MX-5 Jubilee Magazine

Old June 2nd 10, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default MX-5 Jubilee Magazine

Bruno, Copenhagen - Denmark wrote:
> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>>
>> After seeing pictures of your car in the winter snows, I feel for you
>> man! Why don't you move to TX and get a rust free Miata ;-)
>>

> There certainly would be some upsides in moving to TX. I did a quick
> brainstorm on pro's and con's to help me think :-)
>
> Pro's:
> - Better weather
> - Friendly people
> - An 8 year old NB with 60,000 miles on it costs less than 35,000 US.
> - More room on the streets.
> - Gas is free (well almost)
> - Danish is something you eat not something you are.
> - Football is entertaining
> - There is a MSM Miata and engine tuning is not restricted to 20%
> - Doing more than 100 MPH on the freeway does not equal risking having
> to retake the drivers test (I think).
>
> Con's
> - Work weeks are longer than 37 hours (lunch included)
> - 6 weeks of paid vacation yearly is not normal
> - What to do with all the money saved in taxes
> - All roads only have 90 degree turns :-)
> - Danish is something you eat not something you are.
> - No yearly burning of witches
> (http://www99.epinions.com/content_1470341252)
>
> It's tough to make a choice so I will need to think harder. Do let me
> know if I missed :-)
>
> I'm planing to have the car serviced and then get the rust looked at. I
> got a preliminary quote for a complete respray at just 2,500 US so it
> may be it's time to get all the little sratches and so fixed. Of course
> it also depends on what fixing the rust will cost. My goal is to get the
> yearly running cost of the car below US 6.000 (it's paid for so it
> should be possible - in theory).
>
> Kind regards
> Bruno

Better weather!?!?!?

We did have a bit of a Spring this year, maybe two weeks worth, but we
will probably hit 100 degrees today. This place is a furnace from June
until October. :-)

Pat

Old June 2nd 10, 06:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default TEXAS (was MX-5 Jubilee Magazine) NMC

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article >,
> "Bruno, Copenhagen - Denmark" >
> wrote:
>
>> - No yearly burning of witches

> In Texas, they burn liberals instead. Daily.

We haven't burned Chris yet!

There has been at least some shift to the left that I have detected over
the last 10 or so years.

Austin, (well, Travis County), is actually somewhat of a liberal oasis
within the state, but I would still like to check out a place that is
more progressive and less Bubba-fied, no offense to my fellow Texans.

Pat
Old June 2nd 10, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

pws wrote:
> Bruno, Copenhagen - Denmark wrote:
>> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>>>
>>> After seeing pictures of your car in the winter snows, I feel for
>>> you man! Why don't you move to TX and get a rust free Miata ;-)
>>>

>> There certainly would be some upsides in moving to TX. I did a quick
>> brainstorm on pro's and con's to help me think :-)
>>
>> Pro's:
>> - Better weather
>> - Friendly people
>> - An 8 year old NB with 60,000 miles on it costs less than 35,000 US.
>> - More room on the streets.
>> - Gas is free (well almost)
>> - Danish is something you eat not something you are.
>> - Football is entertaining
>> - There is a MSM Miata and engine tuning is not restricted to 20%
>> - Doing more than 100 MPH on the freeway does not equal risking
>> having to retake the drivers test (I think).
>>
>> Con's
>> - Work weeks are longer than 37 hours (lunch included)
>> - 6 weeks of paid vacation yearly is not normal
>> - What to do with all the money saved in taxes
>> - All roads only have 90 degree turns :-)
>> - Danish is something you eat not something you are.
>> - No yearly burning of witches
>> (http://www99.epinions.com/content_1470341252)
>>
>> It's tough to make a choice so I will need to think harder. Do let me
>> know if I missed :-)
>>
>> I'm planing to have the car serviced and then get the rust looked
>> at. I got a preliminary quote for a complete respray at just 2,500
>> US so it may be it's time to get all the little sratches and so
>> fixed. Of course it also depends on what fixing the rust will cost.
>> My goal is to get the yearly running cost of the car below US 6.000
>> (it's paid for so it should be possible - in theory).
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Bruno

> Better weather!?!?!?
>
> We did have a bit of a Spring this year, maybe two weeks worth, but we
> will probably hit 100 degrees today. This place is a furnace from June
> until October. :-)
>
> Pat

Amen. I'll put the top up and the AC on going home from work most days.
Funny story: I went to DMV to register my "new" MSM in Texas this morning.
I should have known to get it inspected first, I suppose, but I didn't so
they turned me away. I had filled out the form already and the clerk told
me I would have to fill it out again because there was something scribbled
out and they couldn't read it. I said they weren't supposed to be able to
read it, that's why I crossed it out. I had started to fill out something
in the wrong field. Apparently this invalidates the entire form. Argghh.

Old June 2nd 10, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Frank Berger" > wrote:

> Funny story: I went to DMV to register my "new" MSM in Texas this
> morning. I should have known to get it inspected first, I suppose,
> but I didn't so they turned me away. I had filled out the form
> already and the clerk told me I would have to fill it out again
> because there was something scribbled out and they couldn't read
> it. I said they weren't supposed to be able to read it, that's
> why I crossed it out. I had started to fill out something in the
> wrong field. Apparently this invalidates the entire form. Argghh.

They are the same everywhere, bureaucracy rules!

Arizona has become MUCH better over the last 10 - 15 years and many
things can be done on line rather than the long waits at the DMV.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old June 2nd 10, 09:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bruno, Copenhagen - Denmark

XS11E wrote:

> They are the same everywhere, bureaucracy rules!

This goes straight on my "con's" list :-)

Our DMV provides good service to people however it must be said there is
a 180% registration tax on new cars ( with a 25% VAT on top of the full
amount) so they better give good service!
Old June 2nd 10, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

pws wrote:
> Lanny Chambers wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "Bruno, Copenhagen - Denmark" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> - No yearly burning of witches

>> In Texas, they burn liberals instead. Daily.

> We haven't burned Chris yet!
>
> There has been at least some shift to the left that I have detected
> over the last 10 or so years.
>
> Austin, (well, Travis County), is actually somewhat of a liberal oasis

Some might call it a liberal desert. To each his own.

Old June 2nd 10, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Frank Berger wrote:
> pws wrote:
>> Lanny Chambers wrote:
>>> In article >,

>>> In Texas, they burn liberals instead. Daily.

>> We haven't burned Chris yet!
>>
>> There has been at least some shift to the left that I have detected
>> over the last 10 or so years.
>>
>> Austin, (well, Travis County), is actually somewhat of a liberal oasis

> Some might call it a liberal desert. To each his own.

I should have said "some call Austin a liberal oasis".

As a strict Libertarian, I am not going to call it an oasis or a desert.
as I have arguments against both sides.

Pat
Old June 3rd 10, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Frank Berger wrote:
> pws wrote:
>> Bruno, Copenhagen - Denmark wrote:
>>>>
>>> There certainly would be some upsides in moving to TX. I did a quick
>>> brainstorm on pro's and con's to help me think :-)
>>>
>>> Pro's:
>>> - Better weather
>>> - Friendly people
>>> - An 8 year old NB with 60,000 miles on it costs less than 35,000 US.
>>> - More room on the streets.
>>> - Gas is free (well almost)
>>> - Danish is something you eat not something you are.
>>> - Football is entertaining
>>> - There is a MSM Miata and engine tuning is not restricted to 20%
>>> - Doing more than 100 MPH on the freeway does not equal risking
>>> having to retake the drivers test (I think).
>>>
>>> Con's
>>> - Work weeks are longer than 37 hours (lunch included)
>>> - 6 weeks of paid vacation yearly is not normal
>>> - What to do with all the money saved in taxes
>>> - All roads only have 90 degree turns :-)
>>> - Danish is something you eat not something you are.
>>> - No yearly burning of witches
>>> (http://www99.epinions.com/content_1470341252)
>>>
>>> It's tough to make a choice so I will need to think harder. Do let me
>>> know if I missed :-)
>>>
>>> I'm planing to have the car serviced and then get the rust looked
>>> at. I got a preliminary quote for a complete respray at just 2,500
>>> US so it may be it's time to get all the little sratches and so
>>> fixed. Of course it also depends on what fixing the rust will cost.
>>> My goal is to get the yearly running cost of the car below US 6.000
>>> (it's paid for so it should be possible - in theory).
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>> Bruno

>> Better weather!?!?!?
>>
>> We did have a bit of a Spring this year, maybe two weeks worth, but we
>> will probably hit 100 degrees today. This place is a furnace from June
>> until October. :-)
>>
>> Pat

> Amen. I'll put the top up and the AC on going home from work most days.
> Funny story: I went to DMV to register my "new" MSM in Texas this morning.
> I should have known to get it inspected first, I suppose, but I didn't so
> they turned me away. I had filled out the form already and the clerk told
> me I would have to fill it out again because there was something scribbled
> out and they couldn't read it. I said they weren't supposed to be able to
> read it, that's why I crossed it out. I had started to fill out something
> in the wrong field. Apparently this invalidates the entire form. Argghh.

I hate it when I do something like that while filling out forms.

Also, along with the negative comments on the hot Texas weather, I
should throw in the positive aspects such as never once in my life
shoveling snow, and the ability to frequently go for comfortable, top
down drives during the Christmas season.

With the widespread availability of A/C in the home and car, I will take
the heat over the cold. Before A/C, I would have wanted to be north.

Most of the time I can have my summer outdoors fun in the morning before
it approaches triple digits, or just make sure that cold water is part
of the plans for the day, like today, when I decided to go swimming
rather than work.

Pat

Old June 3rd 10, 05:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Bruno, Copenhagen - Denmark" > wrote in
message ...
> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>>
>> After seeing pictures of your car in the winter snows, I feel for you
>> man! Why don't you move to TX and get a rust free Miata ;-)
>>

> There certainly would be some upsides in moving to TX. I did a quick
> brainstorm on pro's and con's to help me think :-)
>
> Pro's:
> - Better weather
> - Friendly people
> - An 8 year old NB with 60,000 miles on it costs less than 35,000 US.
> - More room on the streets.
> - Gas is free (well almost)
> - Danish is something you eat not something you are.
> - Football is entertaining
> - There is a MSM Miata and engine tuning is not restricted to 20%
> - Doing more than 100 MPH on the freeway does not equal risking having
> to retake the drivers test (I think).
>
> Con's
> - Work weeks are longer than 37 hours (lunch included)
> - 6 weeks of paid vacation yearly is not normal
> - What to do with all the money saved in taxes
> - All roads only have 90 degree turns :-)
> - Danish is something you eat not something you are.
> - No yearly burning of witches
> (http://www99.epinions.com/content_1470341252)
>
> It's tough to make a choice so I will need to think harder. Do let me know
> if I missed :-)
>
> I'm planing to have the car serviced and then get the rust looked at. I
> got a preliminary quote for a complete respray at just 2,500 US so it may
> be it's time to get all the little sratches and so fixed. Of course it
> also depends on what fixing the rust will cost. My goal is to get the
> yearly running cost of the car below US 6.000 (it's paid for so it should
> be possible - in theory).
>
> Kind regards
> Bruno

- Friendly people ........ this is a relative term, hard to quantify!
- An 8 year old NB with 60,000 miles on it costs about $8000 US!
- Gas is free (well almost) ......... ya, whatever (classic American
attitude ;-)
- Doing more than 100 MPH on the freeway ...... penalty varies (don't get
caught!)
- Work weeks are longer than 37 hours .... ya, usually, I'd guess avg 45~50
- 6 weeks of paid vacation yearly ....... better plan on 2 wks if you're
fortunate
- All roads only have 90 degree turns ..... well, let's just say some of us
have to drive a way to get to good roads
- No yearly burning of witches ....... hard to get past this one ;-)

I'd say overall you're pretty close on the mark. Just get yer butt over here
and find out for yourself! We should do that trade houses for the holiday
thing like in that movie but I want to be the one that gets the hot chick
and you can be the one that gets an old dried up film star ;-) lol!

Chris
99BBB