Seat belt laws in the U.S.

Old May 21st 05, 07:12 AM
RichA

Default Seat belt laws in the U.S.

I noticed them running seat belt
ads on American (N.Y.) tv recently.
I'm in Canada and belting has been
manadatory for ages, but is it now
obligatory in all states?
-Rich
Old May 21st 05, 07:35 AM
Garth Almgren

Around 5/20/2005 11:12 PM, RichA wrote:

> I noticed them running seat belt
> ads on American (N.Y.) tv recently.
> I'm in Canada and belting has been
> manadatory for ages, but is it now
> obligatory in all states?

In most states it is, but I believe that there are still a couple holdouts.

--
/ Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
| My V6stang: http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |
Old May 21st 05, 08:19 AM
Spike

On Fri, 20 May 2005 23:35:00 -0700, Garth Almgren >
wrote:

>In most states it is, but I believe that there are still a couple holdouts.

I thought they had all finally fallen in line. Who's left? Idaho?
Wyoming?

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Old May 21st 05, 12:00 PM
Dennis

On Sat, 21 May 2005 00:19:10 -0700, Spike > wrote:

>On Fri, 20 May 2005 23:35:00 -0700, Garth Almgren >
>wrote:
>

>>In most states it is, but I believe that there are still a couple holdouts.

>I thought they had all finally fallen in line. Who's left? Idaho?
>Wyoming?
>
>Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
>1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
>Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
>Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
>w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

In NH it's just children under 16 that needs to be buckled in, when I
lived in GA, pickup trucks were exempt from the seat belt law, that
may have changed since then, I moved 3 years ago.

Old May 21st 05, 12:14 PM
SVTKate

I think that W made it a national thing.

Old May 21st 05, 12:17 PM
SVTKate

Here in 'good ol boy' country, they have just started running ads
"Wear your seat belt in your pickup"
They they show a poor little Ford Ranger doing sommersaults down the road.

I see ont thing out here that really worries me.
People driving with small children on their laps IN TOWN.

If they want to let the little guy "drive" why not do it in the driveway,
not in traffic???

Kate

Old May 21st 05, 08:34 PM
Joe

And how about the morons riding in the pickup bed? They're just
waiting to get bounced out.

"SVTKate" > wrote in
ink.net:

Old May 21st 05, 08:45 PM
RichA

On Sat, 21 May 2005 12:06:09 -0400, ZombyWoof >
wrote:

>On Sat, 21 May 2005 02:12:48 -0400, RichA > wrote
>something wonderfully witty:
>
>>I noticed them running seat belt
>>ads on American (N.Y.) tv recently.
>>I'm in Canada and belting has been
>>manadatory for ages, but is it now
>>obligatory in all states?
>>-Rich
>>

>Pretty much. I think what you saw were the National Transportation
>ads that aren't State specific. "Click it or Ticket" campaigns are
>being very heavily run right now in a lot of states. Virginia, where
>I live, is running it's own campaign right now.
>
>Personally I wish the would focus a little more on things like crime,
>instead of making things such as stupidity (driving without a seat
>belt) a crime. Darwin's theories will kick in and naturally select
>out those who need to be removed from the gene pool for stupidity
>reasons.

Here (Canada) if you were caught and convicted three times for not
wearing a seat belt, your insurance would go up so high
you wouldn't be able to drive. It's two demerit points.
-Rich
Old May 21st 05, 09:27 PM
Spike

That was one of my pet peaveys on patrol. I know my dad and my
grandfather both did it with me, but all it takes is to collide with
something and you have a crushed child. I didn't issue a cite unless
the parent gave me lip about it, but I pulled them over, quoted the
law (impaired vision, impaired driving, etc), explained what was apt
to happen in a low speed collision. Very few made a fuss. Most
admitted they had not that far ahead and thanked me.

On Sat, 21 May 2005 11:17:10 GMT, "SVTKate"
> wrote:

>Here in 'good ol boy' country, they have just started running ads
>"Wear your seat belt in your pickup"
>They they show a poor little Ford Ranger doing sommersaults down the road.
>
>I see ont thing out here that really worries me.
>People driving with small children on their laps IN TOWN.
>
>If they want to let the little guy "drive" why not do it in the driveway,
>not in traffic???
>
>Kate

.. .

Old May 21st 05, 09:34 PM
Spike

I would agree (and some chlorine never hurt either) as far as adults
are concerned. However, kids don't have a choice in what happens. They
need the protection, and if parents won't do so voluntarily, then
there should be a law. Of course, you do have to consider that if the
kids survive and the parent don't, it's very possible that your tax
money will now be supporting more on the rolls. Maybe the law should
require at least one parent to be buckled up?

As for the back of pickups.... I think it's illegal here in California
unless there is either regular seating and restraints installed or
there is a shell. Heck, it's now required that dogs be restrained in
such a way that they can not fall/jump out and be drug/hit or
otherwise injured.

wrote:

>On Sat, 21 May 2005 02:12:48 -0400, RichA > wrote
>something wonderfully witty:
>
>>I noticed them running seat belt
>>ads on American (N.Y.) tv recently.
>>I'm in Canada and belting has been
>>manadatory for ages, but is it now
>>obligatory in all states?
>>-Rich
>>

>Pretty much. I think what you saw were the National Transportation
>ads that aren't State specific. "Click it or Ticket" campaigns are
>being very heavily run right now in a lot of states. Virginia, where
>I live, is running it's own campaign right now.
>
>Personally I wish the would focus a little more on things like crime,
>instead of making things such as stupidity (driving without a seat
>belt) a crime. Darwin's theories will kick in and naturally select
>out those who need to be removed from the gene pool for stupidity
>reasons.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

help with switching Westy driver's seat belt gabriel VW water cooled 0 March 31st 05 05:54 PM
2005 X5 seat belt warning eggman BMW 3 February 15th 05 02:31 PM
2005 X5 seat belt warning fbloogyudsr BMW 0 February 14th 05 04:57 AM
1988 Chevy Nova (a.k.a. Corolla) rear seat belt question L4ou The 4 Is Silent General 1 October 19th 04 12:46 PM
1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Graduate ( Looking for Passenger Seat Belt Assembly) Phil Nolan Alfa Romeo 1 June 4th 04 01:03 PM