300M ac

Old June 1st 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Default 300M ac

Bob Shuman wrote:
> "Steve" > wrote in message
>
>>Steven Stone wrote:
>>
>>>Just cracked 20,000 miles on my wifes 2000 3ooM.
>>>Why does the condensor fail ? poor design ?

>>Condensor? I've never heard of the condensor failing. Evaporator-
>>definitely and you could argue its a design problem, but its more a
>>materials problem in that carmakers have switched to aluminum evaporators
>>for R-134a systems, and they corrode more easily than the old brass/copper
>>cores.
>>
>>Condensors fail when small rocks punch holes in them, and the low nose of
>>the LH cars and open intake below the bumper tend to increase the odds of
>>that happening. I'm utterly amazed that our LH has gone 247,000 miles
>>*without* catching a rock in just the wrong place. The lower 1/3 of the
>>evaporator looks battered to hell, but its still intact.

> ^^^^^^^^
>
> I think you meant condenser, but typed evaporator!

Isn't it a fundamental law of Usenet that if you correct grammar, you
make a grammar mistake? I guess if you try to clear up
"condensor/evaporator" you're guaranteed to make the same mistake too :-p

You've had very good
> luck with the AC on that vehicle.
>
> Bob

I didn't mean to imply it had never been repaired- its had an EVAPORATOR
(see, got it right that time) replaced and shortly thereafter I had to
replace the compressor (probably from oil starvation due to all the oil
leaking out the leaky evaporator). But that was well over 100k miles ago.

Old June 2nd 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe[_3_]

You have got to be kidding. They replaced a head gasket and they're not
responsible for coolant leaks? That's just crazy.

Old June 2nd 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe[_3_]

This doesn't make sense. April1rst is referring to the head gasket work.
You are referring to the head gasket work. There's wasn't any confusion. It
fits.

Old June 2nd 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Art[_1_]

Thanks to everyone for all their help.

End result is that the ac started cooling again without any repair. So
maybe it was just a control system screw up and the system fixed itself.
Perhaps a stuck door. I gave my wife the instructions to reset the system
but it actually started cooling before she tried the reset and she never got
the reset to work (no flashing display). So we will let things rest for
now. I guess this is one time I can say "cannot duplicate problem".

link.net...