1990 accord - winter gas mileage

Old February 1st 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Vlad Ciubotariu

Default 1990 accord - winter gas mileage

Is it a better idea to idle the car for 5min before driving it?

-vlad

Old February 1st 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Vlad Ciubotariu > wrote in
news
> Is it a better idea to idle the car for 5min before driving it?

No. That's a BAD idea. You see people doing that, go up and give them a
smack upside the head. It's not good for the car to do that regularly.

It's a better idea to take the car for an hour's highway drive once a week.
This will get the oil hot enough to burn off all the water and gas that's
been collecting in it during your one-mile toodles to the grocery store.

An weekly hour's drive will also exercise the brakes, suspension and the
various seals, helping to prolong their lives and stave off trouble.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old February 1st 07, 06:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe LaVigne

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 02:09:57 +0000, Tegger wrote:

> Vlad Ciubotariu > wrote in
> news >
>> Is it a better idea to idle the car for 5min before driving it?

> No. That's a BAD idea. You see people doing that, go up and give them a
> smack upside the head. It's not good for the car to do that regularly.
>
> It's a better idea to take the car for an hour's highway drive once a week.
> This will get the oil hot enough to burn off all the water and gas that's
> been collecting in it during your one-mile toodles to the grocery store.
>
> An weekly hour's drive will also exercise the brakes, suspension and the
> various seals, helping to prolong their lives and stave off trouble.

This has been asked before, but I have never seen a logical answer
provided (since I've been here, anyhow)...

WHY is it a bad idea? I understand that Honda recommends against it, but
what is the rationale? What is the negative effect on the engine from
idling for 5-10 minutes to get the heat going when it is 5 degrees outside?

I have taken to the habit of starting the car, brushing off the snow and
ice, and getting on the road, simply because Honda says so. I'd love to
know exactly why they say so...
Old February 1st 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Joe LaVigne wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 02:09:57 +0000, Tegger wrote:
>
>> Vlad Ciubotariu > wrote in
>> news >>
>>> Is it a better idea to idle the car for 5min before driving it?

>> No. That's a BAD idea. You see people doing that, go up and give them a
>> smack upside the head. It's not good for the car to do that regularly.
>>
>> It's a better idea to take the car for an hour's highway drive once a week.
>> This will get the oil hot enough to burn off all the water and gas that's
>> been collecting in it during your one-mile toodles to the grocery store.
>>
>> An weekly hour's drive will also exercise the brakes, suspension and the
>> various seals, helping to prolong their lives and stave off trouble.
>>

> This has been asked before, but I have never seen a logical answer
> provided (since I've been here, anyhow)...
>
> WHY is it a bad idea? I understand that Honda recommends against it, but
> what is the rationale? What is the negative effect on the engine from
> idling for 5-10 minutes to get the heat going when it is 5 degrees outside?
>
> I have taken to the habit of starting the car, brushing off the snow and
> ice, and getting on the road, simply because Honda says so. I'd love to
> know exactly why they say so...

here's what i've been told: 95% of all ring/cylinder wear occurs during
warmup. the longer warmup takes, the longer you're in the high wear
phase. an engine idling takes ages, an engine driven gets there quickly.

i understand that it's partly a lubricant viscosity thing and partly a
lubricant dilution thing because unburnt gasoline can condense on cold
cylinder walls and dilute the oil film. diesels, which have the same
factors involved, experience much less ring/cylinder wear because diesel
condensate is a lubricant, gas condensate is not.
Old February 1st 07, 02:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

jim beam > wrote in
:

> Joe LaVigne wrote:
>> On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 02:09:57 +0000, Tegger wrote:
>>
>>> Vlad Ciubotariu > wrote in
>>> news >>>
>>>

>>> No. That's a BAD idea. You see people doing that, go up and give
>>> them a smack upside the head. It's not good for the car to do that
>>> regularly.
>>>
>>> It's a better idea to take the car for an hour's highway drive once
>>> a week. This will get the oil hot enough to burn off all the water
>>> and gas that's been collecting in it during your one-mile toodles to
>>> the grocery store.
>>>
>>> An weekly hour's drive will also exercise the brakes, suspension and
>>> the various seals, helping to prolong their lives and stave off
>>> trouble.
>>>

>> This has been asked before, but I have never seen a logical answer
>> provided (since I've been here, anyhow)...
>>
>> WHY is it a bad idea? I understand that Honda recommends against it,
>> but what is the rationale? What is the negative effect on the engine
>> from idling for 5-10 minutes to get the heat going when it is 5
>> degrees outside?
>>
>> I have taken to the habit of starting the car, brushing off the snow
>> and ice, and getting on the road, simply because Honda says so. I'd
>> love to know exactly why they say so...

> here's what i've been told: 95% of all ring/cylinder wear occurs
> during warmup. the longer warmup takes, the longer you're in the high
> wear phase. an engine idling takes ages, an engine driven gets there
> quickly.
>

> i understand that it's partly a lubricant viscosity thing and partly a
> lubricant dilution thing because unburnt gasoline can condense on cold
> cylinder walls and dilute the oil film. diesels, which have the same
> factors involved, experience much less ring/cylinder wear because
> diesel condensate is a lubricant, gas condensate is not.

Correct.

Extended cold idling periods dump tons of gas and water into the oil,
since the engine warms up so much more slowly. It takes longer full-hot
driving to boil all that off. This also contributes to sludge and
varnish buildup.

On the other hand, idling the car when it's already fully warm does not
cause the same problem, so that's OK.

The only benefit to extended cold idling is visibility: the windows will
be more completely cleared (if frosted up, that is), so you can more
safely see where you're going.

Old February 2nd 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe LaVigne

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 14:17:03 +0000, Tegger wrote:

> The only benefit to extended cold idling is visibility: the windows will
> be more completely cleared (if frosted up, that is), so you can more
> safely see where you're going.

Thanks, Jim and Tegger, for excellent information...

I will continue to do as I have been... Basically warm it as long as it
takes to brush it off and defog the windows, then get rolling...