Timing Belt Replacement of 97 Concorde

Old June 16th 05, 04:42 PM
Leif

Default Timing Belt Replacement of 97 Concorde

Hi there,

I'm going to buy a used 97 Chrysler Concorde LX (3.5L) with 120,000kms.
The seller told me that he hasn't replaced the timing belt and he has no
manual to check what's the recommended milage to change it. Could anybody
do me a favor to check your manual for this? How much should I pay if I
have to replace the timing belt for this beautiful car?

The seller also said the rear tires need to be replaced soon. Could
anybody help me to estimate the cost for this replacement?

Thanks in advance.

Leif
Old June 16th 05, 05:27 PM
Bob Shuman

Definitely replace the water pump at the same time you do the timing belt
(labor is minimal since you've got it apart at that point) and consider
doing the automatic tensioner and idler as well. It will save you money in
the long run. I don't have my FSM here at work, but suspect that the time
is past due for the belt and it is living on borrowed time.

As to the price, I can't help you there on anything other than the parts. I
seem to recall it cost me around $250 for the water pump, timing belt,
idler, tensioner, and 2 gallons of antifreeze when I did this a couple years
back on a 1996. I also replaced all rubber hoses at the same time.

Bob

. ..

Old June 16th 05, 05:51 PM
Leif

Thanks Bob! I'll replace the water pump as your said if I have to replace
the timing belt.

To my surpise, I read some posts on a Dodge Intrepid forum that suggest
replacing 97 Intrepid's timing belt at 105k miles or 170k kms. I recall
Intrepid is the same as Concorde. I'll be very happy if the figure is
correct :-) Could anybody confirm it?

Thanks again!

Leif

"Bob Shuman" > wrote in
:

Old June 17th 05, 01:55 PM
Bill Putney

According to the gate Timing Belt Guide
(http://www.gates.com/downloads/downl...older=brochure),
105k miles is the correct figure.

In addition to the parts that Bob mentioned, you should also replace the
front crank seal while you're in there.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')