Mercury Marquis fuel problem???

Old June 10th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Mercury Marquis fuel problem???

Hello, I have a 1983 Grand Marquis. Yesterday, it ran out of gas.
After getting gas in it, we still have had problems starting it. I have
changed the fuel filter inside of the carb today. I put some gas inside
of the butterfly on the carb and it almost starts. It will turn over
fine, but just won't catch. I know there is spark, cuz I have had a
little fire. lol Any ideas???? Is there another fuel filter?

Old June 11th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

wrote:

>> > Hello, I have a 1983 Grand Marquis. Yesterday, it ran out of gas.
>> >After getting gas in it, we still have had problems starting it. I have
>> >changed the fuel filter inside of the carb today. I put some gas inside
>> >of the butterfly on the carb and it almost starts. It will turn over
>> >fine, but just won't catch. I know there is spark, cuz I have had a
>> >little fire. lol Any ideas???? Is there another fuel filter?

>> Is there another fuel pump?
>> What is your fuel pressure going to the engine?

> I don't know how exactly to check the pressure, but it seems to not
>be pumping at all....

What I think...

>How do I know if my car has c.f.i. or not????

I can't see the engine, but you have either a
5.0L 302 cubic inch displacement V8 (F) engine in that
or a
5.8 liter 351 cubic inch displacement V8 (G) engine

in either case

> When I press down the gas, two little doors open beside the carb.
>
>__________________________
>| | |
>| | |
>| /|\ | /|\ |
>| | | | |
>| | | | |
>| | | | |
>|____________|_____________|
>
>The things in the middle are arrows.... My digital cam is messed up or
>I would just take a pic. =\

you have a fuel supply line going to the carburetor. I don't know
what that looks like, since I don't have a book for that model
vehicle, but you definetely have a fuel supply line going to the
carburetor. There may be an inline fuel filter on it. Somewhere
between the gas tank and the carb there most certainly is a fuel
filter.

You can disconnect the fuel line going to the filter, and attach the
fuel line from the fuel tank to a fuel pressure gauge instead of the
fuel filter, and turn the ignition key to ON ( without going all the
way to START ). That should turn on the fuel pump...and you should
see the pressure come up on the gauge to something around 45 pounds
per square inch pressure, plus or minus. Somewhere in the fuel line
there should be a piece of rubber fuel line you can tap into with a
gauge.

If the gauge stays dead and doesn't move...the pump is electrically
dead, but not necessarily defective. There are some things that can
turn it OFF, such as the Fuel Shutoff Solenoid.

Anyhow, finding out you do or don't have fuel line pressure is
Paramount to continuing with the diagnosis. We need to know if this
is a fuel supply problem. If it is, it could be caused by anything
from a bad electrical connection to a blown fuse, to a defective
relay, to an activated fuel shutoff solenoid. Or maybe even the fuel
pump is bad.

You can find out about that by finding the wires that go to the fuel
pump and seeing if you get voltage there when your turn your iginition
switch to ON, but not START. For a few seconds...the fuel pump should
turn on when you turn the key to ON ( but not Start ). You should get
voltage to the pump and pressure.

If the voltage is not there...that's one problem.

If the voltage IS there, but you're not getting pressure, that is a
different problem.

It sounds more difficult to test than it really is. All of this
shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to figure out if you have a Volt
Meter and a fuel pressure gauge.

In fact you don't really need the fuel pressure gauge. You can just
aim the detached fuel line from the fuel tank into a bucket to catch
the gasoline...and watch to see if it gets gas into it when you turn
the ignition switch to ON, but not START.

If you do get fuel pumped into the bucket, that is when we want to
measure the fuel pressure. If it is too low, your engine won't work
correctly from fuel starvation.

So you decide. Spend the $ and get a Digital Volt Meter and a fuel
pressure gauge? Or bring it to somebody else, because if in fact the
fuel pump is dead, do you have the tools/knowledge to swap it out with
a new one? It is not a trivial task.

As always, No Smoking and wear a full face shield or protective eye
goggles when working on a pressurized fuel system.

Now you are in rec.autos.TECH, which isn't the same group as
rec.autos.dope, except for a few unmentioned members/posters. So you
are going to have to decide if you can get the information, tools, and
have the savy to do it yourself. If you don't, nothing to be ashamed
of, but you'll pay for that when you get the bill from the mechanic.

Lg

Old June 12th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

I talked to a couple of mechanics at work and they say that I have a
mechanical pump. I have checked the line and it is getting gas, but not
enough to do **** with. I ordered a new fuel pump from the parts store
which will be here tomorrow afternoon. I am going to attempt to get
this done tomorrow when I get home from work. In the past two years, I
have gone from being completely stupid when it comes to cars, to really
starting to learn something. I wanna thank everyone for their help. I
will let you know how to goes too.... ~Shane

Old June 12th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

http://tinyurl.com/rof7l

This shows some about mech. pumps.

--
Knifeblade_03
Knifeblade_03's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=262826

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old June 13th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default NEW PROBLEM!!

Okay, we got the fuel pump in. Now it will start, but when I take my
foot off the gas, it dies.
We have followed the fuel up into carb so I know the pump is working
now. Any ideas what is up now????

Old June 14th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Fixed....

It starts now!!! WHOOO HOOO!!!!! My smog pump locked up..... Is it
needed??