2002 CRV Hot brake smell

Old January 9th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
maumee

Default 2002 CRV Hot brake smell

I have a 2002 Honda CRV with 95,000 miles on it. Recently I have
smelled what seems to be a hot brake smell from the right rear brake.
I jacked up the rear wheels and the side in question moved with no
particular resistance. No grinding noises but the disc had a slightly
bluish color. I have not felt any brake pulsing indicating a warped
disc however. I reviewed Tegger's brake section and took the following
action. Removed the piston assembly and cleaned it up. Not very rusty.
Removed the pads, thickness in good shape and wear even. The clips and
retaining devices are in good shape, cleaned up the clips and movment
surfaces. Did not grease as per update. The sliding pins slide like
they were brand new. No sticking whatsoever. Pushed the brake piston
back with the proper tool, ( this model pushes back not screws ) and
it moved very easily. The pads are factory Honda. Reassembled and
drove it for 20 minutes. Still a slight hot brake smell. Felt the disc
on both sides rear and they were relatively the same temperature. The
hub is not hot nor is the CV joint hot or sporting a defective boot. I
have been doing brakes for 20 years and am stumped. Any suggestions
would be appreciated.
Old January 9th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

maumee wrote:
> I have a 2002 Honda CRV with 95,000 miles on it. Recently I have
> smelled what seems to be a hot brake smell from the right rear brake.

-------------------------

This mystery is as old as the CR-V itself:

http://www.hondasuv.com/members/show...hot+rear+smell

'Curly'
Old January 10th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
maumee

On Jan 9, 11:23*am, motsco_ > wrote:
> maumee wrote:
> > I have a 2002 Honda CRV with 95,000 miles on it. Recently I have
> > smelled what seems to be a hot brake smell from the right rear brake.

> -------------------------
>
> This mystery is as old as the CR-V itself:
>
> http://www.hondasuv.com/members/show...highlight=hot+....
>
> 'Curly'

Thanks Curly I was searching in the wrong area for my answer.
Appreciate the quick response.
Old January 10th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
E Meyer

On 1/10/08 1:00 PM, in article , "motsco_"
> wrote:

> E Meyer wrote:
>>

>> On 1/9/08 10:23 AM, in article
, "motsco_"

http://www.hondasuv.com/members/show...t=hot+rear+sme
>> l>
>>> 'Curly'

>> I just read that whole thread. They don't have a clue. Has anyone actually
>> diagnosed this successfully? As I have an '07 CR-V, I'll probably need the
>> answer at some point.
>>

> ------------------------
>
> That's just the most recent of _about twenty threads_. I think it's
> undercoating getting warm, or perhaps the black paint on the muffler.
> There's no definitive answer as far as I can see. There's never been a
> fire or such, so it's not a big issue.
>
> You could sign in and use the SEARCH ENGINE to see if you'll satisfy
> your curiousity.
>
> 'Curly'

When I need the answer, that is exactly what I will do.

Since you were offering up threads, I thought that maybe, just maybe, you
actually knew something. I guess not.

Old January 12th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Siskuwihane

On Jan 10, 2:06*pm, E Meyer > wrote:
> On 1/10/08 1:00 PM, in article , "motsco_"
>

> > wrote:
> > E Meyer wrote:

> >> On 1/9/08 10:23 AM, in article , "motsco_"

> >>http://www.hondasuv.com/members/show...highlight=hot+...
> >> l>

> >> I just read that whole thread. *They don't have a clue. *Has anyone actually
> >> diagnosed this successfully? *As I have an '07 CR-V, I'll probably need the
> >> answer at some point.

> > ------------------------

> > That's just the most recent of _about twenty threads_. I think it's
> > undercoating getting warm, or perhaps the black paint on the muffler.
> > There's no definitive answer as far as I can see. There's never been a
> > fire or such, so it's not a big issue.

> > You could sign in and use the SEARCH ENGINE to see if you'll satisfy
> > your curiousity.

> > 'Curly'

> When I need the answer, that is exactly what I will do.
>
> Since you were offering up threads, I thought that maybe, just maybe, you
> actually knew something. *I guess not.- Hide quoted text -

"I brought it to the attention of my service advisor at the first oil
change but he copped out by suggesting it could be a plastic bag stuck
to the exhaust. What a coincidence that it happens to others....go
figure."

I bet it's a Wal-Mart bag, there are billions of 'em floating around.
Old January 12th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
loewent via CarKB.com

what if that tire is severely cupped? I have the same problem on my 98 civic,
and that rear passenger tire has been making noise (vibration at highway
speed) for quite some time.

I would check your treads for abnormal wear or cupping (cupping is a little
harder to see). How about rolling the tire down your driveway to see if it
is true? Mine is not.

2002 Z3 Brake Pad re[lacement BMW 3 October 10th 06 11:16 PM
2002 Honda CR-V Brake Calipers [email protected] Honda 1 August 6th 06 01:07 AM
2002 BMW 325XI brake replacement [email protected] BMW 2 July 29th 06 12:59 PM
2002 CR-V brake fluid bleed Robert Honda 1 September 25th 04 04:26 AM