learned something new

Old May 16th 10, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default learned something new

I had no idea that such a beast as this NC hardtop existed.

http://tinyurl.com/25hr92a

Pat
Old May 16th 10, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"pws" > wrote in message
>I had no idea that such a beast as this NC hardtop existed.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/25hr92a
>
> Pat

Ya, they came out with that at the 06 launch, there were pics all around.
Never have seen one in the flesh and it really baffles me that they bothered
with a redesigned hardtop when the PRHT was surely in the works already,
you would think.

Chris
99BBB

Old May 16th 10, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

I see where you got it now, currently on sale at miata.net. Some additional
info from the ad;

Mazda Part # NFY2-R1-81XE-68
Sunlight Silver (22V) List Price: $3,099.00
My price: $1650. Includes my time in helping you to install it on your car,
so local pick up only!

It's in the newest listings currently.

Chris

99BBB

Old May 17th 10, 04:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> "pws" > wrote in message
>> I had no idea that such a beast as this NC hardtop existed.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/25hr92a
>>
>> Pat

> Ya, they came out with that at the 06 launch, there were pics all
> around. Never have seen one in the flesh and it really baffles me that
> they bothered with a redesigned hardtop when the PRHT was surely in the
> works already, you would think.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Are there any classes of racing that consider the PRHT inadequate as a
roof, but will take a "solid" hardtop instead?

I can see some people preferring the older style, (not me!), but I could
not believe that Mazda would have done this for such a small market.

Unless some engineer figured out at the last minute what could be fit
where, and within budget............Anyone know for sure why this
hardtop exists at all?

Pat
Old May 17th 10, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> I see where you got it now, currently on sale at miata.net. Some
> additional info from the ad;
>
> Mazda Part # NFY2-R1-81XE-68
> Sunlight Silver (22V) List Price: $3,099.00
> My price: $1650. Includes my time in helping you to install it on your
> car, so local pick up only!
>

> It's in the newest listings currently.
>
> Chris
>
> 99BBB

Chris,

How about if Mazda reintroduced the Mazdaspeed Miata, but with 200
factory horsepower and 16 inch forged BBS wheels, and the PRHT worked
into the NB design?

Put the seats from the 1995 "M" edition in it, and offer it in both
black and that crazy new red, at a "reasonable" price.

Would you race me to the dealership for one? :-)

Pat

Old May 20th 10, 06:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"pws" > wrote in message >
> I can see some people preferring the older style, (not me!), but I could
> not believe that Mazda would have done this for such a small market.
>
> Unless some engineer figured out at the last minute what could be fit
> where, and within budget............Anyone know for sure why this hardtop
> exists at all?
>
> Pat

I would have to call it an anomaly. One of those goof ups big companies
sometimes make. I can't imagine how few were sold or how much $ was spent in
the R&D and build process.

Chris
99BBB

Old May 20th 10, 06:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"pws" > wrote in message
> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>>
>> I see where you got it now, currently on sale at miata.net. Some
>> additional info from the ad;
>>
>> Mazda Part # NFY2-R1-81XE-68
>> Sunlight Silver (22V) List Price: $3,099.00
>> My price: $1650. Includes my time in helping you to install it on your
>> car, so local pick up only!
>>

>> It's in the newest listings currently.
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> 99BBB

> Chris,
>
> How about if Mazda reintroduced the Mazdaspeed Miata, but with 200 factory
> horsepower and 16 inch forged BBS wheels, and the PRHT worked into the NB
> design?
>
> Put the seats from the 1995 "M" edition in it, and offer it in both black
> and that crazy new red, at a "reasonable" price.
>
> Would you race me to the dealership for one? :-)
>
> Pat

They don't even have to incorporate the NB into the design for me. I'm one
who gives a thumbs up to the NC other than the ****ty smiling Mazda
corporate face (somebody really should be shot for that mess). But ya, the
idea you have is wonderful. If Mazda wasn't so anal about rotary's being in
RX's only and such, I'd die for the RX8 engine transplanted into the NC!

A tech I met at an AZ dealership had plans to do the swap into his NB (iirc)
but I don't know if he ever followed thru.

Chris
99BBB

Old May 20th 10, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> "pws" > wrote in message
>> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>>>
>>> I see where you got it now, currently on sale at miata.net. Some
>>> additional info from the ad;
>>>
>>> Mazda Part # NFY2-R1-81XE-68
>>> Sunlight Silver (22V) List Price: $3,099.00
>>> My price: $1650. Includes my time in helping you to install it on
>>> your car, so local pick up only!
>>>

>>> It's in the newest listings currently.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>
>>> 99BBB

>> Chris,
>>
>> How about if Mazda reintroduced the Mazdaspeed Miata, but with 200
>> factory horsepower and 16 inch forged BBS wheels, and the PRHT worked
>> into the NB design?
>>
>> Put the seats from the 1995 "M" edition in it, and offer it in both
>> black and that crazy new red, at a "reasonable" price.
>>
>> Would you race me to the dealership for one? :-)
>>
>> Pat
>>

> They don't even have to incorporate the NB into the design for me. I'm
> one who gives a thumbs up to the NC other than the ****ty smiling Mazda
> corporate face (somebody really should be shot for that mess). But ya,
> the idea you have is wonderful. If Mazda wasn't so anal about rotary's
> being in RX's only and such, I'd die for the RX8 engine transplanted
> into the NC!
>
> A tech I met at an AZ dealership had plans to do the swap into his NB
> (iirc) but I don't know if he ever followed thru.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Agreed on the NC, I was just doing a dream Miata. In reality, my
ultimate Miata may be that 1995 model with a near-complete
engine/driveline/interior transplant from a 2005 MSM.

If that car somehow had a PRHT installed, and been painted black instead
of red, it would be close to perfect for me.

Not sure why the rotary has never really grabbed my attention. I know it
has awesome power and weight, which appeals to me, but I have never
seriously considered a car with a rotary, except for the 3rd gen. RX-7,
and that was never purchased because it was about $10,000.00 out of my
price range.

Pat
Old May 20th 10, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> A tech I met at an AZ dealership had plans to do the swap into his NB (iirc)
> but I don't know if he ever followed thru.

A few such conversions have been done, but the height of the rotary's
output shaft is a formidable challenge. A V-8 is probably easier.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old May 29th 10, 02:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
>
>> A tech I met at an AZ dealership had plans to do the swap into his NB
>> (iirc)
>> but I don't know if he ever followed thru.

> A few such conversions have been done, but the height of the rotary's
> output shaft is a formidable challenge. A V-8 is probably easier.
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

really! The output shaft, eh? If you know of any links to this project
actually being done, post um up for us please. I always just figured that
the compact size (of the rotary) would be simply wonderful under the hood of
a Miata, interesting!

cd