1990 accord - winter gas mileage

Old January 29th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Vlad Ciubotariu

Default 1990 accord - winter gas mileage

Hi all,

My 1990 Accord eats up a lot of gas this winter. I've filled up 9 litres
or so for ~65km. It's been cold outside about -10 to -15. I'm not idling
the car, just driving in town.

What should I do to get it to be more efficient. Last oil change was in
December.

thanks in advance,
-Vlad

Old January 29th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dano58

You used 9 liters in 65 kilometers?? I would look for a leak!!! Or
maybe someone is siphoning from you!

Dan D
'07 Ody EX
Central NJ USA

Old January 29th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

Do everything listed at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~honda.lioness/id11.html

Take seriously the advice on using only OEM for ignition
parts.

Old January 29th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Vlad Ciubotariu

I do a lot of intown driving - many rides short distances. In the
summer fuel efficiency is about 11l/100km in town.

vlad

Old January 30th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gordon McGrew[_1_]

On 29 Jan 2007 11:51:51 -0800, "Dano58" > wrote:

>You used 9 liters in 65 kilometers?? I would look for a leak!!! Or
>maybe someone is siphoning from you!
>
>Dan D
>'07 Ody EX
>Central NJ USA

That is about 15 mpg. I would suggest that there might be a lot of
error in the refill factor. You need to run it down to the last
quarter of the tank to get the best accuracy.

I am also wondering how many short trips you do. If you are driving
it 5 miles through the city making two or three stops (e.g. shopping)
along the way and then parking it for 10 hours or more then 15 mpg
might be about right at these temperatures.
Old January 30th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gordon McGrew[_1_]

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:31:02 -0500, Vlad Ciubotariu
> wrote:

>I do a lot of intown driving - many rides short distances. In the
>summer fuel efficiency is about 11l/100km in town.
>
>vlad

About 21 mpg. Is the -10 to -15 degrees F or C? If it is F, then you
may be lucky the mileage isn't worse.

Old January 30th 07, 11:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Gordon McGrew > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:31:02 -0500, Vlad Ciubotariu
> > wrote:
>
>>I do a lot of intown driving - many rides short distances. In the
>>summer fuel efficiency is about 11l/100km in town.
>>
>>vlad

> About 21 mpg. Is the -10 to -15 degrees F or C? If it is F, then you
> may be lucky the mileage isn't worse.

Yes, that figure is just over 21mpg for US gallons, which is pretty good
for all-city, short-hop driving.

Since the OP is in Canada, his temperatures are Celsius. -15C is +5F. Many
short trips in those temperatures mean extremely high fuel consumption.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old January 30th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Vlad Ciubotariu

Thank you all,

Yes, all my trips are 1-2 km to the grocery store and back at around -15C
in Canada. I never had these problems a few months ago when it was still
above 0.

Vlad

Old January 30th 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On Jan 30, 9:08 am, Vlad Ciubotariu > wrote:
> Thank you all,
>
> Yes, all my trips are 1-2 km to the grocery store and back at around -15C
> in Canada. I never had these problems a few months ago when it was still
> above 0.
>
> Vlad

Sure..The choke/fast idle/ECU rich mix is going on longer until it
warms up.
Once warm, there shouldn't be a whole lot of difference. But when
cold,
they drink the gas. And if it takes a good while longer to warm up,
just
that much more gas.. If you do many short trips in the cold wx, it's
going
to drink more gas. The car barely gets a chance to fully warm, and
every
time you go again, the car is probably cold again, and has to start
over.
MK