Pilot shaft bushing wearing fast and often!!

Old August 15th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Default Pilot shaft bushing wearing fast and often!!

I would have nightmares over that. But, the only problem it causes
is chattering, grabbing, starting in reverse.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 16th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Ervin Charles

I've have searched high and low looking for a roller bearing for the rear of
the crank. No company offers them that I can find so I took a bushing to an
industrial bearing supply house and said find me a bearing to match these
specs. We'll see what they come up with. The bushing is worn about .020"
oversized and worn more on one side (off center). With all the oil and
grease I've used over the last couple of bushing replacements, I have never
had any clutch chatter. Perhaps the lube I've been using is too heavy. But
I've owned standard transmission GTO's, Firebirds, Chevy Trucks, a Dodge
Charger, etc., etc and pilot shaft bushings will last the life of the clutch
or longer. I must have an alignment problem but I don't know where or how.
The crank can't be bent or I would be pumping oil out the rear main seal.
The input shaft has the recommended .005" in/out play in it and of course
has lateral movement that I think would preclude an alignment problem with
the input shaft. The block and bellhousing bolt up square and tight as does
the transmission to the bellhousing. Next time it craps out, I'll stick in
another bellhousing I have laying around.
Thanks for the responses guys,
Charles Ervin

Old August 16th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

The bushing fits into a sleeve that can be pulled out with a pilot
puller tool. The shop we bought a new 'bearing' from for a YJ pulled it
for us.

If you ask for one for an 89 or 90 YJ with the 258, you will get the
bearing. This bearing only needs a couple hundredths taken off the
inside to fit the nose shaft of the tranny. The YJ uses a tranny shaft
with a different sized nose.

When installing a clutch, the 'plastic' jig tool to line up the YJ
clutch plates will 'just' compress enough to use for a CJ clutch. There
is that 'little' of a difference.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's