Preparing a car for sun and heat.

Old May 26th 05, 11:05 PM
Bill 2

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I was also wondering if it's OK to wash the car in direct sunlight? I
> have heard many say it was a bad idea for some odd reason.

When in the sun, the body panels will be hotter. Water will dry before you
can dry it off, this can leave unsightly water marks. Not very good if it
dries with soap on it either. If you can wash, rinse and towel dry before
the water evaporates and leaves unsightly water marks, sure wash it in
direct sunlight. It shouldn't, however, cause irreparable damage.

> The cars exterior is black. Is it OK to use touch up paint by the
> dealer? Or is it something that's not recommended as it could cause
> more harm than good or something?

Don't know why it wouldn't be OK to use dealer touchup paint. I haven't had
problems using touch up paint to fix minor dings or scratches. As long as
you're careful when using it you shouldn't have a problem.

Old May 26th 05, 11:22 PM
Paul

On 25 May 2005 21:35:52 -0700, , said the following in
rec.autos.driving...

> I was also wondering if it's OK to wash the car in direct sunlight? I
> have heard many say it was a bad idea for some odd reason.

Nothing really harmful about it, but like Bill said, the water/soap will
dry on the vehicle quicker and leave water marks on the car - which will
be more visible on a dark colored car like yours. Plus, working in the
direct sun will be much harder on you than working in the shade would be.

> The cars exterior is black. Is it OK to use touch up paint by the
> dealer? Or is it something that's not recommended as it could cause
> more harm than good or something?

Actually, IMO, the dealer would be the best place to get the touch-up
paint as they can get the proper color paint for your car. IIRC, there is
a sticker somewhere on the car that has the paint code for the vehicle
that tells them which color paint you need.
Old May 28th 05, 05:17 PM
Snow

> '83 Chevy, '02 Taurus, what's the difference?

besides manufacture....lots.

Snow...

Old May 28th 05, 09:10 PM
L Sternn

On Sat, 28 May 2005 12:17:51 -0400, "Snow" >
wrote:

>> '83 Chevy, '02 Taurus, what's the difference?

>besides manufacture....lots.

Yet you failed to articulate any

Old May 31st 05, 11:59 PM
Magnulus

Armor All is OK, but there are many other protectants out there. Armor
All actually is mostly just a silicone with UV blockers, there are no
plasticizers in it. Other brands like Black Magic and Meguair's use mineral
oil, UV blockers, and plasticizers (phthalates). The main way Armor All
works is by blocking UV rays from hitting the dashboard, and also sealing
the dashboard so that ozone cannot get to it.