Accessories don't work in "On" position

Old April 5th 05, 04:23 AM
Chris Fonville

Default Accessories don't work in "On" position

After leaving my car parked in a parking lot most of today I noticed
while driving home that my radio would go out for just a second when I
hit my brakes. I then stopped to get gas and my seatbelt wouldn't move
forward (I have a 1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse). After getting home and
testing I found that some of my accessories won't work when the key is
in the "On" position without the car being started. The windows don't
work, the seatbelt won't move with the door being opened, and my radio
doesn't work. However my cigarette lighter and air conditioning both
work when it's in the "On" position. What could be causing this? Any
help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Chris
Old April 5th 05, 02:56 PM
Mike Romain

On vehicles from the rust belts, I would immediately think rotted or
broken body ground strap. There should be some kind of mesh cable going
from the engine to the body or a black cable going from the battery
negative to the body. If that body ground is bad, you will get symptoms
like yours.

One test is to use a booster cable from the battery to a ground spot on
the body to see if things start working or if what works changes.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 6th 05, 04:02 AM
Chris Fonville

Mike Romain wrote:
> On vehicles from the rust belts, I would immediately think rotted or
> broken body ground strap. There should be some kind of mesh cable going
> from the engine to the body or a black cable going from the battery
> negative to the body. If that body ground is bad, you will get symptoms
> like yours.
>
> One test is to use a booster cable from the battery to a ground spot on
> the body to see if things start working or if what works changes.
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
>
> Chris Fonville wrote:
>
>>After leaving my car parked in a parking lot most of today I noticed
>>while driving home that my radio would go out for just a second when I
>>hit my brakes. I then stopped to get gas and my seatbelt wouldn't move
>>forward (I have a 1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse). After getting home and
>>testing I found that some of my accessories won't work when the key is
>>in the "On" position without the car being started. The windows don't
>>work, the seatbelt won't move with the door being opened, and my radio
>>doesn't work. However my cigarette lighter and air conditioning both
>>work when it's in the "On" position. What could be causing this? Any
>>help would be appreciated. Thanks,
>>Chris

I checked the ground wire and it seems ok, I also tried the booster
cable with no luck. With advice from another group I checked the 80 amp
alternator fuse and it looks blown. I recently (about a month ago) had
a bad alternator replaced. I was wondering if driving the car tomorrow
will be ok with the fuse blown before I can go to get a new one? Thanks
for your help,
Chris
Old April 6th 05, 11:33 PM
Chris Fonville

Chris Fonville wrote:
> Mike Romain wrote:
>
>> On vehicles from the rust belts, I would immediately think rotted or
>> broken body ground strap. There should be some kind of mesh cable going
>> from the engine to the body or a black cable going from the battery
>> negative to the body. If that body ground is bad, you will get symptoms
>> like yours.
>>
>> One test is to use a booster cable from the battery to a ground spot on
>> the body to see if things start working or if what works changes.
>> Mike
>> 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
>> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
>>
>> Chris Fonville wrote:
>>
>>> After leaving my car parked in a parking lot most of today I noticed
>>> while driving home that my radio would go out for just a second when I
>>> hit my brakes. I then stopped to get gas and my seatbelt wouldn't move
>>> forward (I have a 1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse). After getting home and
>>> testing I found that some of my accessories won't work when the key is
>>> in the "On" position without the car being started. The windows don't
>>> work, the seatbelt won't move with the door being opened, and my radio
>>> doesn't work. However my cigarette lighter and air conditioning both
>>> work when it's in the "On" position. What could be causing this? Any
>>> help would be appreciated. Thanks,
>>> Chris

> I checked the ground wire and it seems ok, I also tried the booster
> cable with no luck. With advice from another group I checked the 80 amp
> alternator fuse and it looks blown. I recently (about a month ago) had
> a bad alternator replaced. I was wondering if driving the car tomorrow
> will be ok with the fuse blown before I can go to get a new one? Thanks
> for your help,
> Chris

Turns out it was the alternator fuse. I got lucky and found a
replacement at the one local auto parts store and changed it out. It
works fine now. Thanks for your help,
Chris

2005 Ford Explorer 4x4 Auto [email protected] Ford Explorer 3 March 31st 05 01:33 PM
Body Work & Welders Rusted Jeep 19 February 11th 05 01:17 AM
'88 accord throttle position sensor insanity!!! [email protected] Honda 6 February 8th 05 08:01 PM
WANT TO BUT A SPYDER......? Bagger Chrysler 0 January 13th 05 06:22 PM
96 Ford Contour Zetec engine - hard to work on? john smith General 0 March 16th 04 11:23 AM