Paging Randolph: VSS info.

Old April 15th 05, 03:54 PM
Charles Lasitter

Default Paging Randolph: VSS info.

You had a most informative post about the VSS. I've got an '05 Accord
LX manual transmission and I'd like to find out about the VSS for it
compared to the '94 Accord .PDF file posted.

I would guess that it would be similar, but just in case you knew where
a similar .PDF would be for my vehicle, I'd appreciate the info.

That file really makes checking the VSS easy (if my car is the same).

Thanks.

-- CL.

| Charles Lasitter | Mailing / Shipping |
| 401/728-1987 | 14 Cooke St |
| cl+at+ncdm+dot+com | Pawtucket RI 02860 |
Old April 15th 05, 08:42 PM
Randolph

Charles Lasitter wrote:

> You had a most informative post about the VSS. I've got an '05 Accord
> LX manual transmission and I'd like to find out about the VSS for it
> compared to the '94 Accord .PDF file posted.
>
> I would guess that it would be similar, but just in case you knew where
> a similar .PDF would be for my vehicle, I'd appreciate the info.
>
> That file really makes checking the VSS easy (if my car is the same).
>
> Thanks.

Charles,

Unfortunately I do not know anything about the VSS on the '05 Accord.
The service manuals haven't started falling off trucks on the
information super highway just yet...

What are you trying to do? The factory authorized service manuals from
http://www.helminc are worth every penny if you are doing work on you
own car. The 2003 - 2005 Accord manual is $70, and if you have the V6
you need the $40 V6 supplement as well.
Old April 16th 05, 01:24 AM
Charles Lasitter

Randolph > wrote in
:

> Unfortunately I do not know anything about the VSS on the '05
> Accord.

> The service manuals haven't started falling off trucks on
> the information super highway just yet...

I understand -- I figured it was worth a shot ...

> What are you trying to do?

> The factory authorized service manuals from http://www.helminc are
> worth every penny if you are doing work on you own car. The 2003 -
> 2005 Accord manual is $70, and if you have the V6 you need the $40
> V6 supplement as well.

It turns out that I may not need the info I asked about after all.

One guy at the Tire Rack told me that I couldn't get a 215/xx-16 on
the car -- that I'd have to go to a 17" wheel for that.

So I was stuck looking at a 205/55-16, which put the speedo readout
at the high end of spec.

Ideally, I'd really like the speedo to reflect the real speed, but it
turns out that nobody wants you to know that this is possible, other
than by severely limiting your tire / wheel choices so that the VSS
module is happy.

Turns out that "Rick's Yellow Box" can translate the pulse count
received to what it should be after a custom tire/wheel install.
Only downside is that you'd have to fiddle with the VSS wiring
harness (cut/strip wires) in a way such that it would later be
obvious. In a snit, a dealer could void your warranty, claiming
odometer tampering or some such, even though the intent and effect
was to achieve accuracy in speed and distance reporting.

So there's this lovely item that dispenses with all that fuss.
That's the "Test Harness" for the vehicle speed sensor. It plugs
inline between the sensor and the wires leading away from the sensor,
and you could tap into THAT bit of wire without ever disturbing the
OEM setup.

It also means that if warranty service were ever called for, you
could simply remove this intervening bit of hardware, and live
happily ever after.

Why I don't need it now: Another guy at the Tire Rack, who has been
there for much longer than the other dweeb, told me that 225/55-16
should be no problem, but that we'd just need to process it as a
"custom" order.

So I'm getting the right tire at the right size and I'm really
psyched about it. (It's the Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S). It's two
pounds lighter than the OE tire, and the alloys should be
considerably lighter as well.

One item was on back order, so it'll all be a couple of weeks getting
here, but I'll try to let you know how it worked out.

Thanks very much for responding.

Old April 16th 05, 02:22 AM
Randolph

Charles Lasitter wrote:

<snip>

> So there's this lovely item that dispenses with all that fuss.
> That's the "Test Harness" for the vehicle speed sensor. It plugs
> inline between the sensor and the wires leading away from the sensor,
> and you could tap into THAT bit of wire without ever disturbing the
> OEM setup.

Understood. I am involved with an older car where the fuel pressure
regulator is controlled by the ECU (the mixture is controlled by varying
the fuel pressure rather than by varying the duty cycle of the
injectors). The oxygen sensor can be tested by reading the current
through the fuel pressure regulator. Problem is, to conveniently measure
the current you need a factory test harness similar to what you are
describing for the VSS. For that particular car I have found that the
connector for the oxygen sensor is the same as for the fuel pressure
regulator. At the junk yard I was able to cut out both the male and
female O2S connectors, and have made my own harness. Total cost $4, your
dealer probably wanted a lot more for the VSS test harness?
Old April 16th 05, 09:55 AM
Charles Lasitter

Randolph > wrote in
:

> Total cost $4, your dealer probably wanted a lot more for the VSS
> test harness?

About $49 IIRC. This one would male on one end (into the VSS) and
female on the other (receiving the plug end) from the vehicle wiring
harness.

Still think it would be handy to have, even though my current tire
selection puts me on the money for revolutions per mile.

-- CL.

| Charles Lasitter | Mailing / Shipping |
| 401/728-1987 | 14 Cooke St |
| cl+at+ncdm+dot+com | Pawtucket RI 02860 |

2002 Passat digital info window Rich VW water cooled 1 March 13th 05 11:46 AM
winch info excossack 4x4 4 January 3rd 05 01:28 AM
winch info excossack 4x4 2 December 21st 04 08:07 PM
INFO: Reverse "slipping" on Ford Explorer Greg Ford Explorer 0 December 1st 04 07:00 PM
Chevy Aveo and Toyota Echo Hatchback aniram General 42 March 1st 04 06:06 PM