Battery will not charge with leads connected

Old August 16th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Battery will not charge with leads connected

I have an odd problem with a 1994 Grand Am. The battery will not draw
any current from a battery charger when the positive & negative cables
from the vehicle are connected to the battery. If I disconnect the
leads and connect the charger directly to the posts, then it draws
current perfectly and charges completely.

Any thoughts why the battery will not draw current when the cables are
connected?

Thanks!

Old August 17th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

That usually means there is a black oxide coating either on the posts or
the terminals causing a bad connection.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 17th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jasolution

Mike,

That was one of the first thoughts I had, but I wire brushed the cables
and posts and the problem persists. The battery is in good shape and
the car starts strongly.

I'm just stumped.

Jason

Old August 17th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Daryl Bryant[_3_]

Try a water and baking soda mix - clean the entire battery!!

--
Bing Bang Boom Viola Done!
ups.com...

Old August 17th 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul[_3_]

The fact that your charging makes me wonder if your alternator diodes
are up to snuff. Test cars throwback voltage, if the alt. is putting
out, I'm stumped. No alt. output makes me suspect the diodes.

Throwback test tools VOM

Connect VOM to Battery should read approx 12 volts

Start engine, with engine running, test battery voltage, should
be approx 13 or so volts. Same voltage means no output, higher voltage
means charging OK
Old August 17th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Umm, he is not using the alternator....

Mike

Old August 17th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Al Bundy

Mike Romain wrote:
> Umm, he is not using the alternator....
>
> Mike

Yea, and 12 volts is essentially a dead battery. And 13v won's really
charge one well.
Too much guessing and approximation to help.

dual battery ihcnut via CarKB.com 4x4 19 July 31st 06 01:23 PM
95 Jeep GC sluggish crank Steve Kraus Jeep 4 July 18th 06 07:36 AM
Recharging Battery? Nino NoSpam Honda 12 July 10th 06 04:50 PM
Batteries, voltage & Alternators. Josh Assing BMW 11 February 18th 06 07:29 PM
battery won't charge jbrown Technology 3 June 15th 05 07:58 PM