PT Transmission Service

Old January 30th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default PT Transmission Service

My wife's 2005 convertible is coming up on 30K miles. What is the
plan for servicing the transmission. I have read many posts about
having it done by a dealer using the approved AFT +4 fluid only. What
else is necessary? Clean screen, new filter, clean pan, etc. Sorry
for the lack of knowledge, but my car is a 1940 Chrysler Royal Coupe
that I actually know how to service!
Thank you
--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"
Old January 30th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

You have most of it.. The main thing is make sure that the service you
get replaces the filter etc... the Suck and replace fluid thing is a
waste of cash...

Old January 30th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

I don't have a PT, but expect that preventive maintenance it is the same as
for any other Chrysler transmission and that access should be just as easy
as well. (And should not be too much different from what you do for your
antique either...)

Getting to the 13 or so pan bolts is usually easy on a front wheel vehicle
using a basic 3/8" metric socket and ordinary extensions. The biggest
problem I've had with changing fluid and filter is that there is no drain
plug, so it is a bit messy when you break the RTV sealant used by the
factory. I've found that if you leave some of the pan bolts on by a few
threads, you can slip a putty knife in at a corner you can pry the pan free
without causing any pan deformation or re-sealing problems. I then remove
some bolts and tilt the pan down from one side and try to get as much fluid
to drain into my catch basin before dropping the pan by hand the rest of the
way to get the rest. Having some newspaper or cardboard under the pan area
and wearing old clothes is a very good idea. Once I get the pan off, I
usually leave it to drain overnight to try to get as much of the old fluid
as I can out.

I then thoroughly clean off all the old dried RTV from both the transmission
housing as well as the pan using a razor scraper and wire brush. I then
replace the filter with a new Mopar one and thoroughly clean the inside of
the pan using brake cleaner spray some paper towels, and a soft cotton rag.
I then clean off the magnet of all metal filings before replacing it in the
clean pan and then re-installing it to the trans housing. I personally
like using the Chrysler combination metal/silicone gasket which is a bit
expensive than RTV, but can be re-used up to three times. I then re-torque
all the bolts using an alternating pattern to the FSM spec before refilling
with the same amount of ATF+4 that I drained in the catch basin or lost to
the floor. (Recheck the ATF level after you start up the car and circulate
the fluid for a few minutes using the procedure in the owners manual.) Most
times this is about 6 quarts or so of new fluid.

I have three Chrysler cars and a Mitsubishi that uses a Chrysler trans as
well. I do this to them all every 30-36K miles and have not had experienced
any trans problems on my 4 vehicles. The oldest, a 1991 3000GT, currently
has over 130K miles and still shifts very smoothly.

Good luck!

Bob

> My wife's 2005 convertible is coming up on 30K miles. What is the
> plan for servicing the transmission. I have read many posts about
> having it done by a dealer using the approved AFT +4 fluid only. What
> else is necessary? Clean screen, new filter, clean pan, etc. Sorry
> for the lack of knowledge, but my car is a 1940 Chrysler Royal Coupe
> that I actually know how to service!
> Thank you
> --
> "What do you mean there's no movie?"

Help - Diagnostic Bus not working! Duane Chrysler 7 January 15th 06 03:21 PM
Transmission service on 2000 Accord bob Honda 20 December 23rd 05 02:32 PM
A3 Service Indicator - Premature? Phil Devaney Audi 5 November 7th 05 04:35 PM
transmission flushes? Magnulus Driving 2 March 10th 05 04:33 AM
Does this seem right..? Elector Saturn 18 January 5th 05 02:48 AM