Tires for '03 Mountaineer (Explorer)

Old October 19th 05, 07:24 PM
D.D. Pallmer

Default Tires for '03 Mountaineer (Explorer)

My '03 Mountaineer is going to need it's 3rd set of tires soon...probably at
about 45,000 miles or maybe 48,000. They came with the Goodrich tires
(lasted 23000 miles) and I replaced them with the same. Here in tough, hilly
(stop hard and start hard) city driving of Pittsburgh 23000 isn't bad but
30,000 would be closer to average. I got 50,000 out of a set of Michelin LC
XT4 (Sears/NTB version) tires on my old 1999 Explorer. That experience made
me realize that cost-per-mile the Michelins were probably slightly cheaper,
even though the cost per tire was about double (you save the labor and
nusance fees for 1 cycle as you twice as long between cycles).

So I was at NTB again today for something else and was looking at tires. I
noticed that there are TWO versions of Michelins for SUVs...the
"Cross-Terrain" (which I think I also saw on some new Mountaineers on the
dealer lot) and the LTX-MS. They no longer carry the LC XT4 tire because
that was a Sears version and NTB got sold by Sears. I seem to recall,
however, that LTX-MS and LC XT4 were essentially the same tire.

So my obvious question is: What's the difference (ride, longevity, price,
other) between the two Michelins? And are both available in my size
(standard 17 inch somethingorother Mountaineer factory wheels)?

Any other tire suggestions would be appreciated too. I am figuring on
keeping the vehicle another 50,000 (unless I get the itch).

Old October 19th 05, 08:40 PM
Happy Traveler

Can't say a word about the LTX, but have now put 58,000 miles on my set of
Cross-Terrains. Handling is good, wet and snow traction is excellent, road
noise is so-so. Modern tires are typically not tread wear limited, but
ignoring that for a moment, there seem to be about 15,000 miles still left
in mine. And by the way, 1-1/2 year ago I moved to a fairly steep area.

Old October 20th 05, 02:06 AM
Jim Warman

My personal experience is with the LTX M/S (or should I say my
preference). Very good tread life, the tread self cleans very well i snow
and mud. They are more than quiet enough on my SuperCrew and were just as
good (as I recall) on my 93 SuperCab...

Either is likely a very good choice...

Old October 20th 05, 12:07 PM
D.D. Pallmer

Thanks for the recommendation. I am still curious about the DIFFERENCE that
no one here explained.

Old October 20th 05, 03:59 PM
Steven Hilgendorf

Try here for Michelin differences:

http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/index_5.html

Steven

Old October 20th 05, 04:20 PM

Steven Hilgendorf wrote:
> Try here for Michelin differences:
>
> http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/index_5.html
>
> Steven

Good stuff!
-Paul

Old October 22nd 05, 10:37 PM
Big Shoe

If you have a Costco in your area, check there. They carry a special
designated Michelin, not sure if it is the same as the old Sears one.

Old November 22nd 05, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

> If you have a Costco in your area, check there. They carry a special
> designated Michelin, not sure if it is the same as the old Sears one.

I bought my Cross Terrains from Costco... they are not a special "Costco"
designated tire. They were the warranty replacement tires declared by Ford
for Explorers after the Bridgestone fiasco. The X-Terrains were much
quieter than the previous Dunlop Radial Rovers on my truck. Look for the
$60 off sale on the purchase of four tires they have every couple of months.
Costco has a great warranty.
reply address bot resistant and human safe