156 Sportswagon AutoStereo

Old June 26th 05, 01:48 PM
Mike Johnson

Default 156 Sportswagon AutoStereo

Hi

Does a standard autostereo fit into the front (eg. Pioneer) in the
new 156 (with facelift) ?

TIA

MJ
Old June 26th 05, 03:46 PM
simon

yes - but you need an adapter plate to close up the gaps around a standard
size headunit.
You'll probably loose steering wheel controls - but if you buy a blaupunkt
stereo you can get a blaupunkt adapter cable that restores the functions
(don't know if the blaupunkt adapter works with other stereos)
SS

Old June 26th 05, 11:33 PM
Mike Johnson

Cool.

But Pioneer has something called ISO connector and as I understand
that will make it possible to connect the stereo to the panel on the
dashboard (but I'm not 100% sure) so you see the info on the display.
Can you confirm that ?

TIA

MJ

Old June 27th 05, 06:51 AM
Catman

Mike Johnson wrote:

> Cool.
>
> But Pioneer has something called ISO connector and as I understand
> that will make it possible to connect the stereo to the panel on the
> dashboard (but I'm not 100% sure) so you see the info on the display.
> Can you confirm that ?

It seems very unlikley. Nearly all (certainly all that I've ver fitted)
stereos have ISO connectors. It's only a standard shped set of plugs for
power and speaker connections. There may be a set of extensions that can
handle data to an external display, but I've netiehr seen nor heard of it.

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old June 27th 05, 06:53 AM
simon

not sure...
to be honest I bought a Blaupunkt headunit and adapter cable and have never
got round to fitting the adapter cable..

SS

Old June 27th 05, 07:02 PM
Mike Johnson

:-(

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 05:51:17 +0000, Catman

Old June 28th 05, 05:58 PM
GT

Physically, it will fit perfectly. I just put a new JVC unit in my 156, but
have had problems. If you have a Bose system, then you can't just plug in a
new stereo - yes the car has an ISO connector and the new stereo powers up
and appears to work, but no sound! The Bose system is more than just a
different speaker system - there is an extra amp in there too. You need to
by-pass the extra amplifier switch or you get nothing. The man at halfords
just sorted mine out in 10 minutes - you just need to know which 2 wires to
switch / by-pass!

The computer system at halfords didn't know about the extra amp. The
servicing man at the alfa garage didn't know about the extra amp. They all
told me a standard ISO connector (any after market stereo) would work, but
they don't!!

I bought an mp3 JVC head unit that is "steering remote ready", but I can't
find an adapter anywhere on the internet!
Any ideas for a steering wheel, JVC - Alfa adapter anyone? Autoleads draw a
blank!

GT

Old June 28th 05, 10:50 PM
simon

I'm not sure why the blaupunkt one wouldn't work to be honest...

but then again...given that the OEM headunit is a blaupunkt I'm not sure why
you should need the adapter...but you do...

The black box on the adapter has a row of dipswitches on it....maybe
experimenting with positions might make it work with a JVC....

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/install/alfa.asp

Old June 29th 05, 10:22 AM
GT

The JVC has a 3.5mm jack as its connector, so I definitely need some kind of
adapter. I can't pull the wiring out far enough to find the dip switches -
they must be buried behind the dash somewhere. The new head unit is in place
now and while it would be nice to get the steering wheen buttons working, it
doesn't really matter - a 'nice to have'. I'll keep looking on the web for a
connector, but autoleads don't have anything so I don't think I'll find
anything! I might write to JVC or Alfa if I can be bothered!