leaking roof

Old June 25th 10, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Domagoj Bagaric[_2_]

Default leaking roof

On 26.6.2010. 0:15, Frank Berger wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape

I wasn't far off
Old June 26th 10, 09:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bruno, Copenhagen - Denmark

Domagoj Bagaric wrote:
> On 26.6.2010. 0:15, Frank Berger wrote:
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape

> I wasn't far off

:-)

I was not the sure the name I knew was in common use but it turns out it
is. The Wiki Frank found describes what I have used.

I bought mine at a place that sells tools and materials for DIY home
improvement and I think it is commonly available in such places.
Old June 28th 10, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Christopher Muto" > wrote in message
news
> Domagoj Bagaric wrote:
> apply a patch to the underside of the top only. consider if the location
> of the patch may interact with parts that move when folding the top... the
> crossbows can catch on a patch and peel it off from normal operation... in
> some cases using a larger/oversized patch can eliminate this problem.

Very good point Chris, he needs to see if this patch is going to come in
(sliding) contact with rails and your over-sized patch (if need be) is also
a good one!

cd
99BBB

Old June 28th 10, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

My old (original, I think) top came apart at a couple seams before I got it.
I cleaned the areas real good with alcohol and adhered them both with
permatex high temperature black silicone and it has done a great job. One of
the has been holding for ~6yrs now and the other one had to be redone after
4~5 yrs (never leaked but I could see it was starting to open back up) and
has held great since. The contact cement sounds like a great idea too for
repairing a clean cut hole.

Chris
99BBB

Old June 28th 10, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Bruno, Copenhagen - Denmark" >>
> I must say actually making a hole in the roof in order to created a
> subject for posting is going above and beyond duty :-)
>

> Regards
> Bruno

DEDICATION baby, that's what that is ;-)

Thanks Domagoj! Keepin it going! lol

Chris
99BBB
Old June 28th 10, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Domagoj Bagaric[_2_]

Default leaking roof (PICS)

On 25.6.2010. 11:14, Domagoj Bagaric wrote:

> I have a small (1mmx3mm that's a pin head size for you non metric folk)
> hole on the roof. what's the best way to fix it without changing the
> whole thing?

here's from inside: http://bit.ly/cSPcUB
outside: http://bit.ly/b49Mpl

gonna get that cement this week (it's too sunny outside to worry about a
thing that I ain't using (the rag top))

cheers
Old June 28th 10, 07:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Domagoj Bagaric wrote:
> On 25.6.2010. 11:14, Domagoj Bagaric wrote:
>
>> I have a small (1mmx3mm that's a pin head size for you non metric folk)
>> hole on the roof. what's the best way to fix it without changing the
>> whole thing?

> here's from inside: http://bit.ly/cSPcUB
> outside: http://bit.ly/b49Mpl
>
> gonna get that cement this week (it's too sunny outside to worry about a
> thing that I ain't using (the rag top))
>
> cheers

That should fix up nicely. The repair on the inside will probably never
even be noticed after a day or two, and the one outside should also not
be that visible, (especially with the top down!)

Let us know how it goes. I am one who will stretch the last hour of use
out of a convertible top.

Good luck!

Pat
Old June 29th 10, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Domagoj Bagaric wrote:
> On 25.6.2010. 11:14, Domagoj Bagaric wrote:
>
>> I have a small (1mmx3mm that's a pin head size for you non metric folk)
>> hole on the roof. what's the best way to fix it without changing the
>> whole thing?

> here's from inside: http://bit.ly/cSPcUB
> outside: http://bit.ly/b49Mpl
>
> gonna get that cement this week (it's too sunny outside to worry about a
> thing that I ain't using (the rag top))
>
> cheers

is this a nb top? i see the deck seam on the underside but don't
recognize the slightly different colored stitched fabric on the
underside. looks like the bow rubbing on the underside has created this
problem... that is if this is a non-zip folding top like the nb has. if
that is the case, that the box moves against the top when folding then
despite it being a small hole you may want to use a large patch on the
underside that extends from the bow that is attached to the top all the
way over and past the box that moves when folding as the rest of that
area is probably very thin as well... and i don't think i would touch
the top side with that permatex vinyl filler as it is such a small hole
an using the vinyl filler on the top side is destined to be noticeable.
i was able to find some waterproof fabric at a marine shop that makes
for good patch material. or you could try a top repair shop for a scrap
piece from tops they are discarding. good luck.
Old June 29th 10, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Christopher Muto wrote:
> Domagoj Bagaric wrote:
>> On 25.6.2010. 11:14, Domagoj Bagaric wrote:
>>
>>> I have a small (1mmx3mm that's a pin head size for you non metric folk)
>>> hole on the roof. what's the best way to fix it without changing the
>>> whole thing?

>> here's from inside: http://bit.ly/cSPcUB
>> outside: http://bit.ly/b49Mpl
>>
>> gonna get that cement this week (it's too sunny outside to worry about
>> a thing that I ain't using (the rag top))
>>
>> cheers

> is this a nb top? i see the deck seam on the underside but don't
> recognize the slightly different colored stitched fabric on the
> underside. looks like the bow rubbing on the underside has created this
> problem... that is if this is a non-zip folding top like the nb has. if
> that is the case, that the box moves against the top when folding then
> despite it being a small hole you may want to use a large patch on the
> underside that extends from the bow that is attached to the top all the
> way over and past the box that moves when folding as the rest of that
> area is probably very thin as well... and i don't think i would touch
> the top side with that permatex vinyl filler as it is such a small hole
> an using the vinyl filler on the top side is destined to be noticeable.
> i was able to find some waterproof fabric at a marine shop that makes
> for good patch material. or you could try a top repair shop for a scrap
> piece from tops they are discarding. good luck.

box should read bow...

Couldn't put the roof on, '88 Supra Sport Roof Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B Technology 0 July 14th 07 08:32 PM
69 Mach1 roof oil cans. Is there supposed to be a roof bow in it? Dan[_3_] Ford Mustang 2 October 25th 06 02:06 AM
M2 top/leaking help!!! josh Mazda 17 November 11th 04 02:02 PM
1994 Saturn SL1 Leaking Sun roof moon roof frederickiniguez Saturn 2 July 19th 04 05:11 PM
Leaking Spider & it's not the roof. David Rees Alfa Romeo 0 May 28th 04 10:43 PM