98 Accord. Drivers side key entry doesn't work.

Old February 4th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default 98 Accord. Drivers side key entry doesn't work.

I have a 98 Accord EX that I bought a couple of years ago and I have
never been able to unlock the car using the key on the drivers side.
I have always had to use the key on the passenger side. I've been
told that it had the option for keyless entry but I never thought it
was that big of a deal and never bought the remote.

Yesterday morning I had to break into my car because I locked the keys
in it. I was able to get into by lifting up on the little door lock
peg thing (not the lever that locks/unlocks all doors) with a clothes
hanger. The car started honking as soon as I opened the door to grab
my keys and it would not turn off. I tried to lock/unlock using the
key on the passenger side which did nothing. I started the car using
the key and that did nothing. Then in desperation before popping the
hood and going for the battery I tried the drivers side and as soon as
I turned the key the alarm went silent. So, the driver sides key
entry is hooked up to something it just won't lock/unlock the doors.
I thought that maybe there would be something I could reset that would
make it start working again. It's a long shot I know.

Before I bought the car it was repo'd. The car lot told me so and the
trim along the driver side door showed where it had been pried on and
dented so I know it's true. I thought that maybe all this time it
just had something to do with the factory alarm that wasn't letting me
use my key. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old February 5th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dan Beaton

) writes:
> I have a 98 Accord EX that I bought a couple of years ago and I have
> never been able to unlock the car using the key on the drivers side.
> I have always had to use the key on the passenger side. I've been
> told that it had the option for keyless entry but I never thought it
> was that big of a deal and never bought the remote.
>
> Yesterday morning I had to break into my car because I locked the keys
> in it. I was able to get into by lifting up on the little door lock
> peg thing (not the lever that locks/unlocks all doors) with a clothes
> hanger. The car started honking as soon as I opened the door to grab
> my keys and it would not turn off. I tried to lock/unlock using the
> key on the passenger side which did nothing. I started the car using
> the key and that did nothing. Then in desperation before popping the
> hood and going for the battery I tried the drivers side and as soon as
> I turned the key the alarm went silent. So, the driver sides key
> entry is hooked up to something it just won't lock/unlock the doors.
> I thought that maybe there would be something I could reset that would
> make it start working again. It's a long shot I know.
>
> Before I bought the car it was repo'd. The car lot told me so and the
> trim along the driver side door showed where it had been pried on and
> dented so I know it's true. I thought that maybe all this time it
> just had something to do with the factory alarm that wasn't letting me
> use my key. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

If I understand correctly, you can turn the key in the driver's door
lock, but the door does not unlock. If so, it sounds like the mechanical
connection between the lock cylinder and the door lock is disconnected.
In that case, you would need to remove the door panel and reconnect
the mechanism, or replace whatever is broken.
Dan

(This account is not used for email.)