97 accord tranny question

Old January 30th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 97 accord tranny question

I dont know much about automatic trannies or for that matter cars so my
question might be stupid. I have a 97 accord (4 cyl) 45k miles on it. I
checked the tranny fluid about a 1000 miles ago and it looked reddish not
yellow or dark yellow. The tranny is shifting really well but the problem is
that I hear a loud click followed by a not so loud click click when I shift
the car from neutral to reverse. The click is less loud when shifting from
neutral to drive and it is also followed by a not so loud click. No clicks
or anything when I am driving the car with smooth shifts. However, when the
car comes to a stop the last gear change is hard at times.Is it normal or
should I have it checked?

Thanks!

Old January 30th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

w wrote:
> I dont know much about automatic trannies or for that matter cars so my
> question might be stupid. I have a 97 accord (4 cyl) 45k miles on it. I
> checked the tranny fluid about a 1000 miles ago and it looked reddish not
> yellow or dark yellow. The tranny is shifting really well but the problem is
> that I hear a loud click followed by a not so loud click click when I shift
> the car from neutral to reverse. The click is less loud when shifting from
> neutral to drive and it is also followed by a not so loud click. No clicks
> or anything when I am driving the car with smooth shifts. However, when the
> car comes to a stop the last gear change is hard at times.Is it normal or
> should I have it checked?
>
> Thanks!

Red is normal (I'm sure your manual says so) but just because of the age
of your tranny, you should get the tranny drained and filled a couple or
three times to renew the fluid. Most Hondas make some 'clicks' when
shifting. Sometimes its the tranny but sometimes it's the rest of the
suspension or the brake pads shifting. Usually no worry.

Use ONLY Honda Z1 tranny fluid, and don't get suckered into a 'power flush'.

'Curly'
Old January 31st 07, 07:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Since noone besides Mostco answered me so I am presuming it was a stupid
question to ask so I must thank Mostco for being patient and answering my
question .

Old February 1st 07, 03:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Alrite I had it checked by the mechanic and he also thinks that the sound is
a bit loud. It is especially true when going from neutral to reverse. I have
just had an oil filter change and a brake change which was done using some
special on car lathe machine. Any guesses?

It is a loud click/clunk neutral to reverse.

Thanks!

Old February 2nd 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
maumee

caravan tranny question peter Chrysler 2 April 12th 06 07:14 AM
1998 Accord fog light question. Problem??? FunkyKev Honda 1 April 1st 06 04:09 PM
OEM Honda Parts Catalogs for Sale Joe Honda 0 March 12th 06 02:15 PM
OEM Honda Microfiche parts catalogs for sale Joe Honda 0 March 4th 06 07:30 PM
OEM Honda parts catalogs for sale Joe Honda 0 February 20th 06 11:44 PM