questions on a grand cherokee

Old January 31st 05, 02:41 PM
Snow

Default questions on a grand cherokee

Morning all.
I have a buddy who is looking at buying a 93 grand Cherokee, here's the
details I have, followed by his questions (mainly ones I couldn't answer)

4x4, 4.0L, I6, auto. smog-tested. 216,000 km.

His biggest question was is the inline 6 suitable or should he look for a
v8? I told him the 6 would probably be fine.
I know the usually places on the XJ to look for rust any other places he
should look on this?
any major recall items he should look for? major mechanical issues?
will it comfortably carry 2 adults, 2 teenagers, camping gear etc. ? told
him the xj did in the past but now its getting a little small for the 4 of
us for a trip longer then a week with tents, I figure he will put a hitch
on it (any recommendations?) and tow a 10-12ft tent trailer he has access
too.

I'll pass all your info along to him as he very seldom uses the net (other
then his work) and has very little time to surf at home.

Snow...

Old January 31st 05, 04:11 PM
Dick

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:41:26 -0500, "Snow" >
wrote:

>Morning all.
>I have a buddy who is looking at buying a 93 grand Cherokee, here's the
>details I have, followed by his questions (mainly ones I couldn't answer)
>
>4x4, 4.0L, I6, auto. smog-tested. 216,000 km.
>
>His biggest question was is the inline 6 suitable or should he look for a
>v8? I told him the 6 would probably be fine.
>I know the usually places on the XJ to look for rust any other places he
>should look on this?
>any major recall items he should look for? major mechanical issues?
>will it comfortably carry 2 adults, 2 teenagers, camping gear etc. ? told
>him the xj did in the past but now its getting a little small for the 4 of
>us for a trip longer then a week with tents, I figure he will put a hitch
>on it (any recommendations?) and tow a 10-12ft tent trailer he has access
>too.
>
>I'll pass all your info along to him as he very seldom uses the net (other
>then his work) and has very little time to surf at home.
>
>Snow...

The 4.0 should do the job, but my preference is for the V-8.
Especially if he does much driving at the higher altitudes. The
biggest (expense) problem with the '93 ZJ was the air conditioning
evaporator. These were prone to develop leaks because of poor
welding, and it is quite expensive to tear the dash out to replace it.
If it has already been replaced under the extended warranty, he should
be good to go.

It will certainly carry four people in relative comfort. There isn't
that much more space behind the rear seat over the smaller Cherokee,
but there is always the roof rack. Our '93 was purchased new in Sept
1992, and will probably keep it forever.
Old January 31st 05, 10:41 PM
DougW

Snow did pass the time by typing:
> Morning all.
> I have a buddy who is looking at buying a 93 grand Cherokee, here's the
> details I have, followed by his questions (mainly ones I couldn't answer)
>
> 4x4, 4.0L, I6, auto. smog-tested. 216,000 km.
>
> His biggest question was is the inline 6 suitable or should he look for a
> v8? I told him the 6 would probably be fine.

Depends. Is he planning on lifting it. If so the V8 would be better.
Go for the 5.9 if you can find one. Hell of a strong engine.

I6 is a good engine.

> I know the usually places on the XJ to look for rust any other places he
> should look on this?

Rockers, rear sheet metal behind the plastic cladding and on the inside.

> any major recall items he should look for?

Take the VIN to a dealer and find out what recalls are missing, they keep records.
There were a couple of major issues (steering wheel retaining clip), Alignment
eccentrics, plus a slew of minor ones (shift lockout, kiddo seat, rear belts,
AC accumulator, and probably one or two I'm forgetting)

> major mechanical issues?

Not major, but...
Rotor, Harmonic balancer, cracking exhaust headers (all 4.0 have this).

> will it comfortably carry 2 adults, 2 teenagers, camping gear etc. ?

...... sorta. I routinely carry four co-workers and take trips with a couple
of adults. It's not roomy by any means. Sleeping inside isn't going to happen
unless your short and forget about carrying plywood or long lumber inside.
That's what a trailer is for.

> told
> him the xj did in the past but now its getting a little small for the 4 of
> us for a trip longer then a week with tents, I figure he will put a hitch
> on it (any recommendations?) and tow a 10-12ft tent trailer he has access
> too.

Class III (2") with 7pin connector.

> I'll pass all your info along to him as he very seldom uses the net (other
> then his work) and has very little time to surf at home.

He can read up on what I've had problems with on my website.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks