New Accord Initial Oil Change Interval

Old January 17th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul.

Default New Accord Initial Oil Change Interval

Well, I bought an '07 Accord and am getting nervous (anxious) about the
first oil change. For a new car, I normally change the oil at 1,500 miles,
3,000 miles and every 3,000 miles thereafter.

With my Accord, the Engine Oil Life indicator show 70% life remaining with
2,300 miles on the original oil. That works out to be a first oil change at
approximately 7,700 miles!! I know the owners manual say "do not change the
oil until the scheduled maintenance time" as part of engine break-in, but
that's a long time for the first oil change. I am a easy driver on the
engine and the weather here in Phoenix is mild, but I looking for some
reassurance that the computer monitored oil change interval is appropriate.

The oil is still clean and amber colored on the dip stick.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Paul.
Phoenix, AZ

Old January 17th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Paul." > wrote in
:

> Well, I bought an '07 Accord and am getting nervous (anxious) about
> the first oil change. For a new car, I normally change the oil at
> 1,500 miles, 3,000 miles and every 3,000 miles thereafter.
>
> With my Accord, the Engine Oil Life indicator show 70% life remaining
> with 2,300 miles on the original oil. That works out to be a first
> oil change at approximately 7,700 miles!! I know the owners manual
> say "do not change the oil until the scheduled maintenance time" as
> part of engine break-in, but that's a long time for the first oil
> change. I am a easy driver on the engine and the weather here in
> Phoenix is mild, but I looking for some reassurance that the computer
> monitored oil change interval is appropriate.
>
> The oil is still clean and amber colored on the dip stick.

Leave it alone. Do *not* change it too early.

However, keep an eye on the level, and make sure it doesn't get near the
"low" mark on the stick. Top up if necessary with any name-brand
non-synthetic oil.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old January 17th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
MishaA[_48_]

Quote from Honda website:

> *Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?*
>
> [image:
> https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/images...onwht.gif]Your
> Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for
> new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns
> and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.
>
> [image:
> https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/images...t.gif]American
> Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long
> enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first
> maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your
> specific driving conditions.

So leave it alone, as Tegger said.
On a side note, the whole 3000K oil change thing maybe valid for
American domestic cars, but the whole World just follows manufacturer
recommended intervals and lives happy :iceslolan

--
MishaA
MishaA's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=469060

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old January 17th 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
zonie

I would not change the oil untill the monitor says to. cars,engines and
oils are not like they used to be. I wish my '04 accord had that system.
Look at the money you will save and your car will still last a lomg time.
I have an '07 Colorado I drive for my company here in Phoenix, It has a
system like yours , It went 10,420 on first oil. Now has 17,050 and
waiting for indicator again . Scott

Old January 17th 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ACAR

Paul. wrote:
> Well, I bought an '07 Accord and am getting nervous (anxious) about the
> first oil change. For a new car, I normally change the oil at 1,500 miles,
> 3,000 miles and every 3,000 miles thereafter.

You can do a little research via the Bob Is The Oil Guy web site.
The Honda factory fill is a quality motor oil with additional
molybdenum (moly). Nothing very special. However, oil analysis from
early oil changes of the factory fill show none of the dreaded new
engine debris or excessive wear indicators. Clearly, Honda wants their
more OC owners to lay off the synthetic oil until the engine is broken
in (at least 5000 miles for my Accord - the severe service interval).
Oil analysis shows that the factory fill is perfectly fine and
excessive wear does not occur during the first several thousand miles.

Oil analysis also shows that 10,000 miles on ordinary oil is usually
way too long so those oil change indicator (idiot) lights may not be
the best guide to engine longevity.

YMMV

Old January 17th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Kenneth J. Harris

In my opinion, not changing the original oil until the factory
recommended interval(either mileage or engine oil life indicator)is a
good idea. After the first change, it certainly cannot hurt if you
change it according to a mileage interval such as 3-4000, even if that's
before the oil life indicator says to. But for non-synthetic oils I
would be leary of increasing the interval too much even if the indicator
doesn't say a change is "needed" yet. I mean it's your car--you make
the ultimate decision, not the car's indicator module.

Ken

Old January 18th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul.

Thanks to all that responded. I appreciate your thoughts and will trust the
engine oil life indicator.

Paul.

Old January 20th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TomP[_1_]

Change the oil once a year or as the maintenance minder indicates. And, you're
good to go.

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Old April 17th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gargon

I am at 32000 and change and my indicator is at 50% myself, was leery
when I first thought it would be due for a change at about 3-4,000.
Read through the owners manual in depth one day and they urge you to
use Honda oil and to go by the indicator, but of course if the
indicator doesnt match what you see out the dipstick its wuld be time
to re-analyze the situation.

--
Gargon
Gargon's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=509135

Old April 17th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe LaVigne

Gargon wrote:

> I am at 32000 and change and my indicator is at 50% myself, was leery
> when I first thought it would be due for a change at about 3-4,000.
> Read through the owners manual in depth one day and they urge you to
> use Honda oil and to go by the indicator, but of course if the
> indicator doesnt match what you see out the dipstick its wuld be time
> to re-analyze the situation.

If you are at 32000 miles, you are way overdue for an oil change...