1998 Intrepid 2.7.

Old August 28th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Keith Phillips

Default 1998 Intrepid 2.7.

I have a small hole in the exhaust system . Its right behind the Catalytic
Convertor on the drivers side ina kind of flex pipe.
Midas suggest replacing the unit, cat converter,flex and pipe. That will
cost $750.
I cant see why I cant just get the flex pipe cut out and a new one clamped
or welded in place.
My regular mechanics advice was "just turn the radio up"

Keith

Old August 28th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Art[_1_]

Check their lifetime warranty. It is probably just on their cheap muffler.
Try someplace else.

.. .

Old August 28th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Duncan[_2_]

"Keith Phillips" > wrote in message
.. .
>I have a small hole in the exhaust system . Its right behind the Catalytic
>Convertor on the drivers side ina kind of flex pipe.
> Midas suggest replacing the unit, cat converter,flex and pipe. That will
> cost $750.
> I cant see why I cant just get the flex pipe cut out and a new one clamped
> or welded in place.
> My regular mechanics advice was "just turn the radio up"
>
> Keith

If it's a small hole, the size of a quarter or less, a good welder can 'fill
it'. I do it all the time. Option 2 is to cut the exhaust and put a sleeve
over the bad section (autozone sells a nice selection of exhaust sleeves.
Option 3 is to buy a 'muffler repair wrap' somewhere like autozone and just
wrap the thing up with the insulating rap/goop/screen/cramps that come in
the kit.... although cat convertor generate a lot of heat.

Of coarse Midas wants a fortune to fix it. Don't ever go to a place like
that, not even for an inspection. Go find one of the smalltown, out of the
way but not-so-far away liitle shops owned by the guy who does all the work
himself.

Old August 29th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy[_1_]

i replace the flex tubes all the timeon all sorts of vehicles. call around for
a shop that does custom exhaust work

Old September 27th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Jerry[_8_]

On Aug 28, 9:21 pm, philthy > wrote:
> i replace the flex tubes all the timeon all sorts of vehicles. call around for
> a shop that does custom exhaust work
>
> Keith Phillips wrote:
> > I have a small hole in the exhaust system . Its right behind the Catalytic
> > Convertor on the drivers side ina kind of flex pipe.
> > Midas suggest replacing the unit, cat converter,flex and pipe. That will
> > cost $750.
> > I cant see why I cant just get the flex pipe cut out and a new one clamped
> > or welded in place.
> > My regular mechanics advice was "just turn the radio up"

> > Keith

> > --

Go to a small exhaust shop in your area. I had Midas tell me the same
thing on my sons Escort, for $675 and I went to small shop locally
that replaced just the flex section with a generic one for $75
installed. Most smaller shops that do their own custom stuff or bend
their own tubes can do this for you.