What are "glazed brakes"?

Old November 12th 04, 04:53 PM
John

Default What are "glazed brakes"?

I have a 2001 Grand Caravan.
Last December I paid the dealer $400 for new rear brakes.
Last April the brakes were squealing, and he adjusted them at no charge.
Now they are squealing again. This time he says there is a glaze on them
that will not come off with emery paper and he wants $300 to resurface them.

I asked him what a glaze was. He admitted he had no idea, but it was there
and had to be ground off.

Sounds like BS to me; a mysterious glaze forms new brakes that he installed,
that requires grinding.

But then, I don't know anything about brakes. Any thoughts on the liklihood
of this being real?

Old November 12th 04, 08:41 PM
Dan

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:53:35 GMT, "John" > wrote:

>I have a 2001 Grand Caravan.
>Last December I paid the dealer $400 for new rear brakes.
>Last April the brakes were squealing, and he adjusted them at no charge.
>Now they are squealing again. This time he says there is a glaze on them
>that will not come off with emery paper and he wants $300 to resurface them.
>
>I asked him what a glaze was. He admitted he had no idea, but it was there
>and had to be ground off.
>
>Sounds like BS to me; a mysterious glaze forms new brakes that he installed,
>that requires grinding.
>
>But then, I don't know anything about brakes. Any thoughts on the liklihood
>of this being real?

Disk brake pads do sometimes develop a glaze which causes squeaking,
etc. IIRC, heat can sometimes form a glaze on the surface of ceramic
brake pads. In layman's terms, the glaze is like a layer of glass,
formed out of the ceramic material in the pad.

But $300 to fix this sounds way too high. I have had this done
before. All they did was pull the pads out of the caliper and buff
the glazed surface with a wire brush wheel on a bench grinder.
Perhaps your mechanic also wants to turn the rotors, or perform some
other work, as well. Ask if this includes turning the rotors, or
what.

If you can live with the squeaking, I don't think it will necessarily
hurt the brakes to drive on glazed pads. You might also try making
several runs in reverse, and then hitting the brakes pretty hard.
Sometimes this would quiet my brakes for a few weeks when the pads got
squeaky.
Old November 12th 04, 08:41 PM
Dan

Old November 12th 04, 09:27 PM
John

"Dan" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:53:35 GMT, "John" > wrote:
>
> >I have a 2001 Grand Caravan.
> >Last December I paid the dealer $400 for new rear brakes.
> >Last April the brakes were squealing, and he adjusted them at no charge.
> >Now they are squealing again. This time he says there is a glaze on them
> >that will not come off with emery paper and he wants $300 to resurface

them.

> >I asked him what a glaze was. He admitted he had no idea, but it was

there
> >and had to be ground off.
> >
> >Sounds like BS to me; a mysterious glaze forms new brakes that he

installed,
> >that requires grinding.
> >
> >But then, I don't know anything about brakes. Any thoughts on the

liklihood
> >of this being real?
> >

> Disk brake pads do sometimes develop a glaze which causes squeaking,
> etc. IIRC, heat can sometimes form a glaze on the surface of ceramic
> brake pads. In layman's terms, the glaze is like a layer of glass,
> formed out of the ceramic material in the pad.
>
> But $300 to fix this sounds way too high. I have had this done
> before. All they did was pull the pads out of the caliper and buff
> the glazed surface with a wire brush wheel on a bench grinder.
> Perhaps your mechanic also wants to turn the rotors, or perform some
> other work, as well. Ask if this includes turning the rotors, or
> what.
>
> If you can live with the squeaking, I don't think it will necessarily
> hurt the brakes to drive on glazed pads. You might also try making
> several runs in reverse, and then hitting the brakes pretty hard.
> Sometimes this would quiet my brakes for a few weeks when the pads got
> squeaky.

Actually it was the drums and rotors (they now claim all the brakes are
glazed) that are glazed. The pads are fine.

Old November 12th 04, 09:27 PM
John

Old November 13th 04, 04:00 AM
Big Poppa Pump

Go find a new mechanic, this ones taking you for a ride at your cost.

Old November 13th 04, 04:00 AM
Big Poppa Pump

Old November 13th 04, 04:52 AM
55chevy210

I agree with Big Poppa Pump. run screaming from this mechanic. you
probably only need some anti-squeal spray applied to the pads or some minor
adjustment done. If your rotors are smooth and show no signs of roughness
then they are probably good. If, when you step on your brakes while moving
at a higher than normal speed, and the steering wheel vibrates, your rotors
need turning. If the squeal is coming from the rear you probably require
new front pads. I know that sounds weird but the front does 80% of the
work. If they are down then the rear will do more work than they were
designed for and will squeal and glaze over. The front pads always glaze
over due to intense heat.

go to a mechanic that has a clue and won't rip you off if you can find one.
whatever you do - stay away from the franchise places.

Old November 13th 04, 04:52 AM
55chevy210

Old November 13th 04, 12:29 PM
maxpower

depending on what kind of linnings were installed also, if you have a cheap
set with a high content of metal in them, they will screak, if the edges
arent chamfered, they will screak also, especially in the mornign or wet
hummid days
Glenn beasley
Chrysler Tech

Brakes. Again ian Audi 4 December 22nd 04 04:58 AM
Brakes Lock and Won't Let Go, 94 Grand Voyager - Help before they get me killed. Jim Ashburn Dodge 10 July 22nd 04 02:10 AM
202 Dodge Dakota 4X4 Brakes Randy Harbison Dodge 0 July 21st 04 02:31 AM