Honda Civic Engine Too Noisy - Need Experts advise

Old December 27th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Jeffrey D.

Default Honda Civic Engine Too Noisy - Need Experts advise

I'm glad to find this forum.

My 1997 honda civic engine began producing too much noise after it
went through a major repair when it overheated over a year ago. During
the first few weeks after the car was fixed, i could still hear the
engine noise to be normal. But after several weeks later, i started to
hear loud noises from the engine valves (i could hear the sound like
tikitikitik!!!). I went back to our shop here and had the valve
clearance adjusted to the original clearance. Good enough, it came
back to the original and acceptable noise. BUT then again, after two
weeks, the valve's noise came back which I could hear it even when the
hood is closed and I am sitting at the drivers seat.

The loudest noise can be heard in the morning when the car is started
and when the car is in parking mode (A/T car); but it subsides later
when i am in the highway. But still, the noise it produced when at the
highway is too loud and irritating to hear.

The valves clearance has always been adjusted by the mechanic but has
not prevented in producing noise.

What seems to be the problem with this car? Is this porblem related to
the valves?
The mechanic suggested to replace all the rocker arms, is this a
proper solution to the problem?

I really don't want to spend on something that I regret in the
future.. I want to check here if the mechanic had the right hypothesis/
diagnosis on the problem related to the rocker arm replacements.

I hope you can be of help to me.

Thank you.

Jeff
Old December 27th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Jeffrey D." > wrote in
:

> I'm glad to find this forum.
>
> My 1997 honda civic engine began producing too much noise after it
> went through a major repair when it overheated over a year ago. During
> the first few weeks after the car was fixed, i could still hear the
> engine noise to be normal. But after several weeks later, i started to
> hear loud noises from the engine valves (i could hear the sound like
> tikitikitik!!!). I went back to our shop here and had the valve
> clearance adjusted to the original clearance. Good enough, it came
> back to the original and acceptable noise. BUT then again, after two
> weeks, the valve's noise came back which I could hear it even when the
> hood is closed and I am sitting at the drivers seat.
>
> The loudest noise can be heard in the morning when the car is started
> and when the car is in parking mode (A/T car); but it subsides later
> when i am in the highway. But still, the noise it produced when at the
> highway is too loud and irritating to hear.
>
> The valves clearance has always been adjusted by the mechanic but has
> not prevented in producing noise.
>
> What seems to be the problem with this car? Is this porblem related to
> the valves?
> The mechanic suggested to replace all the rocker arms, is this a
> proper solution to the problem?
>
> I really don't want to spend on something that I regret in the
> future.. I want to check here if the mechanic had the right
> hypothesis/ diagnosis on the problem related to the rocker arm
> replacements.

You overheated the engine? Very bad. Very damaging.

I can think of a few things that would cause your current problem:
1) Warped camshaft
2) Warped head
3) Damaged hardening on camshaft/follower surfaces

Do the clearances keep opening up?

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old December 27th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Jeffrey D.

On Dec 27, 10:58*pm, Tegger > wrote:
> "Jeffrey D." > wrote :
>

> > I'm glad to find this forum.

> > My 1997 honda civic engine began producing too much noise after it
> > went through a major repair when it overheated over a year ago. During
> > the first few weeks after the car was fixed, i could still hear the
> > engine noise to be normal. But after several weeks later, i started to
> > hear loud noises from the engine valves (i could hear the sound like
> > tikitikitik!!!). I went back to our shop here and had the valve
> > clearance adjusted to the original clearance. Good enough, it came
> > back to the original and acceptable noise. BUT then again, after two
> > weeks, the valve's noise came back which I could hear it even when the
> > hood is closed and I am sitting at the drivers seat.

> > The loudest noise can be heard in the morning when the car is started
> > and when the car is in parking mode (A/T car); but it subsides later
> > when i am in the highway. But still, the noise it produced when at the
> > highway is too loud and irritating to hear.

> > The valves clearance has always been adjusted by the mechanic but has
> > not prevented in producing noise.

> > What seems to be the problem with this car? Is this porblem related to
> > the valves?
> > The mechanic suggested to replace all the rocker arms, is this a
> > proper solution to the problem?

> > I really don't want to spend on something that I regret in the
> > future.. I want to check here if the mechanic had the right
> > hypothesis/ diagnosis on the problem related to the rocker arm
> > replacements.

> You overheated the engine? Very bad. Very damaging.
>
> I can think of a few things that would cause your current problem:
> 1) Warped camshaft
> 2) Warped head
> 3) Damaged hardening on camshaft/follower surfaces
>
> Do the clearances keep opening up?
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/- Hide quoted text -

It was a very unfortunate overheating event...
Yes, the clearance keep opening up...is that a warped camshaft gear in
#1?
Can you please elaborate more on the warped head? Are you talking
about the cylinder head? It was already been 're-surface or flatten',
the mechanic said.

Appreciate your reply. Thank you.

Jeff
Old December 27th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Jeffrey D." > wrote in
:

> On Dec 27, 10:58*pm, Tegger > wrote:

>> You overheated the engine? Very bad. Very damaging.
>>
>> I can think of a few things that would cause your current problem:
>> 1) Warped camshaft
>> 2) Warped head
>> 3) Damaged hardening on camshaft/follower surfaces
>>
>> Do the clearances keep opening up?
>>

> It was a very unfortunate overheating event...
> Yes, the clearance keep opening up...is that a warped camshaft gear in
> #1?

It's possible the camshaft is warped. A machine shop can check it for
true. Your mechanic should also check the cam/follower surfaces for
scuffing, indicative of damaged hardening. If the hardened coating is
compromised, the cam or the relevant follower will wear out extremely
quickly.

> Can you please elaborate more on the warped head? Are you talking
> about the cylinder head? It was already been 're-surface or flatten',
> the mechanic said.

If the head was warped and it was simply skimmed, that does not cure the
warp, it simply eliminates warp from the head/block mating surfaces. The
camshaft bearings will still be out-of-true and will get beat to death
by the camshaft. The correct procedure is to have the head straightened,
THEN skimmed.

Overheating is severely damaging to the engine. You should find out
whether or not the valve clearances are continually opening up and
causing that noise.

If compression and oil pressure are still good, you may want to consider
a replacement head, which is cheaper than a whole new engine.

Old December 27th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Jeffrey D.

On Dec 27, 11:52*pm, Tegger > wrote:
> "Jeffrey D." > wrote :
>

> > On Dec 27, 10:58*pm, Tegger > wrote:

> >> You overheated the engine? Very bad. Very damaging.

> >> I can think of a few things that would cause your current problem:
> >> 1) Warped camshaft
> >> 2) Warped head
> >> 3) Damaged hardening on camshaft/follower surfaces

> >> Do the clearances keep opening up?

> > It was a very unfortunate overheating event...
> > Yes, the clearance keep opening up...is that a warped camshaft gear in
> > #1?

> It's possible the camshaft is warped. A machine shop can check it for
> true. Your mechanic should also check the cam/follower surfaces for
> scuffing, indicative of damaged hardening. If the hardened coating is
> compromised, the cam or the relevant follower will wear out extremely
> quickly.
>
> > Can you please elaborate more on the warped head? Are you talking
> > about the cylinder head? It was already been 're-surface or flatten',
> > the mechanic said.

> If the head was warped and it was simply skimmed, that does not cure the
> warp, it simply eliminates warp from the head/block mating surfaces. The
> camshaft bearings will still be out-of-true and will get beat to death
> by the camshaft. The correct procedure is to have the head straightened,
> THEN skimmed.
>
> Overheating is severely damaging to the engine. You should find out
> whether or not the valve clearances are continually opening up and
> causing that noise.
>
> If compression and oil pressure are still good, you may want to consider
> a replacement head, which is cheaper than a whole new engine.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/- Hide quoted text -

Tegger,

Thank you very much for elaborating your answers.

Yes, the valves' clearance would keep opening up and have to do tune
up always.
I'll have the camshaft check first if that's the case.
If I have to replace the head, how much do you think the head would
cost?

Jeff

Old December 28th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Jeffrey D." > wrote in
:

> On Dec 27, 11:52*pm, Tegger > wrote:

>> If compression and oil pressure are still good, you may want to
>> consider a replacement head, which is cheaper than a whole new
>> engine.
>>

> Tegger,
>
> Thank you very much for elaborating your answers.
>
> Yes, the valves' clearance would keep opening up and have to do tune
> up always.
> I'll have the camshaft check first if that's the case.
> If I have to replace the head, how much do you think the head would
> cost?

The head's going to be about $400 just for the part. Then there's the cost
of labor, and possible replacement of the valve guide oil seals.

I'd figure close to $1,000 for the job, if not more.

Make sure your mechanic tests the block for corrosion, oil pressure and
cylinder compression FIRST. No point in spending money on an engine which
has corrosion, poor compression or oil pressure.

Old December 28th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

Guy maybe oughta consider a second-hand engine for some $800
plus cost of installation.

http://www.asapmotors.com/honda-civi...6eadaaa88a58bf

Old January 16th 08, 07:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Jeffrey D.

On Dec 28 2007, 8:56*am, "Elle" >
wrote:
> Guy maybe oughta consider a second-handenginefor some $800
> plus cost of installation.
>
> http://www.asapmotors.com/honda-civi...ml?zenid=11c64...

Do I need the base or trhe vtec from the site? whats the difference
between the two???
Old January 16th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"Jeffrey D." > wrote
Elle wrote
>> Guy maybe oughta consider a second-handenginefor some
>> $800
>> plus cost of installation.
>>
>> http://www.asapmotors.com/honda-civi...ml?zenid=11c64...

> Do I need the base or trhe vtec from the site?
> whats the difference between the two???

Look at the numbers and letters stamped on the engine's
front as it sits in the car. They should be a little below
and to the right of the distributor housing as you stand at
the hood release, facing front. They are about 1 to 2 inches
high. Then match the letters and numbers with those shown
under "engine" at the following site:

http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/m...l/pdf/3-14.pdf

About a third of these Civics were VTEC. The others,
non-VTEC. You can probably google and find whether the LX,
DX, etc. had VTEC or non-VTEC. Still, if you're in the
market for a new engine, get the exact engine number-letter
combination from its side.

VTEC engines have one set of cam lobes for high RPM; another
for low RPM. This allows more optimal intake and exhaust
valve timing, since the timing needs of the engine for best
(most fuel efficient) operation vary greatly from low to
high RPM.

Wikipedia has more.