Driver decapitated by seatbelt in minor accident

Old June 27th 05, 03:06 PM
Harry K

Default Driver decapitated by seatbelt in minor accident

wrote:
> From : Garth
> Date: 05-26-05 01:27
>
> I survived three accidents because of not wearing a seat belt or I
> would have been killed at least in Two of them. A woman trying to
> committ suiside was the only survivor out seven and the only one not
> wearing a seatbelt. Two girls killed ran off of road hit tree wearing
> seatbelts. 17 yr old survived thrown from van, steering collumn drove
> through drivers seat. Family of four killed in over turned vehicle
> hanging from seatbelts. Driver decapitated by seatbelt in minor
> accident. lady survives accident due to not wearing seatbelt minor
> injuries, drivers door was pushed over half way across car.
> Yes seatbelts save life and seatbelts also cost life.

http://www.philipkdickfans.com/forum...?f=5&i=35&t=35

Sure you did. Anyone who has had 3 accidents needs to learn how to
drive. As to the rest of your drivel. Over how many years and area
did you have to go to harvest all those examples. Yes seat belts do
sometimes cost life. It is rare, very rare and getting rarer. They
save far more lives than they cost.

With your attitude, please don't breed.

Harry K

Old June 27th 05, 04:02 PM
Dan J.S.

> wrote in message
> From : Garth
> Date: 05-26-05 01:27
>
> I survived three accidents because of not wearing a seat belt or I
> would have been killed at least in Two of them. A woman trying to
> committ suiside was the only survivor out seven and the only one not
> wearing a seatbelt. Two girls killed ran off of road hit tree wearing
> seatbelts. 17 yr old survived thrown from van, steering collumn drove
> through drivers seat. Family of four killed in over turned vehicle
> hanging from seatbelts. Driver decapitated by seatbelt in minor
> accident. lady survives accident due to not wearing seatbelt minor
> injuries, drivers door was pushed over half way across car.
> Yes seatbelts save life and seatbelts also cost life.
>
> http://www.philipkdickfans.com/forum...?f=5&i=35&t=35

We still very much appreciate that the government is making sure we wear our
seatbelt. I mean, how else would we be safe if not for the government fining
us to wear them! We need more laws!

Old June 27th 05, 04:17 PM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

Dan J.S. wrote:

> We still very much appreciate that the government is making sure we wear our
> seatbelt. I mean, how else would we be safe if not for the government fining
> us to wear them! We need more laws!

If you don't wear a belt, then i suggest you put a sign on your car
saying - "In event of crash, driver requests that no taxpayer funds be
spent on his rescue."

Old June 27th 05, 05:11 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

>Over how many years and area did you have to
> go to harvest all those examples.

Probably a lot more than one would have to cover in order to find a
greater number of anecdotes in which people *not* buckled up were
killed by ejection from a survivably intact passenger compartment. I
hear about that several times a year just in the metro area where I
live.

I've seen ejection kill twice, personally, never mind all the times
I've read about it in the papers. One was killed by flying into the
ditch at highway speeds without benefit of car and one by being under
the vehicle when it quit rolling up the hillside and flopped back down.
Judging from the condition of the vehicles and of the people who
were strapped in, it's easy to imagine that they'd have gotten away
with overnight observation in the hospital had they not been flung from
the vehicle.

I've also seen some pretty heavily wadded-up cars that were cut open to
extract a live driver, thanks in large part to seat belts.

I also submit that accidents in which someone *appears* to have died
because of a seat belt usually bear more investigation -- there are
some car accidents that would have been hard to survive under any
circumstances.

Note also that in the majority of crashes that are NOT high-energy
wipeouts, your seat belt and shoulder harness prevent you from getting
flung violently around the passenger compartment and therefore you get
minor injuries or none at all rather than major ones or death.

I'll take the very good odds of NOT eating the windshield or being
squashed by my own car over the freakishly small odds of entrapment,
thank you very much.

Cheers,
--Joe

Old June 27th 05, 05:43 PM
Dan J.S.

"Laura Bush murdered her boy friend" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dan J.S. wrote:
>>
>> We still very much appreciate that the government is making sure we wear
>> our
>> seatbelt. I mean, how else would we be safe if not for the government
>> fining
>> us to wear them! We need more laws!

> If you don't wear a belt, then i suggest you put a sign on your car
> saying - "In event of crash, driver requests that no taxpayer funds be
> spent on his rescue."

Where did I say I am not wearing a seatbelt? I just said that I am happy
that big brother holds our hand like this. When are the laws on what toilet
paper I need to use? Because there is probably some correlation between the
taxpayer and not wiping your ass with the gritty paper.

Old June 27th 05, 11:02 PM

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
> Dan J.S. wrote:
> >
> > We still very much appreciate that the government is making sure we wear our
> > seatbelt. I mean, how else would we be safe if not for the government fining
> > us to wear them! We need more laws!

> If you don't wear a belt, then i suggest you put a sign on your car
> saying - "In event of crash, driver requests that no taxpayer funds be
> spent on his rescue."

Like so many other things, the concept of "sarcasm" is *way* beyond
your grasp. Perhaps you can get the government to teach you how it
works?

Old June 28th 05, 02:29 AM

Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:
> >Over how many years and area did you have to
> > go to harvest all those examples.

> Probably a lot more than one would have to cover in order to find a
> greater number of anecdotes in which people *not* buckled up were
> killed by ejection from a survivably intact passenger compartment. I
> hear about that several times a year just in the metro area where I
> live.
>
> I've seen ejection kill twice, personally, never mind all the times
> I've read about it in the papers. One was killed by flying into the

Hey, if people want to drive around without their seat belts, let 'em.
The world is overpopulated as it is.

Old June 28th 05, 06:52 PM
Robert Briggs

Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:

> I also submit that accidents in which someone *appears* to have died
> because of a seat belt usually bear more investigation -- there are
> some car accidents that would have been hard to survive under any
> circumstances.

I strongly suspect that there are also cases where *incorrect* use of
the seat belt is a significant factor in causing injury or death.

In the days before inertia reel belts it was *very* easy to wear a belt
uselessly - even harmfully - slack.

A properly fitted lap strap is designed to hold the plevis securely to
the seat; a slack one can cause all sorts of internal abdominal injuries
in a crash.

Similarly, the chest strap is intended to hold the shoulder in place,
rather than strangle its user.

Full racing harnesses are a tad over the top for most road cars, where
the person occupying any particular seat may be a significantly
different size from one journey to the next, but thought should be given
to proper use of any available adjustments (such as the height of the
shoulder mounting in some cars) and especially to appropriate use of
child seats and booster cushions.

When I first took a friend and her young daughter on a trip in my
present car they brought a booster cushion. I checked its instructions
and fitted it as directed (which, remarkably enough, is how I would have
fitted it in the absence of any instructions). For some reason, the
mother thought I had got it wrong, and altered it - but the lass knew
better and agreed with the vehicle commander, so it was altered back.
Old June 30th 05, 02:04 AM
Sir Lex

> From : Garth
> Date: 05-26-05 01:27
>
> I survived three accidents because of not wearing a seat belt or I
> would have been killed at least in Two of them. A woman trying to
> committ suiside was the only survivor out seven and the only one not
> wearing a seatbelt. Two girls killed ran off of road hit tree wearing
> seatbelts. 17 yr old survived thrown from van, steering collumn drove
> through drivers seat. Family of four killed in over turned vehicle
> hanging from seatbelts. Driver decapitated by seatbelt in minor
> accident. lady survives accident due to not wearing seatbelt minor
> injuries, drivers door was pushed over half way across car.
> Yes seatbelts save life and seatbelts also cost life.

http://www.philipkdickfans.com/forum...?f=5&i=35&t=35

If you've had three accidents that were that serious, then perhaps you
shouldn't be on the road.

In Australia over 90% of people wear their seat belts correctly, a small
percentage wear their belts incorrectly but still wear them, and a
minority don't wear them at all (<4%). It has been compulsory to wear
belts here for decades.

People who don't wear seat belts represent between 23% and 47% of
fatalities depending on which state or territory you look at. When <4%
of the driving population are represented in 23 - 47% of fatalities each
year, that's got to be an indication that seat belts are generally safer
don't you think?

Here is one source for my claim:
<http://www.monash.edu.au/muarc/reports/muarc198.html>

I'll be happy to post more sources as I find them. I would be delighted
to see some *feasible* statistics for the claim that seat belts are
dangerous. Care to share any?

Here's a few links to **** you off.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...ds/pinball.mp3 (500k)
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...ads/father.mpg (5MB)
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...oads/fight.mpg (5MB)

Regards,
--
SL

"The essence of propaganda consists in winning people over
to an idea so sincerely, so vitally, that in the end they
succumb to it utterly and can never again escape from it"

Joseph Goebbels - Nazi Minister of Propaganda, 1933 - 1945