1994 jetta diesel no power then quit

Old April 21st 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default 1994 jetta diesel no power then quit

If anyone can help. I was driving up a slight incline, when I all of a
sudden lost power. I pulled over, and as I was stopping the car died, but
before I stopped I popped the clutch and then started it again. I started
on my way again, and then it gave out again. I started it once more and it
seemed to have all kinds of power and then it quit. I was then pointing
down hill, and when I tried to start it again, it just turned over and over.
I had it towed home, will have to look at it when I get home. Any
suggestions. I changed my fuel filter about 6 months ago. It has been very
rainy and cold here lately (Nova Scotia Canada).
Any Suggestions?

Old April 22nd 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Could be water in the fuel -- should be a tap on the bottom of the
filter to drain out the water.

You might also be running out of fuel due to a faulty fuel gauge...
those are the only things that come to mind. Sure sounds like fuel
starvation or contamination.

Old April 22nd 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Did you have a look at your fuel lines? Is there air bubbles in them?
Is there any fuel in them at all? Maybe you have a leak somewhere and
your sucking air into them. I had the exact same problem and the cause
was (sorry to say) that some seals had failed in the lift pump section
of the injection pump and it needed to be rebuilt.

Old April 22nd 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Hi
There was bubbles in the lines, and I went into the hatch that's in the
trunk, and there is a bit of power, but when we took off the line, there
wasn't any fuel there at all. Is there a way of testing this?

Old April 23rd 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default 1994 jetta diesel no power then quit--update

Hi
I was already to replace the injector pump, when I noticed that there was a
wire off of the injector pump. Once I reconnect it, it started.
Thanks.

Old April 23rd 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Hi,
I have the same problem with my regular gas 1990 Jetta. I was recently
advised to check for a clogged screen on the outlet of the gas tank. I
just posted a question to see if anyone knows if there is a screen on this
model before I go to the lengths of dropping the tank to reach it.
Hope this helps.

Old April 27th 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

That's the start solenoid. When it goes bad your engine shuts off.