"Sobriety Checkpoints"

Old January 8th 05, 03:51 AM
TCS

On 8 Jan 2005 02:00:26 GMT, Jim Yanik > wrote:
(Brent P) wrote in
:

>> In article >, Olaf
>> Gustafson wrote:
>>
>>> I've heard they often announce where and when they'll be. I have yet
>>> to find any of these notices where I live now, but the conventional
>>> wisdom holds that they only do them on major holiday weekends and in
>>> the 2 years I've lived in a state fascist enough to have such
>>> checkpoints, I've never seen one.

>> I've seen several, that if announced it wasnt done in a manner I would
>> see it. Because my commute to work is short (in distance) and the
>> culture at the company isn't one of get in early I avoid traffic by
>> leaving later than most people. I've seen checkpoints being dismantled
>> on my route 3-4 times. This is morning commute, M-F.
>>

>Announced or not,it's still unconstitutional;they interfere with a
>citizen's freedom of movement without government intrusion.(without due
>process or probable cause.)

Theoretically, no. You can always walk.

Try living in L.A. on foot sometime....
Old January 8th 05, 04:04 AM
Brent P

In article >, John David Galt wrote:

> And checkpoints ARE unconstitutional, but that camel's nose got into
> the tent the instant driving became a "privilege", and I hope it
> doesn't take a major war to get the damn thing out again.

1984 is running late, but it's still running.

Old January 8th 05, 04:04 AM
Brent P

Old January 8th 05, 04:06 AM
Brent P

In article >, TCS wrote:

> Theoretically, no. You can always walk.

The guy who was arrested while outside the vehicle he formerly was a
passenger in for refusing to give a cop ID lost his case. So walking
probably isn't safe any longer.

Old January 8th 05, 04:06 AM
Brent P

Old January 8th 05, 04:17 AM
TCS

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 22:06:56 -0600, Brent P > wrote:
>In article >, TCS wrote:

>> Theoretically, no. You can always walk.

>The guy who was arrested while outside the vehicle he formerly was a
>passenger in for refusing to give a cop ID lost his case. So walking
>probably isn't safe any longer.

I'm not surprise. The fourth, fifth and eight amendments were chipped away
to nothing starting in the 80's and nobody gave a ****.

At least the federal government is not slowing down on it's headlong trip into
bankruptcy. Should be interestng when the FG can no longer borrow enough to
even pay the interest on the debt.
Old January 8th 05, 04:17 AM
TCS

Old January 8th 05, 04:24 AM
Jim Yanik

Nate Nagel > wrote in
:

> Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
>
>> "Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
>> news >>

>>>In Virginia at least if you don't stop for the checkpoint, you get
>>>arrested for evading. If you stop and are requested to take a
>>>sobriety test and refuse, I believe that's an automatic DUI.

>> So what you're saying is, I encounter a checkpoint, am ordered to
>> take a FST and refuse, it's an automatic DUI? Is that what you're
>> saying?
>>

> I mis-typed.
>
> http://www.lawyers.ca/international/...?province=VA&s
> tate=Virginia
>
> It's not a DUI, but you lose your license anyway.
>
> nate

In Florida,I believe one can ask for a breathalyzer or blood test,but they
have to be transported to where the blood test can be given,eating up a lot
of time.Although if one has been drinking,that's an advantage,gives the
body more time to metabolize the alcohol.Just like burping before a
breathalyzer test invalidates it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik