2001 XJ Radio Access?

Old May 11th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
kokonutty

Default 2001 XJ Radio Access?

I'm sure there is probably an easy answer to this, but not sure enough
to just yank on the thing. I need to take out the radio from my 2001
Cherokee which is located in a center stack with the vents and heater/
AC controls. The mostly rectangular bezel around the front of the
whole thing is loose enough but has no visible fasteners. Please tell
me I don't have to move the console to get access to any screws.

Does that bezel (about 12-14 inches wide and 18-20 high) just pop out
if pulled in the right place? Where's the right place?

Thanks!

Old May 11th 07, 09:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

I guess your right, bezel just pops off. Remember to disconnect the
battery's ground first keep the radio from, locking up where you need a code
to get to work, and to keep the air bags from exploding:
http://www.billhughes.com/temp/XJradio.pdf
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

oups.com...

Old May 11th 07, 11:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Clap Trap

> Does that bezel (about 12-14 inches wide and 18-20 high) just pop out
> if pulled in the right place? Where's the right place?

If it's like my '99 model, yes - just pull on it and it pops right off.
Then two screws to remove the radio. Much easier than on the pre '97
models.
Old May 13th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
kokonutty

Thanks to you and Clap. Four spring clips near top, just outboard of
radio corners, came right off.

Now a radio question: Unit is an AM/FM/CD/Cassette; on the back there
are four connectors - antenna, ground, input and output (gray and
black). Next to the gray and black connectors is a white plug socket
about 3/4" x 1/4" that has two prongs in it. Is this an aux in or aux
out connector? Thanks...

Old May 13th 07, 06:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
kokonutty

After some googling, it looks like the extra plug is either for
steering wheel controls or a CD changer. If it is the changer, I
should be able to use this for an iPod or Sirius input to avoid using
FM mod, right?

Old May 13th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Clap Trap

Hmm - I'm interested in what you find out. I'd like to tie my iPod into
it as well. If you find out how to do it, please post info back here.

Old May 13th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

I didn't see anything other than the regular two plugs and the antenna:
http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/DCP-Wiring.pdf You may have an
aftermarket radio with auxiliary in puts.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

ups.com...

Old May 14th 07, 06:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
kokonutty

On May 13, 5:23 pm, "L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III" >
wrote:
> I didn't see anything other than the regular two plugs and the antenna:http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/DCP-Wiring.pdfYou may have an
> aftermarket radio with auxiliary in puts.
> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
> /

Nope. Factory RAZ, 4704383AH, to be precise. Pretty sure the extra
plug is for a changer as I'd think the steering wheel controls would
be part of the gray or black connectors - just trying to figure out if
all I need is a plug.

Old May 14th 07, 06:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
XS11E[_1_]

kokonutty > wrote:

> Nope. Factory RAZ, 4704383AH, to be precise. Pretty sure the
> extra plug is for a changer as I'd think the steering wheel
> controls would be part of the gray or black connectors - just
> trying to figure out if all I need is a plug.

It looks like it's the steering wheel control connector.

Check he

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHRYS...12778323QQrdZ1

Or:

http://tinyurl.com/yq9k7t

Scroll down and read the description and look at the pictures.