Questions on brake rotors

Old October 20th 07, 12:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kevin in Iowa

Default Questions on brake rotors

I am getting ready to do my front brakes on my 99XJ, the store lists
two different rotors for it, on is listed as full cast rotor, the
other is listed as a composite material? What is the difference, I
have 150k on the original, with them being turned about 75k ago, but
in ease of time I am going to replace them.

TIA

Kevin in Iowa

Old October 20th 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
twaldron[_6_]

Kevin in Iowa wrote:
> I am getting ready to do my front brakes on my 99XJ, the store lists
> two different rotors for it, on is listed as full cast rotor, the
> other is listed as a composite material? What is the difference, I
> have 150k on the original, with them being turned about 75k ago, but
> in ease of time I am going to replace them.
>
> TIA
>
> Kevin in Iowa

Composite rotors tend to warp and cause problems. I would avoid them.

tw
Old October 20th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_20_]

What is on there now? If you got 150k out of them, try to get the same
thing for a replacement. I am guessing cast, but you could take the old
ones to the store and tell them this is what you want for the second 150k.

Cheers,

Earle

ups.com...

Old October 21st 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kevin in Iowa

On Oct 20, 10:26 am, "Earle Horton" > wrote:
> What is on there now? If you got 150k out of them, try to get the same
> thing for a replacement. I am guessing cast, but you could take the old
> ones to the store and tell them this is what you want for the second 150k.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Earle
>
> "Kevin in Iowa" > wrote in oglegroups.com...
>
> > I am getting ready to do my front brakes on my 99XJ, the store lists
> > two different rotors for it, on is listed as full cast rotor, the
> > other is listed as a composite material? What is the difference, I
> > have 150k on the original, with them being turned about 75k ago, but
> > in ease of time I am going to replace them.

> > TIA

> > Kevin in Iowa

Still has the factory rotors on them, I am assuming full cast rotors,
I purchased a set
of Wagner Full cast rotors today, now if I can find my c clamp to
collapse the piston
in the caliper....

Old October 23rd 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Clap Trap

They are different sizes so they may not be interchangeable. I don't
recall which dimension is different. Seems like one is 3 1/16 tall, the
other is 3 3/16.

Old October 23rd 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
twaldron[_6_]

Kevin in Iowa wrote:

> Still has the factory rotors on them, I am assuming full cast rotors,
> I purchased a set
> of Wagner Full cast rotors today, now if I can find my c clamp to
> collapse the piston
> in the caliper....

I just use a pry bar of some kind, putting firm, steady pressure on the
pistons and they just push back in. Most likely you had factory
composite rotors and you were lucky to have no problems with them. Good
choice on the cast rotors.

tw