Transmission fluid avalibility

Old July 9th 04, 06:48 AM
Alan W. Blackmon

Default Transmission fluid avalibility

I want to change the transmission fluid on our 2000 Grand Caravan. Where
can I buy the ATF-4 fluid? All I can find at the local auto stores if
ATF-3. The users manual states I need the ATF-4.

I want to change fluid, warm up and change again. One auto parts place said
the transmission shops were using Valvoline max life transmission fluid in
the Caravans. Is this a alternative I should avoid, or go ahead with. Also
NAPA is selling an additive for ATF-3 to modify it to 4. My Dodge users
manual recomends against additives, so I am shy to take that route.

What have other do it yourselfers done when it comes to changing
transmission fluids in your Caravans, and if you can get ATF-4 what was your
source other than pricey dealership? My van is four years old. Is Dodge
still holding onto being the only distributor for ATF-4?

Alan in Boise

Old July 9th 04, 07:20 AM
Alan W. Blackmon

ATF-4 should read ATF+4. My goof. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Alan in Boise

Old July 9th 04, 07:20 AM
Alan W. Blackmon

Old July 9th 04, 02:25 PM
GUNBUNNY31

"Alan W. Blackmon" > wrote in message >...
> ATF-4 should read ATF+4. My goof. Thanks for any help you can offer.
>
> Alan in Boise

ATF+4 is the only thing to be putting back into the transmission. DO
NOT REPLACE WITH ANYTHING ELSE!
you will burn your trans up. Chrysler has been taking samples of oil
in all of the waranty repairs and charging back 100% of of with
anything other ATF+4 in them.
You own the transmission, do what you want, but I would recomend that
you go buy the ATF+4. Its cheaper than buying a new transmission.
Chrysler builds cars, they don't make oil, so they are getting it from
somewhere.
By the way, Slippy Lube and Valvoline had had to replace or cover
repairs to peoples trany's due to the wrong fluid in them lately. We
did 5 or 6 of them in the past few months.
Old July 9th 04, 02:25 PM
GUNBUNNY31

Old July 9th 04, 04:07 PM
HachiRoku

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Alan W. Blackmon wrote:

> I want to change the transmission fluid on our 2000 Grand Caravan. Where
> can I buy the ATF-4 fluid? All I can find at the local auto stores if
> ATF-3. The users manual states I need the ATF-4.
>
> I want to change fluid, warm up and change again. One auto parts place said
> the transmission shops were using Valvoline max life transmission fluid in
> the Caravans. Is this a alternative I should avoid, or go ahead with. Also
> NAPA is selling an additive for ATF-3 to modify it to 4. My Dodge users
> manual recomends against additives, so I am shy to take that route.
>
> What have other do it yourselfers done when it comes to changing
> transmission fluids in your Caravans, and if you can get ATF-4 what was your
> source other than pricey dealership? My van is four years old. Is Dodge
> still holding onto being the only distributor for ATF-4?
>
> Alan in Boise

CarQuest....
Old July 9th 04, 04:07 PM
HachiRoku

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Alan W. Blackmon wrote:

> I want to change the transmission fluid on our 2000 Grand Caravan. Where
> can I buy the ATF-4 fluid? All I can find at the local auto stores if
> ATF-3. The users manual states I need the ATF-4.
>
> I want to change fluid, warm up and change again. One auto parts place said
> the transmission shops were using Valvoline max life transmission fluid in
> the Caravans. Is this a alternative I should avoid, or go ahead with. Also
> NAPA is selling an additive for ATF-3 to modify it to 4. My Dodge users
> manual recomends against additives, so I am shy to take that route.
>
> What have other do it yourselfers done when it comes to changing
> transmission fluids in your Caravans, and if you can get ATF-4 what was your
> source other than pricey dealership? My van is four years old. Is Dodge
> still holding onto being the only distributor for ATF-4?
>
> Alan in Boise

CarQuest....
Old July 9th 04, 07:01 PM
GUNBUNNY31

Right from the Chrysler Service Manual.

STANDARD PROCEDURE - FLUID AND FILTER SERVICE
NOTE: Refer to the maintenance schedules in LUBRICATION and
MAINTENANCE, or the vehicle owner's manual, for the recommended
maintenance (fluid/filter change) intervals for this transaxle.

NOTE: Only transmission fluid of the type labeled Mopar ATF+4
(Automatic Transmission Fluid–Type 9602) should be used in this
transaxle.

NOTE: Only fluids of the type labeled Mopar® ATF+4 (Automatic
Transmission Fluid) Type 9602 should be used. A filter change should
be made at the time of the transmission oil change. The magnet (on the
inside of the oil pan) should also be cleaned with a clean, dry cloth.

NOTE: If the transaxle is disassembled for any reason, the fluid and
filter should be changed.

FLUID/FILTER SERVICE (RECOMMENDED)
Raise vehicle on a hoist. Refer to LUBRICATION and MAINTENANCE for
proper procedures. Place a drain container with a large opening, under
transaxle oil pan.
Loosen pan bolts and tap the pan at one corner to break it loose
allowing fluid to drain, then remove the oil pan.
Install a new filter and o-ring on bottom of the valve body (Filter
and O-Ring).
Clean the oil pan and magnet. Reinstall pan using new Mopar Silicone
Adhesive sealant. Tighten oil pan bolts to 19 N·m (165 in. lbs.).
Pour four quarts of Mopar® ATF+4 (Automatic Transmission Fluid) Type
9602 through the dipstick opening.
Start engine and allow to idle for at least one minute. Then, with
parking and service brakes applied, move selector lever momentarily to
each position, ending in the park or neutral position.
Check the transaxle fluid level and add an appropriate amount to bring
the transaxle fluid level to 3mm (1/8 in.) below the lowest mark on
the dipstick (Transaxle Fluid Level Indicator).
Recheck the fluid level after the transaxle has reached normal
operating temperature (180°F.). Refer to Fluid Level and Condition
Check for the proper fluid fill procedure.
To prevent dirt from entering transaxle, make certain that dipstick is
fully seated into the dipstick opening.
DIPSTICK TUBE FLUID SUCTION METHOD (ALTERNATIVE)
When performing the fluid suction method, make sure the transaxle is
at full operating temperature.
To perform the dipstick tube fluid suction method, use a suitable
fluid suction device (Vacula™ or equivalent).
Insert the fluid suction line into the dipstick tube.
NOTE: Verify that the suction line is inserted to the lowest point of
the transaxle oil pan. This will ensure complete evacuation of the
fluid in the pan.

Follow the manufacturers recommended procedure and evacuate the fluid
from the transaxle.
Remove the suction line from the dipstick tube.
Pour four quarts of Mopar® ATF+4 (Automatic Transmission Fluid) Type
9602 through the dipstick opening.
Start engine and allow to idle for at least one minute. Then, with
parking and service brakes applied, move selector lever momentarily to
each position, ending in the park or neutral position.
Check the transaxle fluid level and add an appropriate amount to bring
the transaxle fluid level to 3mm (1/8 in.) below the lowest mark on
the dipstick (Transaxle Fluid Level Indicator).
Recheck the fluid level after the transaxle has reached normal
operating temperature (180°F.). (Refer to 21 -
TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 41TE/FLUID - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

Old July 9th 04, 11:39 PM
Alan W. Blackmon

Thanks for all the input. I was wanting to replace the fluid with the ATF+4
but was hoping for alternative to dealer. When I checked on the price of
the fluid from the local dealer the guy behind the counter was saying the
transaxel needed more fluid than what Gunbunny31 says the manual recomended.
Now at least I know the cost is much less than the parts guy was saying it
would cost.

I appreciate the bonus reply giving instructions to replacing the fluid I
have done this job many times on other vehicles but having instructions for
especially for the Caravan is appreciated greatly. Thanks Gunbunny31 for
that help.

I have gone in to several shops to get oil changes, and have come down to
just doing these jobs myself. My dad taught me how and several manuals for
various cars I have owned. I enjoy doing this work and the few times I have
taken vehicles into shops for oil changes has resulted in botched jobs more
than once by these various shops. So I just feel to get it done right, do
it myself.

Again, thanks.