Midwinter drive

Old July 5th 10, 05:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_3_]

Default Midwinter drive

On 2010-07-04, Chris D'Agnolo > wrote:

> "Me" > wrote in message
> nz is sooo
>>> like yesterday.

>> Yes it is - like Lake Wobegon, but fewer Lutherans and milder
>> winters.

> Don't think you're going to slip the Garrison Keillor reference past this
> American ;-)

Nor this one.

> Apparently NPR's genius is world renowned!
>
> 'Cool' to hear about your winter drive. It'll be awhile before we get
> our month of winter here ;-)

July in Houston! Ah, the memories of working in the gulf coast sun
wearing long-sleeved Nomex coveralls. I only did it a few times, but
it's not something you forget quickly.

> Later,
> Chris (in Hou)

Grant (who just walked past Garrison Keillor's house a few hours ago).

Old July 5th 10, 09:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Me[_12_]

On 5/07/2010 4:11 a.m., Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> "Me" > wrote in message
> nz is sooo
>>> like yesterday.

>> Yes it is - like Lake Wobegon, but fewer Lutherans and milder winters.

> Don't think you're going to slip the Garrison Keillor reference past
> this American ;-) Apparently NPR's genius is world renowned!

Is "NPR" National Public Radio?
A Prairie Home Companion was aired on Radio NZ National here.
I toured the US by road years ago - 15,000 slow miles in 4 months -
route was not straight lines by any means, and we avoided interstates.
There was some car show on AM public radio those days (early 90s) - two
guys bantering - taking the p*ss out of US "car culture". Can't
remember what is was called, but it was (IMO) very good.

Old July 5th 10, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

http://www.cartalk.com/

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old July 5th 10, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Grant Edwards" > wrote in message
> On 2010-07-04, Chris D'Agnolo > >
> Grant (who just walked past Garrison Keillor's house a few hours ago).

Where's that crazy dude live these days, Phoenix?

Chris
99BBB

Old July 5th 10, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Me[_12_]

On 6/07/2010 4:20 a.m., Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In >, >
> wrote:
>
>> There was some car show on AM public radio those days (early 90s) - two
>> guys bantering - taking the p*ss out of US "car culture". Can't
>> remember what is was called

> http://www.cartalk.com/

That's it - thanks.
"Do two people who don't know what they're talking about know more or
less than one person who doesn't know what he's talking about?"
heh.
Old July 6th 10, 06:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_3_]

On 2010-07-05, Chris D'Agnolo > wrote:

> "Grant Edwards" > wrote in message ...
>
>> Grant (who just walked past Garrison Keillor's house a few hours ago).

> Where's that crazy dude live these days, Phoenix?

Saint Paul, Minnesota. He lives in a large turn-of-the century
mansion just down the street from the Governor's mansion and the James
J. Hill mansion. It's on "Cathedral Hill" overlooking the Mississipi
river valley and downtown Saint Paul. It's a very nice neighborhood.

--
Grant

Old July 6th 10, 09:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Me[_12_]

On 6/07/2010 10:07 a.m., Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
it is a great
> radio show that is ...... kind of, about cars ;-)

Yes it is great (IMO).
The formula would work well outside the US, everywhere except possibly
Germany.

Old July 6th 10, 11:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Domagoj Bagaric[_2_]

On 4.7.2010. 5:59, Me wrote:

> Yes it is - like Lake Wobegon, but fewer Lutherans and milder winters.

jk. I love NZ, gonna go there some day. on a big ass r1200gs
across-the-world trip
Old July 7th 10, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Grant Edwards" > wrote in message
> On 2010-07-05, Chris D'Agnolo > wrote:
>
>> "Grant Edwards" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Grant (who just walked past Garrison Keillor's house a few hours ago).

>> Where's that crazy dude live these days, Phoenix?

> Saint Paul, Minnesota. He lives in a large turn-of-the century
> mansion just down the street from the Governor's mansion and the James
> J. Hill mansion. It's on "Cathedral Hill" overlooking the Mississipi
> river valley and downtown Saint Paul. It's a very nice neighborhood.
>
> --
> Grant

So, he does still live in that part of the country, eh? That's cool. One of
my brothers and his family lived up there for a couple of decades and have
now (happily) headed west (they are the ones in Phoenix, I knew it was
somebody ;-)

Later,
Chris
99BBB

Old July 7th 10, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Grant Edwards" > wrote in message > "The >> podcast
is This American Life, by Ira Glass. Great stuff!

> TAL is my favorite. I saw TAL live a couple years ago, and it was
> brilliant, though it was quite jarring -- in real life, Ira Glass
> didn't look at all like he did in my head all these years. Except for
> his glasses. The glasses were right. I saw Tom and Ray in a Nova
> episode a while back and had the same problem. I've decided seeing
> radio personalities just isn't a good thing to do.
>
> Anyway, they did a couple seasons of a TAL TV show on Showtime or one
> of the cable channels as well. It was available on Netflix streaming
> the last time I looked.
>
> --
> Grant

LOL! You have a good point, there's something to that 'having a face for
radio' ;-)

The funny thing to me, with the Tappet brothers (aside from their perfect
comedic timing and great chemistry that comes with a lifetime of giving each
other crap!) is their insight into peoples personality! These guys are good!
;-)

Enjoy!
Chris
99BBB

4 wheel drive/lack of 4 wheel drive problem, 95 YJ [email protected] Jeep 4 January 17th 08 02:09 AM
95 Wrangler 4 wheel drive/lack of 4 wheel drive problem [email protected] Chrysler 0 January 16th 08 05:55 PM
Your Right to Drive proffsl Driving 277 March 27th 07 02:01 AM
What do YOU drive?? LuvrSmel Simulators 41 May 5th 05 01:51 PM
Drive this away [email protected] Driving 2 December 23rd 04 05:35 PM