igniter

Old April 26th 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default igniter

Is it possible to have an igniter failed without a code 15 or any fault
codes?
My 1991 honda civic won't start and suspect an igniter, but there's no
fault codes

Old April 26th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Steph" > wrote in
ups.com:

> Is it possible to have an igniter failed without a code 15 or any fault
> codes?
> My 1991 honda civic won't start and suspect an igniter, but there's no
> fault codes

Got spark?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old April 26th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Yes I got sparks, fuel pressure, compression on each cyl
(165 psi) everything is perfect but the car won't start

Old April 26th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Steph" > wrote in
oups.com:

:

>> "Steph" > wrote in
>> ups.com:
>>
>>> Is it possible to have an igniter failed without a code 15 or any fault
>>> codes?
>>> My 1991 honda civic won't start and suspect an igniter, but there's no
>>> fault codes
>>>

>> Got spark?
>>

> Yes I got sparks, fuel pressure, compression on each cyl
> (165 psi) everything is perfect but the car won't start

Check the ignition timing?

Has the timing belt been replaced recently?

Have you checked to make sure the camshaft is turning? (Remove oil filler
cap & look while cranking; do NOT remove dist cap!)

If you've got spark, *and* it's the *right color*, then your igniter is
fine. How did you check for spark?

Old April 26th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Steph wrote:
> Is it possible to have an igniter failed without a code 15 or any fault
> codes?

yes it is. but you say you're getting sparks, so how can it have
failed? how did you test?

> My 1991 honda civic won't start and suspect an igniter, but there's no
> fault codes

if the main relay on this vehicle hasn't been changed or re-soldered,
it's a /very/ likely candidate for failure. it's super-common on hondas
this vintage and doesn't always give a code.

also, check the simple stuff like spark plugs. i was given a free car
one time by someone that had spent a fortune replacing virtually
everything under the hood. a new set of plugs and it worked perfectly.

go to tegger.com and check the no-start faq's. he's got testing data on
there too.
Old April 26th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

jim beam > wrote in
t:

> also, check the simple stuff like spark plugs. i was given a free car
> one time by someone that had spent a fortune replacing virtually
> everything under the hood. a new set of plugs and it worked perfectly.

What he said!

Why didn't I think of that one? Crapped-up plugs won't fire properly.

igniter testing ECUguy Honda 4 October 27th 05 11:29 PM
Unofficial FAQ igniter updates... TeGGeR® Honda 0 June 29th 05 01:35 AM
94 tercel igniter [email protected] Technology 1 June 2nd 05 02:29 PM
Deciphering the igniter... TeGGeR® Honda 13 May 4th 05 05:40 AM
igniter testing jim beam Honda 3 November 9th 04 06:03 PM