Some dash lights not working

Old January 5th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default Some dash lights not working

I posted this question some time back, and got little response. I
posted it on another Explorer board, and the only response I got was
"GEM module" with no other explanation. So I took it to my favorite
mechanic, and asked him to check it out. He called me and said it
definitely wasn't that the GEM module, but it would take him a couple of
hours to figure it out. I authorized that, and later he told me it was
the Dimmer Module. He ordered that and put it in, and indeeed, it fixed
it. So, in case anyone else is having the same problem, I'm posting
this here.

Original thread:

Nov 17 2005, 7:51 pm

This post is regarding a 96 Sport with a standard AM/FM/Casette stereo
system.

The light for "Speed Control" and the button lights on my radio no
longer light up when I turn the dash lights on. The radio display
doesn't dim when I turn the lights on, either. It's almost like the
radio and that Speed Control light aren't getting the signal that the
lights are on. I checked fuses, paying particular attention to:

3 Parking lamps
7 Illum. switches
10 EATC system, Rear blower, Speed control, GEM system, Brake interlock,
Overhead console, Automatic Ride Control
20 Radio, Power antenna, GEM system, Anti-theft, Cellular phone
29 Audio system

No fuses appear to be blown. I removed the ones listed above to make
sure. I examined the rest of them in place, and they looked OK.

I pulled the radio out and checked the electrical connections, and they
appear to be properly connected.

The switches on either side of the radio are lit up properly. I haven't
seen anything else that isn't working right.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Bacchus1
Nov 28 2005, 10:24 am show options
Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
From: "Bacchus1" > - Find messages by this
author
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:24:47 -0500
Subject: Some dash lights not working
Report Abuse

I have same problem with my 2000. Also, the first third of my spedometer
isnt lit. I was in someone elses explorer yesterday and they had the same
sped. light problem. If you solve the problem, please let me know and I
will do same.

thanks

Ratbert
Nov 28 2005, 9:32 pm show options
Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
From: Ratbert > - Find
messages by this author
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 05:32:02 GMT
Report Abuse

Bacchus1 wrote:
> I have same problem with my 2000. Also, the first third of my spedometer
> isnt lit. I was in someone elses explorer yesterday and they had the same
> sped. light problem. If you solve the problem, please let me know and I
> will do same.

> thanks

I haven't solved the problem yet. I haven't noticed any spedometer
lights out, but I'll try to pay special attention to that on my way to
work tomorrow.

What I think is strange is that the Speed Control light does come on if
my lights are off, but not if the lights are on. Something changes
there when the lights get switched on, and that may be the key to
solving this problem.