98 honda accord

Old January 10th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
poobear105

Default 98 honda accord

I have not had any problems with my accord up until now. I drove the car
somewhere, it was working fine and when I later returned to it, it just
wouldn't start. I don't think it's the batterym because everything else is
powered - lights radio wipers power locks, etc. When I turn the ignition,
it just doesn't turn over. Try boosting it, nothing. Checked the fuses,
nothing. checked fluids, everything is fine. It just wont start -had to
have it tiwed home and now it just sits there 2 days later. Can anyone
offer some advise PLEASE.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/....makers.honda/
More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

Old January 10th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

It's hard to diagnose from afar, so bear with the questions
you're given here.

Two candidates you want to eliminate quickly: Broken timing
belt and old battery.

See
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/start...hecktimingbelt
to check the timing belt.

When you say you tried boosting it, do you mean you tried a
jumpstart?

A battery may still power the lights radio, etc. but not
have enough energy left in it to get the car started.
Alternatively it's so old it can't hold enough charge.

How old is the battery in years? Has it been jumped many
times? Who is the battery manufacturer?

I would start by first checking the battery voltage. If it's
less than 12 volts, then replace it.

See http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/startproblems.html for
more troubleshooting suggestions.

"poobear105" > wrote

Old January 11th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Bumpy

"poobear105" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
>I have not had any problems with my accord up until now. I drove the car
> somewhere, it was working fine and when I later returned to it, it just
> wouldn't start. I don't think it's the batterym because everything else is
> powered - lights radio wipers power locks, etc. When I turn the ignition,
> it just doesn't turn over. Try boosting it, nothing. Checked the fuses,
> nothing. checked fluids, everything is fine. It just wont start -had to
> have it tiwed home and now it just sits there 2 days later. Can anyone
> offer some advise PLEASE.
>
> --
> Message posted using
> http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/....makers.honda/
> More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

Did you have the ignition switch replaced under the recall?

The contacts in the switch, cannot handle the current in some cases.>

Old January 11th 08, 06:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

poobear105 wrote:
> I have not had any problems with my accord up until now. I drove the car
> somewhere, it was working fine and when I later returned to it, it just
> wouldn't start. I don't think it's the batterym because everything else is
> powered - lights radio wipers power locks, etc. When I turn the ignition,
> it just doesn't turn over. Try boosting it, nothing. Checked the fuses,
> nothing. checked fluids, everything is fine. It just wont start -had to
> have it tiwed home and now it just sits there 2 days later. Can anyone
> offer some advise PLEASE.

-------------------------

If you've ruled out a dead battery, you probably need to have a helper
hold the key to position III and you tap the starter with a hammer (or
hatchet) per this thread:

http://www.hondasuv.com/members/show...light=solenoid

If you're hearing no click, it's the brushes not contacting the armature.

'Curly'
Old January 11th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:54:17 -0700, Elle > wrote:
>It's hard to diagnose from afar, so bear with the questions
>you're given here.

>Two candidates you want to eliminate quickly: Broken timing
>belt and old battery.

It would still turn over with a broken timing belt. I'd concentrate on the
battery/ignition switch/solenoid/starter.

And please quit top posting. It royally ****s up the flow of a thread.
backwards thread ****ing every read to likes everybody Not

Old January 11th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"AZ Nomad" > wrote
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:54:17 -0700, Elle
> > wrote:
>>It's hard to diagnose from afar, so bear with the
>>questions
>>you're given here.

>>Two candidates you want to eliminate quickly: Broken
>>timing
>>belt and old battery.

> It would still turn over with a broken timing belt. I'd
> concentrate on the
> battery/ignition switch/solenoid/starter.

Depends on what the OP meant when s/he said it does not
"turn over." Yes the crankshaft turns (driven by the
starter), but the valves are not working right.

If you do not like top posting, please consider killfiling
my posts. It's not a big deal to me and to many others, and
etiquette says it's more efficient and hence more polite.
So now and then I top post.

Old January 11th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

motsco_ wrote:

> If you've ruled out a dead battery, you probably need to have a helper
> hold the key to position III and you tap the starter with a hammer (or
> hatchet) per this thread:
>
> http://www.hondasuv.com/members/show...light=solenoid
>
> If you're hearing no click, it's the brushes not contacting the armature.

------------------------

I'll elaborate. The solenoid is supposed to click loudly as it engages.
The solenoid finds it's path to ground through the windings in the
armature / field. If your brushes are burnt up / hanging up or if the
armature is burnt / uneven, the solenoid can't even make the big click.
Tapping the starter will often seat the brushes well enough to complete
the circuit.
If you're getting the big click and nothing else happens it's because
the contacts on the end (inside) the solenoid are fried off. They are
often replaceable. See the link provided.

'Curly'
Old January 14th 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On Jan 10, 6:35 pm, "poobear105" > wrote:
> I have not had any problems with my accord up until now. I drove the car
> somewhere, it was working fine and when I later returned to it, it just
> wouldn't start. I don't think it's the batterym because everything else is
> powered - lights radio wipers power locks, etc. When I turn the ignition,
> it just doesn't turn over. Try boosting it, nothing. Checked the fuses,
> nothing. checked fluids, everything is fine. It just wont start -had to
> have it tiwed home and now it just sits there 2 days later. Can anyone
> offer some advise PLEASE.
>
> --
> Message posted usinghttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/rec.autos.makers.honda/
> More information athttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

I suspect a faulty ignition switch. With the key at II position, use a
remote starter, or simply a piece of 12 gauge wire, to power up the
starter's solenoid directly from the battery's posistive terminal.

If the starter engages (clicks) and turns, your ignition switch is
shot
If the starter engages but won't turn, the copper contacts are shot.
But i doubt if this is the case. You didnt experience this symptom
using the switch, you won't see it using a remote starter.

if nothing happens, check for loose ground connections.