Replacing Fuel Filter, 1998 Honda Civic EX

Old July 13th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
johnin[_9_]

Default Replacing Fuel Filter, 1998 Honda Civic EX

Some have said that a fuel filter on a Honda lasts for the life of the
car.

However, I have about 168,000 miles on my '98 Civic. I have detected that
my fuel efficiency is starting to lower a bit.

Is this due to a dirty fuel filter or just the age of the car?
first off Honda fuel filters dont last the life of any
car much less a Honda and second of all leaving a filter in that LONG with-out
changing it is asking for trouble. it can and will damage your fuel pump by making it work harder and strain it and there by become noiseyer as well. its not worth the
aggrevation it causes get it changed! you"l do your fuel pump and wallet a favoure.

--
johnin

View this thread: http://www.carstalk.net/viewtopic-433104.html

Send from http://www.carstalk.net

Old July 14th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_1_]

johnin wrote:
> Some have said that a fuel filter on a Honda lasts for the life of the
> car.
>
> However, I have about 168,000 miles on my '98 Civic. I have detected that
> my fuel efficiency is starting to lower a bit.
>
> Is this due to a dirty fuel filter or just the age of the car?
> first off Honda fuel filters dont last the life of any
> car much less a Honda and second of all leaving a filter in that LONG with-out
> changing it is asking for trouble. it can and will damage your fuel pump by making it work harder and strain it and there by become noiseyer as well. its not worth the
> aggrevation it causes get it changed!

eh? the resistance of the filter is /nothing/ compared to the
resistance of the pressure regulator or bigger still, a closed injector.
and it's an inductive pump, so there's nothing to strain.

> you"l do your fuel pump and wallet a favoure.

forget it. filters last pretty much the life of the car. the test, as
stated by curly, is whether it's starting to choke at full load. and at
only 168k, it ain't there yet. not even close.
Old July 14th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

jim beam wrote:

filters last pretty much the life of the car. the test, as
> stated by curly, is whether it's starting to choke at full load. and at
> only 168k, it ain't there yet. not even close.

----------------------------------

The only disclaimer might be if he lives in the country and drives some
dirt road daily. Then fuel filter could die early . . . Even then, a
little back-flush would probably put it back in near-new condition. They
seem to be a bit expensive, although they are armor plated. :-)

'Curly'
Old July 14th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Mike Iglesias[_1_]

In article >,
'Curly Q. Links' > wrote:
>The only disclaimer might be if he lives in the country and drives some
>dirt road daily. Then fuel filter could die early . . . Even then, a
>little back-flush would probably put it back in near-new condition. They
>seem to be a bit expensive, although they are armor plated. :-)

Or you get a load of dirty gas. That happened to me once about 20 years
ago. I barely made it to the dealer because the engine was so starved for
gas. It turns out I wasn't the only one that the dealer had come in who
bought gas from the same station and had problems.

--
Mike Iglesias Email:
University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
Old July 14th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_1_]

Mike Iglesias wrote:
> In article >,
> 'Curly Q. Links' > wrote:
>> The only disclaimer might be if he lives in the country and drives some
>> dirt road daily. Then fuel filter could die early . . . Even then, a
>> little back-flush would probably put it back in near-new condition. They
>> seem to be a bit expensive, although they are armor plated. :-)

> Or you get a load of dirty gas. That happened to me once about 20 years
> ago. I barely made it to the dealer because the engine was so starved for
> gas. It turns out I wasn't the only one that the dealer had come in who
> bought gas from the same station and had problems.

sure it wasn't the neighbor kid and some sugar cubes? that's a nasty combo.