93 eurovan keeps blowing fuse 15 and will not start.......

Old November 19th 05, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default 93 eurovan keeps blowing fuse 15 and will not start.......

It all started about two weeks ago. As I was driving the engined
stalled and would not start back up, so I had it towed. The next
morning the shop called and said it started right back up, but had to
be jumped. They could'nt find any thing wrong with it. So this happened
2 more times usually after 30+ miles. So I took it to VW dealer and
they couldnt find any thing wrong it, but they suggested to change the
throttle body and said they couldnt guaratee that would fix the
problem. I didnt think the that was the problem so I declined service.
On the way home from a close grocery stop it happened again but would
not start back up. I towed it home and changed the ingnition coil, A
few people told me this may be the problem. It did start after I
instaled it but only stayed on for about a minute before dying, while
it was on the oil light was on, I figured this was because I changed
the oil switch and the one advanced auto gave me wasnt the same as the
one I removed, at least it dindnt look like it, it was green and the
one I removed was grey. So now it will not start up at all again, but
every time I turn the ignition to start fuse 15 (engine electronics)
keeps blowing.

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN......

Old November 19th 05, 11:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

wrote:

> It all started about two weeks ago. As I was driving the engined
> stalled and would not start back up, so I had it towed. The next
> morning the shop called and said it started right back up, but had to
> be jumped. They could'nt find any thing wrong with it. So this happened
> 2 more times usually after 30+ miles. So I took it to VW dealer and
> they couldnt find any thing wrong it, but they suggested to change the
> throttle body and said they couldnt guaratee that would fix the
> problem. I didnt think the that was the problem so I declined service.
> On the way home from a close grocery stop it happened again but would
> not start back up. I towed it home and changed the ingnition coil, A
> few people told me this may be the problem. It did start after I
> instaled it but only stayed on for about a minute before dying, while
> it was on the oil light was on, I figured this was because I changed
> the oil switch and the one advanced auto gave me wasnt the same as the
> one I removed, at least it dindnt look like it, it was green and the
> one I removed was grey. So now it will not start up at all again, but
> every time I turn the ignition to start fuse 15 (engine electronics)
> keeps blowing.
>
> PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN......

Is that watercooled??

Any link to a diagram?

Is it possible the coil you put in is not the same as the original?

-------
You might want to register on this forum:
http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/forumdisplay.php?f=11
Pretty sure they cover the EuroVan.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old November 19th 05, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

wrote:
> It all started about two weeks ago. As I was driving the engined
> stalled and would not start back up, so I had it towed. The next
> morning the shop called and said it started right back up, but had to
> be jumped. They could'nt find any thing wrong with it. So this happened
> 2 more times usually after 30+ miles. So I took it to VW dealer and
> they couldnt find any thing wrong it, but they suggested to change the
> throttle body and said they couldnt guaratee that would fix the
> problem. I didnt think the that was the problem so I declined service.
> On the way home from a close grocery stop it happened again but would
> not start back up. I towed it home and changed the ingnition coil, A
> few people told me this may be the problem. It did start after I
> instaled it but only stayed on for about a minute before dying, while
> it was on the oil light was on, I figured this was because I changed
> the oil switch and the one advanced auto gave me wasnt the same as the
> one I removed, at least it dindnt look like it, it was green and the
> one I removed was grey. So now it will not start up at all again, but
> every time I turn the ignition to start fuse 15 (engine electronics)
> keeps blowing.
>
> PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN......

Sorry, this is the aircooled group. Try the
rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled group.

They'll have a bunch of suggestions, so to get you started, remove or
disconnect your coil. See if your fuse stays alive with it out of the
circuit - your car won't start, but this is just a way to see what's
blowing your fuse because that is your primary problem at this point.
If your fuse remains ok, your coil is not hooked up right or is
defective.

Remco

Old November 19th 05, 11:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

**** OF JIM YOU KNOW ALL ****!

Old November 19th 05, 11:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

The fuse blew with the coil unhooked. I thought this engine was air
cooled?

Old November 20th 05, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

wrote:
> It all started about two weeks ago. As I was driving the engined
> stalled and would not start back up, so I had it towed. The next
> morning the shop called and said it started right back up, but had to
> be jumped. They could'nt find any thing wrong with it. So this happened
> 2 more times usually after 30+ miles. So I took it to VW dealer and
> they couldnt find any thing wrong it, but they suggested to change the
> throttle body and said they couldnt guaratee that would fix the
> problem. I didnt think the that was the problem so I declined service.
> On the way home from a close grocery stop it happened again but would
> not start back up. I towed it home and changed the ingnition coil, A
> few people told me this may be the problem. It did start after I
> instaled it but only stayed on for about a minute before dying, while
> it was on the oil light was on, I figured this was because I changed
> the oil switch and the one advanced auto gave me wasnt the same as the
> one I removed, at least it dindnt look like it, it was green and the
> one I removed was grey. So now it will not start up at all again, but
> every time I turn the ignition to start fuse 15 (engine electronics)
> keeps blowing.
>
> PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN......

So fuse #15 blows after you changed the oil pressure sender. And you
think it wasn't the same anyway. That seems to be the apparent cause of
fuse #15 blowing, unrelated to short-trip dieing.
Coil was not the problem. Put the original back. You proved it was not
the problem because the problem still exists.
The dealer SHOULD HAVE hooked up the diagnostic computer which SHOULD
HAVE told them what the problem is... UNLESS...
There is a possibility there is water in your gasoline or even some
other contaminants. Water because the problem seems to "heal itself"
after the water settles back down in the bottom of the tank. It would
have to be a fairly large amount of water, but as the engine runs,
gasoline is agitated in the tank and the water no longer stays on the
"bottom layer" and below the fuel pickup.
If there is a problem with any of the electronic sensors in the engine
area, what you can do is disconnect the battery the next time it dies on
you. Leave it disconnected for about a minute, then hook it back up and
try starting. If it starts right up, chances are there is a problem
either with a sensor or that a sensor is accurately sensing as a problem
and causing shutdown. If it starts rough or doesn't start, good
possibility of a fuel problem similar to what I described above.

Whenever you disconnect / connect a battery after the car has been
running a while especially, NO SMOKING, no sparks, nothing that can
ignite the explosive gasses inside it! Be careful when using a wrench on
battery terminals that the wrench does not make contact with anything
else, anywhere on the car! If working on the ground side, less risky but
still you need to pay attention.

If the indicator showed no oil pressure because there was no oil
pressure, that could mean you have a new boat anchor instead of an
engine you had previously.

Hope this helps, now go back to the watercooled side! -BaH