
Old May 4th 11, 03:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

The Karsan vehicles are made in Turkey.Karsan offered to build/assemble
some vehicles in New York if New York City chose Karsan.I think New York
City has decided not to go with Karsan.I say New York City would do well
to choose Ford for their Taxi of Tomorrow.Only my opinion.
http://www.devilfinder.com/find.php?...an+Cars+Turkey
cuhulin

Old May 4th 11, 03:56 PM posted to alt.news-media,alt.politics,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

PolicySpy > wrote:

>For the four-cylinder taxicab:
>
>Current turbocharging produces large amounts of torque at lower RPM's
>and that makes city driving effortless.

All the torque in the world won't make driving in NYC effortless.

If anything, I would like to see a limit on the total available horsepower
for NYC taxicabs. Also I would like to see a law preventing driving on
the sidewalk.

One of the nice things about the Checkers is that they didn't have great
acceleration. This limited the amount of possible silliness.
--scott
Old May 4th 11, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

About twenty years ago I went to an auction in my local area.A guy and
his wife (or his girlfriend) bought an old Checker Taxicab.They paid
$700.00 for that Checker Taxicab.Those Checkers were Great Taxicabs way
back then, they were built like a Tank.Checker once built at least one
Jeep.
cuhulin

Old May 4th 11, 09:58 PM posted to alt.news-media,alt.politics,rec.autos.tech
PolicySpy[_3_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> All the torque in the world won't make driving in NYC effortless.
>
> If anything, I would like to see a limit on the total available horsepower
> for NYC taxicabs. *Also I would like to see a law preventing driving on
> the sidewalk.
>
> One of the nice things about the Checkers is that they didn't have great
> acceleration. *This limited the amount of possible silliness.

PolicySpy writes:

Current gasoline turbos produce peak torque at less than 2000 RPM and
then hold peak torque to upper mid-range.

Current diesel turbos produce peak torque at less than 2000 RPM and
hold peak torque to low mid-range.

But when the vehicle is easy to drive in city driving then the drivers
will be easy on the vehicle.

Old May 5th 11, 03:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

This morning I saw an article at
http://www.rense.com
(Headline News 24/7)
that says NYC has picked Nissan for their new NYC Taxicabs of Tomorrow.
cuhulin