1999 Dodge Ram 5.9L engine died while parking

Old January 14th 05, 10:50 PM
TCS

Default 1999 Dodge Ram 5.9L engine died while parking

On 14 Jan 2005 22:27:38 GMT, Ignoramus14690 > wrote:
>1999 Dodge ram, about 55,000 miles, 5.9L engine.

>Today was a cold morning, about 5F. I drove to the train station and
>was parking my pickup. (engine was warm by this time). I backed out of
>the parking spot a bit and then put my truck in forward, at which
>point the engine stopped. I was able to turn the key off and restart
>it instantly, so no big trouble.

>I would like to know what may cause this behavior.

>thanks

Wow. Auto engines sure have come a long way when somebody
has a car stall and it's something that can't be understood.

If it doesn't happen all the time, ignore it. It'll live. You'll live.

Old January 14th 05, 11:40 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, TCS wrote:

> >1999 Dodge ram, about 55,000 miles, 5.9L engine. Today was a cold
> >morning, about 5F. I drove to the train station and was parking my
> >pickup. (engine was warm by this time). I backed out of the parking
> >spot a bit and then put my truck in forward, at which point the engine
> >stopped. I was able to turn the key off and restart it instantly, so no
> >big trouble.

> Wow. Auto engines sure have come a long way when somebody has a car
> stall and it's something that can't be understood.

Yeah, eh? A few decades ago, the diagnostic flowchart for this problem
would be simple and short. Nowtimes, it's one of those phantom
intermittent problem "ghosts" that can prove damn near impossible to
exorcise.

> If it doesn't happen all the time, ignore it. It'll live. You'll live.

Probably the only sensible advice to give, yeah.
Old January 15th 05, 12:55 AM
nitro

A stalling problem at idle usually indicates a dirty throttle body.With
55000 on the clock its time to do some maintenance.Get a can of carb or
throttle body cleaner at the parts store and spray it in there.If its real
dirty you might need to use a soft briseled brush to aid in cleaning.

Dodge Shadow Engine Quits BeeJay Chrysler 15 January 29th 05 08:50 PM
Dodge Shadow Engine Quits BeeJay Dodge 0 January 7th 05 06:35 PM
2000 Dodge Neon (Ticking, Noisy starting engine) Ken Dodge 14 April 23rd 04 04:06 PM